HELP: Chalk question (Rolling Thunder related)

Diligent

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, because I frequently include my Rolling Thunder training in with my other stuff, by the time I start going "heavy" on it, my hands are getting sweaty and my RT is getting slippery and sometimes my towely doesn't seem like it's getting the job done ... so I bought some chalk. I've noticed that a lot of time on my max attempts on the RT, that sweat and 'slippage' really have become a limiting factor. Of the Rolling Thunder training pics I've seen, I see a lot of people using chalk ... but I have never used chalk for lifting, so ...

... Is there a certain way I should put ze chalk on? Do I just rub it all over me hands and RT handle and that's it? Is there anything that I should make sure not to do? Can I eat the chalk?

Chalk doesn't help on RT's. I don't know why, it just doesn't. The right amount of moisture is actually beneficial.

Urban said:
Chalk doesn't help on RT's. I don't know why, it just doesn't. The right amount of moisture is actually beneficial.
What!? ... well, now I'm really confused ...

I'm assuming that's a 'yes' on eating the chalk, though, right?:icon_chee

Yes, of course you can eat the chalk. It's quite delicious, actually.

I decided to divide my life into two eras. The period where I lifted without chalk and then everything after the day I discovered gym chalk.

fat_wilhelm said:
Yes, of course you can eat the chalk. It's quite delicious, actually.

I'm thinking of going ahead and mixing the chalk in with my protein shake to give it that extra thick, malty texture. Mmmm, chalk-ety goodness.

The Big Dipper said:
I decided to divide my life into two eras. The period where I lifted without chalk and then everything after the day I discovered gym chalk.

You discovered gym chalk???? woah!:D

I don't need chalk. I have never used it. THere for I don't know what I am talking about. Randy by TKO round 2.

Fedorable said:
I don't need chalk. I have never used it. THere for I don't know what I am talking about. Randy by TKO round 2.

Word. I hope Randy creams that "Liddell" character. This thread has gone way off topic ... I guess the second post by Urban shoulda been the end:redface: .

I never use chalk anymore and really haven't had any problems with the RT or grippers for that matter. The only thing it really helps me with is pinch work but even then I can get away without it.

Chalk rules. I use it for everything.

Before I drive somewhere, I make sure my steering wheel is nice and chalked up. Before I eat, I make sure I've powdered up my hands and my cutlery. And especially before I go to class, I make sure I've got the magnesium carbonate going on; you never know when you're going to have to chokeslam a sucka, and chalk helps with that.

For the Rolling Thunder - do not use chalk. The handle is plastic (PVC) and chalk makes it very slippery. Like Urban said, moisture is beneficial.

To get the best results, here is what to do.

1. towel off the Rolling Thunder
2. Make sure your hands are clean
3. Add a little sweat to your hands and rub them together until your hands are "tacky" from the moisture.
4. Grip the Rolling Thunder and rub your hands on the Rolling Thunder until it starts to grip with a lot of friction.
5. Lift

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice guys. But seriously, though ... what you guys are saying about not using chalk is making sense to me ... but I can't help but ask WHY then are all of the contenders in the Rolling Thunder competitions (in the photos I've seen) using chalk??? I mean, they are guys who set records and all and they are using chalk ...

what is going on here??!!!

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!!!!

Seriously, though, why are they using chalk?

... and by the way, rather than just bringing up questions and contentions among us on this chalk issue ... I WILL be getting off my bum-bum tomorrow and trying the RT out with chalk after wrestling practice to see if it hinders my grip.

i dont know but i think the guys saying to not use chalk could be living in colder climates or talking about winter, i got my RT a month ago and all i know is theres no way i can grip that thing in my garage on a 40ºC and 98% humidity day without chalk.

Smitty.Diesel said:
For the Rolling Thunder - do not use chalk. The handle is plastic (PVC) and chalk makes it very slippery. Like Urban said, moisture is beneficial.

To get the best results, here is what to do.

1. towel off the Rolling Thunder
2. Make sure your hands are clean
3. Add a little sweat to your hands and rub them together until your hands are "tacky" from the moisture.
4. Grip the Rolling Thunder and rub your hands on the Rolling Thunder until it starts to grip with a lot of friction.
5. Lift

Hope this helps...
just wanna add one thing if you have no sweat handy head over to the tread mills, there should be plenty of fatbodys for you to get some sweat off of, if you are shy just act like you know them and shake your hand... ahah now you have sweaty palms

ok here's my theory,

fat men sweat alot
to much sweat hurts the rolling thunder grip
most men who lift large amount of weight on the rolling thunder are fat

I don't know what to tell you. Most of the Pro pics I've seen show the guys/gals who are setting the records using chalk. I find it beneficial when using the RT.

This might sound weird, but I like to cover my hand in the chalk and then spit on it, just a bit. I don't know , this seems to work the best for me. It almost creates a sticky feeling which definatly helps with the thick bar work.

Just my personal experience. It looks like alot of guys here find it is easier without, so I'm not sure what to tell ya.

Back