Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 10.0

Penguins have internal knees. WTF
penguin-skeleton-v0-5l7w7214w32b1.jpg

Penguins have internal knees. WTF
penguin-skeleton-v0-5l7w7214w32b1.jpg
I am sure you have seen how many miles they often walk from nesting site to feeding waters, so the adaption of knees and hinged legs for walking makes sense, when you consider that.

But ya still quite an interesting thing to learn for those of us (me) who did not know that.

I am sure you have seen how many miles they often walk from nesting site to feeding waters, so the adaption of knees and hinged legs for walking makes sense, when you consider that.

But ya still quite an interesting thing to learn for those of us (me) who did not know that.

It makes sense, it's just penguin knees are something I've never thought about.

I'm sure there are some invertebrates and other small critters that have internal knees, but I can't think of any other mammal that does.

I'm sure there are some invertebrates and other small critters that have internal knees, but I can't think of any other mammal that does.
I've mentioned prior how much i have always loved nature shows, since watching Wild Kingdom with my late father, as a child.

And some of the most truly distressing videos i have seen in the animal Kingdom involves Penguins. The one where a male penguin returns from the long journey for food, and his mate has accepted another male in to his nest and after a long fight, she chooses the homewrecker penguin over her partner, and he is left deeply distraught.

And another where a penguin couple loses a baby and you can feel their grief...

If i am trying to be fair to that female penguin who dumps her mate for the homewrecker, that is a survival/evolutionary need for the females to be able to adapt to new males easily and move on (as mates often die on the food hunt) as the female, caring for babies can die awaiting a mated return, who dies. And also for males to be tremendous loyal and motivated to get back to the females no matter the cost, for his family to survive.

But when i watch how distraught her mate was i do not want to be fair. F*ck that.

:: cues up 'Those Hoes and Aint Loyal' ::

Penguins are birds…

lol. I’m sure you just meant vertebrates

ALL_PURPOSE_TEMPLATE.jpg

A flock of nearly 80 white storks has been seen in Cornwall for the first time since the Middle Ages.

birdoswald-post-roman.jpg

The last breeding pair to be recorded in Britain was in 1416, nesting on a cathedral in Edinburgh.

The birds are thought to have migrated to the Lizard Peninsula from West Sussex, where they were reintroduced in 2016.

Before that white storks were extinct in the UK, following [the] destruction of their natural wetland habitat, the fens, in the East of England [and wetland elsewhere].

456229234_2787485638094781_1978273507966145552_n.jpg

In 2000 Isabella Tree and her husband Charlie Burrell realised the land on the Knepp Estate in West Sussex no longer worked for modern farming.

They sold their dairy herds and farm machinery and put the arable out to contract - clearing the estate's huge debts.

They decided to re-wild the parkland at its centre - roughly 350 acres - by dedicating it to wildlife conservation.

Establishing a breeding population of free-living white storks was a part of that project.

The releases began in 2016, with the first chicks born four years later.

Screenshot_2024-08-21_at_15.35.55.png

Last edited:
Came across 4 of these today... honestly they are pretty fucking giant. Picture doesn't do it credit

The yellow-tailed black cockatoo is 55–65 cm (22–26 in) in length wingspan up to 110cm ( 3 foot 7 )

Startled the four of them so they flew around the clearing. Took me a moment to realise what they were lol20240827_074222~2.jpg

Giant birds to me

Last edited:

ALL_PURPOSE_TEMPLATE.jpg

A flock of nearly 80 white storks has been seen in Cornwall for the first time since the Middle Ages.

birdoswald-post-roman.jpg

The last breeding pair to be recorded in Britain was in 1416, nesting on a cathedral in Edinburgh.

The birds are thought to have migrated to the Lizard Peninsula from West Sussex, where they were reintroduced in 2016.

Before that, white storks were extinct in the UK, following destruction of their natural wetland habitat, the fens, in the East of England.

456229234_2787485638094781_1978273507966145552_n.jpg

In 2000, Isabella Tree and her husband Charlie Burrell realised the land on the Knepp Estate in West Sussex no longer worked for modern farming.

They sold their dairy herds and farm machinery, and put the arable out to contract - clearing the estate's huge debts.

They decided to re-wild the parkland at its centre, roughly 350 acres, by dedicating it to wildlife conservation.

Establishing a breeding population of free-living white storks was a part of that project.

The releases began in 2016, with the first chicks born four years later.

Screenshot_2024-08-21_at_15.35.55.png

It's amazing. It's also especially awesome because I live very close to where they were spotted in Cornwall. That Lizard Point on that map, I live very near.

Cornwall and nature are making the rounds all of a sudden between this and the newly discovered species of jumping spider found up the road from me.

Cornwall is a pretty small county compared to London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. so it's great to see.

One lady bought some mules at auction, and when they were delivered, one turned out to not be a mule, but a Przewalski horse. Przewalski's are an endangered horse from Central Asia, only about 2500 individuals remain. It's considered the only true wild horse left on the planet.
They're still trying to find out how it ended up at auction. She only paid $35 for it!
Depending on it's genetics, this could be huge for breeding programs.
imrs.php

You might be familiar with this cave painting from Lascaux, France. Some think it's a Przewalski horse.
MTgwMjIz

Now stop and think of all the other things on that cave wall that didn't survive. But that short little horse did.

That is a wild story, thanks for sharing sherbro!

I don't buy that, thats penguin propaganda. They are stinky cute beaked swimmy things, they are in a whole class of their own but definitely not birds.

They definitely are birds. Just flightless birds that uses their 'wings' to swim instead because they don't have the apparatus to fly through the air, their wings are too small for a start. They use their wings to essentially fly through the water instead.

They definitely are birds. Just flightless birds that uses their 'wings' to swim instead because they don't have the apparatus to fly through the air, their wings are too small for a start. They use their wings to essentially fly through the water instead.
Lol How much are the penguins paying you to spread this propaganda?

I've seen that ^^^ documentary before and can attest to its accuracy.

There is a lot of bad information out there for us true sherdoggers, such as them suggesting that if faced with a Silver back in the wild the best way to de-escalate the situation is to sit in a non threatening manner and do not make eye contact.

si8C4tIV8mDUP21wpn6sTZE3f1J_Axe77yqTPxprSYc.png

But we will know this is how a true Sherdogger should handle it, which is no the way normal mortals should.

<{JustBleed}> :meow:

Last edited:
Back