Heisenberg VS Al Swearengen VS Tony Soprano

Uh, yes? Tony Soprano, for many reasons, was every bit as complex as Walter White, Don Draper, etc. His character is a cultural icon on a much larger scale than any of the others.

How? Soprano was born into the Game. White was forced into in order to provide for his family before he died. His was a much more impressive character arc.

Baltimore the city itself is the only "character" from the Wire comparable)

n1crh.gif

I) Bryan Cranston
II) Soprano, White, Swearengen
III) White

I haven't seen any of breaking bad yet because Ive been too busy in the last 3 years to keep up with anything really

So I thought Sparky changed his name to Heisenburg because perhaps he had taken up a quantum physics interest in his new job.....lulz

I now understand.

i) James Gandolfini
ii) Tony Soprano/Walter White/Al Swearengen
iii) Probably Walt, Tony has way too many routines where he is vulnerable.

Heisenberg is too smart for Soprano.

You don't see Tony jumping into business with non-made, non-family...

That's how you don't get fucked over by the high school teacher.

Walter let his idiot-partner's, junkie-girlfriend overdose because it helped his own business agenda. Tony killed his nephew, just soz he wouldn't get pop'd for a DUI. Both scenes were super entertaining, but one is much more brutal.

And keep in mind that Tony did everything he did KNOWING the cops would be watching him, his partners and their family.

I loved both shows. But Tony Soprano... there will never be another.

Al Sweringen

Consummate Politician in a brutal era of Lawlessness.

How? Soprano was born into the Game. White was forced into in order to provide for his family before he died. His was a much more impressive character arc.

Walter White wasn't doing anything for his family and his true motivations and decent as a person were great.

Soprano always being a Gangster doesn't make him any less complex, though. Walt's was a one way trip downward while Soprano's was back and forth. No other character could go from near slapatstick goofball to a brilliant street gangster and everything else in between as fast as he could. He didn't do that from the beginning season to the end. He did that from episode to episode, moment to moment. We were always on edge wondering how he would react to a situation. We were always wondering what truly drove him. Was he a sociopath? Were his feelings and his journey in therapy legit? What was his code? Did he have one? Sometimes he seemed to, other times he didn't. This was a guy who could ruthlessly kill someone in a heartbeat with little thought or care, yet cry over ducks.

The Sopranos was literally a show about a mob boss with emotional and psychological issues balancing criminal life with home life and spilling his guts out in therapy. Not sure how you could really ask that question. When you add the complexity of the character with his influence and icon status, he's a better character than Walter White.

Walter White wasn't doing anything for his family and his true motivations and decent as a person were great.

Soprano always being a Gangster doesn't make him any less complex, though. Walt's was a one way trip downward while Soprano's was back and forth. No other character could go from near slapatstick goofball to a brilliant street gangster and everything else in between as fast as he could. He didn't do that from the beginning season to the end. He did that from episode to episode, moment to moment. We were always on edge wondering how he would react to a situation. We were always wondering what truly drove him. Was he a sociopath? Were his feelings and his journey in therapy legit? What was his code? Did he have one? Sometimes he seemed to, other times he didn't. This was a guy who could ruthlessly kill someone in a heartbeat with little thought or care, yet cry over ducks.

The Sopranos was literally a show about a mob boss with emotional and psychological issues balancing criminal life with home life and spilling his guts out in therapy. Not sure how you could really ask that question. When you add the complexity of the character with his influence and icon status, he's a better character than Walter White.

in your opinion right

I love me some breaking bad but Al win all 3 and it's not even close......now open the fucking canned peaches

I still say White had a greater character arc. Tony never really left his comfort zone. He actually mentions to his therapist that in order to rebel against his father, he would have had to got a job selling furniture. He was destined to become a Wise Guy.

White, on the other hand, starts off as a high school chemist who works a second job in a car wash. He only turns to the Dark Side when he realizes he doesn't have much time left. You can argue that his motivation for doing so was as much about satisfying his ego as providing for his family, but that doesn't change the fact that he had to completely reinvent himself. Tony never did that. He was a thug in the first episode and a thug in the last.

I don't think the Sopranos is the best show but Tony Soprano is the single greatest character in tv drama history.

Whoa.

That's pretty well thought out. I'm trying to separate Tony from the fact that I found the show more and more boring as it went on. Right up until the totally boring finale with the lame ending. I agree that Tony was well developed but he seemed more like the same character from start to finish. The growth and change Walt experienced over the duration of the series was profound. But hey, maybe going to the shrink each weak and giving him the world's worst mother is the character development that puts Tony over the top. But that wouldn't explain why I was more interested in what Chris or Furio were up to instead of Tony. At least in BB Walt kept me riveted to his story.

Heisenberg is too smart for Soprano.

Yup. And too smart for anybody who works for Soprano as well. He could take out the whole crew pretty easy. And Jesse could kick Anthony Jr's ass.

Soprano is clearly the dumbest of the 3 here.

Back