Heavy gi for conditioning???

PervertHyena

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Would a heavy gi in training help to improve the conditioning? Does a heavy one give any advantage if you wear it constantly in training or would it be rather a disadvantage?
Sorry if this thread already exists.

I had a heavy kf fighter i sold--it was difficult moving in it and it was heavy -- but when id put my vulkan on id be faster and more comfortable --but i had to sell the kf fighter one cos it annoyed me

I had a heavy kf fighter i sold--it was difficult moving in it and it was heavy -- but when id put my vulkan on id be faster and more comfortable --but i had to sell the kf fighter one cos it annoyed me

I had an HCK comp double. I sold it because you can't move in it. I stick to the vulkan or Koral now and it feels like I'm naked.

my thoughts about this thread was to train with a very heavy gi (37oz.) and compete with a extreme light one.
would this work out for me or is it generally more important to stick with only one gi in order to get used to it?

my thoughts about this thread was to train with a very heavy gi (37oz.) and compete with a extreme light one.
would this work out for me or is it generally more important to stick with only one gi in order to get used to it?

It would work out if you give time with the heavy gi, not 2 weeks then take it off for competition and think you'll be faster. But within like 2 months when you exchange you should notice a improvement in speed. I sure as hell did.

I did the majority of my training in a big heavy HCK gi and then once I switched to a lighter gi, about 5 months later, I noticed a huge difference in my mobility and speed.

I guess its like resistance training haha

I've got the HCK double-weave, and make no mistake, the thing is a BEAST. I bought it for the same reason as you're suggesting.....I thought it would help with my conditioning.

I don't own any particularly light gi's, but I will say that even when I put on my HCK single (which is itself a very heavy gi) I feel lighter than air compared to the double.

If you can find a heavy gi with the same cut as your comp gi, go for it. I've got a Machado gi that is really heavy and great for training. I think is saves money as well by training in a heavy gi as they last longer.

i ordered the heaviest gi around (37 oz per squareyard, the HCK double weave in comparison is 26 oz.) its nearly indestructible (heard that people are competing in judo with him around 8,9 years)
unfortunatly it is a judo gi but not too long or something. heard that a couple of people also roll with it in bjj and ordered it after reading some reviews on joker jiu-jitsu.
now i own a makini gi, its my first and my only gi and i purchased it from a friend. i have no idea if this one is heavy or light and which weave but it seems that the makini is rather a lighter one. but damn, that thing is ugly as hell!
maybe a thick and heavy gi would also help to loose some weight because its some kinda hot in the summer, not?

i ordered the heaviest gi around (37 oz per squareyard, the HCK double weave in comparison is 26 oz.) its nearly indestructible (heard that people are competing in judo with him around 8,9 years)
unfortunatly it is a judo gi but not too long or something. heard that a couple of people also roll with it in bjj and ordered it after reading some reviews on joker jiu-jitsu.
now i own a makini gi, its my first and my only gi and i purchased it from a friend. i have no idea if this one is heavy or light and which weave but it seems that the makini is rather a lighter one. but damn, that thing is ugly as hell!
maybe a thick and heavy gi would also help to loose some weight because its some kinda hot in the summer, not?

Damn, how much did that gi cost? My HCK double was $150

Back