Help me---I don't know who any of the boxers are anymore

it may not be in a downward spiral, but boxers sure as hell are not as recognizable as they were in yesteryear. when i was 10 years old(in 92), i knew names such as holyfield, bowe, leonard, even guys like ruddock and morrison and a whole bunch of other boxers. if not for the web i wouldn't know more than 1 or 2 of the fighters from this decade.

box_g_tyson_600.jpg

it may not be in a downward spiral, but boxers sure as hell are not as recognizable as they were in yesteryear. when i was 10 years old(in 92), i knew names such as holyfield, bowe, leonard, even guys like ruddock and morrison and a whole bunch of other boxers. if not for the web i wouldn't know more than 1 or 2 of the fighters from this decade.

You only named Fighters of one division. Right now Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather are close to as recognizable as those names.

You only named Fighters of one division. Right now Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather are close to as recognizable as those names.

two divisions actually(leonard). that one division was strong and recognizable. if not for the internet i would probably know maybe one or two heavyweights, most likely the klitschko brothers and in the other divisions, oscar de la hoya and mayweather. i didnt even follow much boxing in 93, but i was able to name you a whole bunch of current and past boxers of the top of my head. the names were out there, even if you didnt follow the sport.

it wasent just the heavyweights, i knew exactly who james toney was, roy jones, vinny pazienza etc....

For the most part, the key to general popularity of boxing (casual fans) is the heavyweight division. The heavyweight division is in disarray right now and that is why he can't name one boxer today. But I don't give a shit anyway. These past two years have been great and I don't need any casual fan getting comfy on my bar stool. Boxing hasn't had major media support for quite some time and it's doing fine.

For the most part, the key to general popularity of boxing (casual fans) is the heavyweight division. The heavyweight division is in disarray right now and that is why he can't name one boxer today. But I don't give a shit anyway. These past two years have been great and I don't need any casual fan getting comfy on my bar stool. Boxing hasn't had major media support for quite some time and it's doing fine.

Agreed.

OP, I happen to find the current boxers out there very fun to watch. If you can't take the time to familiarize yourself with them, then that's on you.
HBOs card was great - 3 prospects taking on legit opponents.

Back