HELP - Obnoxious or Unreasonable Requests or Favors by Friends and How to Say No

How long have you been married and how many children do you have?

There are very real issues that surround pregnancy and there's no denying that but to deny that many women abuse the excuse of being pregnant to justify their lazy and childish personality would be a bit disingenuous.

There are very real issues that surround pregnancy and there's no denying that but to deny that many women abuse the excuse of being pregnant to justify their lazy and childish personality would be a bit disingenuous.

While this is true, disregarding it as an excuse is just going to precipate a fight with my wife, which would only make it harder in the future to get even small concessions out of her when my buddy wants to hang out. There a lot of politicking that goes on in marriage. Want a blowjob? Gotta buy some flowers. Want a guys weekend? You got got to respect wifey's concerns.

You got to pick which hills you're willing to die on.

I only read the first page so I dont know if this was resolved.

Simply tell you're friend he and his wife an child are cool for the weekend. The two dudes need to find a hotel. Detail the reasons why, that you simply dont want strangers in my house for two nights. Your house is not a bed and breakfast.

If you dont want him to come over as well then you have to make up an excuse. Your a lawyer say something work related.

Tell him that it's not a good time because of you and your wifes situation regarding the baby and offer to go grab a drink with him when he's in town so you can explain it face to face with him further. If he's a good friend he'll understand that your wifes pregnancy and preparing the house for your babies arrival (like doing the nursery) are currently your top priority and that having a packed house is a little inconvenient right now.

And did you tell your wife your opinions on pregnancy?

Dude my wife is type one diabetic and did everything like a champ. If your wife becomes helpless because she's a little tired you got problems

I would have no problem telling these freeloaders to get a hotel. Tell them your wife is allergic to dogs and that you're allergic to total strangers crashing at your house

Are the other 2 guys Canadian? If they are, yes. If no, no.

One of the friends could be scda for all we know

Dude my wife is type one diabetic and did everything like a champ. If your wife becomes helpless because she's a little tired you got problems

No one said anything about being helpless. However Im interested if you told your wife on your views on pregnancy.

I'd let them stay. They would have to figure something out about tying the dog up outside though, but I don't mind if the dog is clean, well mannered and flealess. I think that is really why they are asking, many hotels and motels wont allow a dog and will kick them out.

I notice you're worried more because you know your wife wouldn't like it. I know an asian guy married to a Canadian woman and his wife is not really a gracious host, not even to his own family and it causes some friction. Might be a cultural thing.

In the end, you should just tell them the truth. Your wife said no. Why lie?

UPDATE: I told my friend that he and his family can stay (including their dog) but not his two paintball team mates. I told him that allowing strangers to stay at our home was outside our comfort zone. He said he understands. Whether they stay with us or try to find somewhere for all of them to stay together remains to be seen.

if it was him, his wife, kid and dog it would be fine, but his two friends too. Nope

The most of you are some pretty shitty friends.

How does not wanting random strangers to spend a weekend at your house make someone a bad friend? Bad b&b operator? Sure. But bad friend? Nah, only if I sent him and his family away.

if it was him, his wife, kid and dog it would be fine, but his two friends too. Nope

Why would your good friend of 20 years be traveling with two weirdos ? If he trusts them to travel with his wife and child and you trust him, well the odds are they're not so weird unless your friend is questionable or naive. I guess it depends on how much you trust your friend's judgement.

How does not wanting random strangers to spend a weekend at your house make someone a bad friend? Bad b&b operator? Sure. But bad friend? Nah, only if I sent him and his family away.

I have no problems whatsoever with strangers staying at my place, but of course there are people that are uncomfortable with that. However, I was more commenting on the fact that a lot of people were saying that you should make up a lie for not wanting them to stay. That's being a shitty friend. If you don't want them (or their friends) to stay, that's fine...but at least tell your buddy the truth of the matter.

The dog might be a bigger deal to me than the two paintball friends. Probably because I don't have a dog specifically because I don't want my house smelling like dog

I would just say "fuk that, I don't want some dog running around my house" Then followed by "You need to borrow some money for a Kennel?"

Back