Help me---I don't know who any of the boxers are anymore

godfather_l.jpg

"keep your friends close but your enemies closer"

J/k :icon_twis:icon_twis

<----

recuhnize

it may not be in a downward spiral, but boxers sure as hell are not as recognizable as they were in yesteryear. when i was 10 years old(in 92), i knew names such as holyfield, bowe, leonard, even guys like ruddock and morrison and a whole bunch of other boxers. if not for the web i wouldn't know more than 1 or 2 of the fighters from this decade.

That has nothing to do with the talent out there though. You used to be able to turn on ABC and see Tyson fight. Thats how so many people got to know guys lke Tyson and why they were so recognizable to so many.

No one can say Boxing is what it use to be,,,,,And i don't see it coming out of iis downward spiral anytime soon

??? I guess you haven't been watching and you are speaking with ignorance. I believe alot of casual boxing fans tuned into the Mayweather/DLH and thought that that borefest represents the state of boxing.

There are many exciting fighters putting on great battles and there are more interesting matches coming this year. Find some Pavlik, Cotto, Calzaghe, Pacquiao, Marquez (either brother), Vasquez, and Montiel fights and let me know if you feel the same way.

I'll admit my favorite fighters are from the past (Will o' Wisp and Sweet P), but I wouldn't dare deny that boxing is doing a killer job at the moment!

For the most part, the key to general popularity of boxing (casual fans) is the heavyweight division. The heavyweight division is in disarray right now and that is why he can't name one boxer today. But I don't give a shit anyway. These past two years have been great and I don't need any casual fan getting comfy on my bar stool. Boxing hasn't had major media support for quite some time and it's doing fine.

It is sad that the popularity seems to ride on having a dominant American heavyweight in the picture. I enjoy watching the smaller guys a bit more anyway.

Im shocked at the bullying assholes on the first page giving the thread starter a hard time. The thread starter is saying someone felt widespread in boxing. Where are the succesfull american HW's? Where is the next Oscar or Tommy Hearns or Marvin Hagler?

Id suggest those who attacked this gentlemen on the first page for airing a point of debate are the trolls not the thread starter and they shouldnt think that building up their post count makes their opinion more knowledgable than the thread starter.

That said Boxing is big in the UK and Europe , and it has enjoyed a upsurge in the incredible fights made in the states in the last 2 years. But look at the stas behind those fights. Most involve veteran champions of the 1990's who will not be with us much longer and arguably these fights should have taken place years ago. The fact they are taking place now proves boxing is in a slump cos the sport needs to make these fights to survive right now, wheras 10 -15 years ago we didnt get so many superfights cos the promoters had more money coming in and more interest in boxing anyway so didnt make the fights they didnt want to but which the fans wanted. Now that isnt the case today these fights are being made as people wont watch the alternatives on offer and even the alternatives are less in quantity. And this is perhaps the first time this has happened in boxing.

Consider this Hopkins is 43, Calzaghe 36, Wright 35, Mosley 36,Oscar 33, Tito 35, Roy Jones 39, Tarver 39, Barrera 33 and Morales 32.

Once these guys go whats coming up with the exception of Floyd and Ricky Hatton and the feather-lightweights isnt that great.

Thats what people are worried about.

Im shocked at the bullying assholes on the first page giving the thread starter a hard time

Shocked? You're new here, so if this shocks you just wait for what's in store when you visit the other boards.

Reza,

Who's to blame if one is not informed about something? Especially considering the internet and the availability of information.

If I were to walk into a biochem lab for a test and were to say, "Oh my God!!! I don't know any of the relevant enzymes." Would the professor say, "Drats! Enzymic news coverage must be dwindling."?

If he doesn't know them, and if he cares enough to come on this board and talk about it then he should be familiarizing himself with them.

Regarding boxing, slump or not (I would dispute that it is in a slump) I'm not watching the sport for it's popularity. If it does well, wonderful. If the mainstream isn't feeling it, or if some don't feel it's X-TREME enough oh well.

Consider this Hopkins is 43, Calzaghe 36, Wright 35, Mosley 36,Oscar 33, Tito 35, Roy Jones 39, Tarver 39, Barrera 33 and Morales 32.

Once these guys go whats coming up with the exception of Floyd and Ricky Hatton and the feather-lightweights isnt that great.

You just cherry picked all the old guys. Barrera and Morales are retired by the way.

Ever heard of Cotto? Margarito? Cintron? Gamboa? Haye? Pavlik? Khan?

Boxing is doing just fine. I'm watching Mijares-Munoz now and just got done watching the Arce fight and enjoyed the heck out of them. Anybody who says what the thread starter did either doesn't know or doesn't care.

Im shocked at the bullying assholes on the first page giving the thread starter a hard time. The thread starter is saying someone felt widespread in boxing. Where are the succesfull american HW's? Where is the next Oscar or Tommy Hearns or Marvin Hagler?

Id suggest those who attacked this gentlemen on the first page for airing a point of debate are the trolls not the thread starter and they shouldnt think that building up their post count makes their opinion more knowledgable than the thread starter.

That said Boxing is big in the UK and Europe , and it has enjoyed a upsurge in the incredible fights made in the states in the last 2 years. But look at the stas behind those fights. Most involve veteran champions of the 1990's who will not be with us much longer and arguably these fights should have taken place years ago. The fact they are taking place now proves boxing is in a slump cos the sport needs to make these fights to survive right now, wheras 10 -15 years ago we didnt get so many superfights cos the promoters had more money coming in and more interest in boxing anyway so didnt make the fights they didnt want to but which the fans wanted. Now that isnt the case today these fights are being made as people wont watch the alternatives on offer and even the alternatives are less in quantity. And this is perhaps the first time this has happened in boxing.

Is this troll-counter punching.

Posted by Pugilistic "You just cherry picked all the old guys. Barrera and Morales are retired by the way.

Ever heard of Cotto? Margarito? Cintron? Gamboa? Haye? Pavlik? Khan?"

I hardly cherry picked anything. Those are the names who have had big bouts recently.Calzaghe V Hopkins, RJJ v Trinidad, Tarver V Woods etc etc
Sure Ive heard of those other guys and your statement only goes to prove my point.
Can you honestly say with the notable exception of Miguel Cotto, that any of those guys are anything special? Would Pavlik have beaten Vito Antuofermo? Are any of that group the next "Hagler,Hearns, Leonard, Ali or Carlos Monzon?" .
Khan is not as good as Prince Naseem was. Haye is very charasmatic but he isnt a Nigel Benn or Chris Eubanks yet. My point is those 2 are not "American" boxing stars and right now it is America which has always been the hub of boxings power base and money that needs to find the new Tysons,Leonards and Hearns to sustain the sport.

My point is those 2 are not "American" boxing stars and right now it is America which has always been the hub of boxings power base and money that needs to find the new Tysons,Leonards and Hearns to sustain the sport.

America's finances have been used differently to sustain the Sport outside of America. Khan is still a baby, so comparing him to a Prime Naseem is premature. If Haye does well at HW, then he might rival the popularity of Benn and Eubank as far the the UK goes.

The older Fighters you named are not the ONLY Fighters to have had big fights, they're just the older Fighters who have had recent big Fights, there have been plenty other big Fights outside of those names. Once again the line is simple, Boxing in America isn't what it used to be per se, but Boxing Worldwide is just fine.

I agree, KAbuki. It's not where it was, but worldwide, boxing is still doing very well.

America's finances have been used differently to sustain the Sport outside of America. Khan is still a baby, so comparing him to a Prime Naseem is premature.

Its not a premature comparison as the comparison is based on what they had done at the same age 20-21. Right now in British boxing all the talk is whether Khan will beat Naseem's record as youngest world titlist and Khan constantly refers to it.

I don't think Khan is as good now as Hamed was at the same stage of their pro careers.

Back