head rattles and hurts when shadowboxing

i dont have the energy for you. if you thikn youre that much better than me im sure you are atleast national championship or fought multiple world champions, so u can have ur opinion

logic doesnt need medals my good friend, " you dont have time for me? I aint your child lol no one is forcing you to reply to me. get a life

It always amazes me when I see questions like this on here, no one is a doctor, and without proper attention none of us know what the hell the problem could be.

Go to the doc and get urself checked out. No matter how bad your technique is you should not be feeling it in your head

/end thread

I use to get headaches when I was dehydrated during class.

Maybe that's the problem?

The best solution is to see the doctor though.

Have not read all the answers but you sound dehydrated to me.

Get yourself checked out tho

I get this throwing elbows on a heavy bag. Feels likeim giving myself whiplash. I presume its because of weak neck muscles or something. Or maybe its normal?

It's not common. I'd seriously find out what's causing it before you do heavy sparring. Find out what the underlying problem is.

Just following up from my initial 2010 post. There have been no brain injuries or anything, and I think the point about shadow boxing without full speed is a good one, as my original theory is still simply that I did not have enough control of my punches to prevent rattling the brain, for whatever reason, which could include A) poor technique, B) weak neck, C) poor flexibility in the back/shoulder/neck and/or D) brain injury or predisposition towards such, or E) a combination of multiple factors.

I would venture a guess that anyone throwing full speed punches (never fully extending but keeping a slight bend) might struggle with this.

I would also like to point out what I think is the benefit to training in such a way. Bags are amazing, yes, but we don't always have bags, and a bag isn't necessarily very similar to hitting a human face with bare fist, so training simply with a "jolt" at the end of the punch can perhaps be a great training tool for practicing bare knuckle fight simulation.

Does it hurt when you hit things such as a heavy bag or a person?
Not trying to hijack the thread but why do you ask this? Cuz I have the same symptoms sometimes and I do get the same symptoms when I jab the bag or jump rope. I usually get this at the beginning. But after a warm up it disappears. Is this a problem?

oops just realized this is 6 years old.

Not trying to hijack the thread but why do you ask this? Cuz I have the same symptoms sometimes and I do get the same symptoms when I jab the bag or jump rope. I usually get this at the beginning. But after a warm up it disappears. Is this a problem?

oops just realized this is 6 years old.

If it isnt dehydration as some pointed out then I would guess that your neck is simply either too weak or too relaxed and when you are warmed up then your neck muscles are as well.

so training simply with a "jolt" at the end of the punch can perhaps be a great training tool for practicing bare knuckle fight simulation.

Firstly, let me congratulate you for following up your post.

Secondly, about what's quoted above, perhaps, perhaps it's total nonsense. Perhaps all you are doing is training at 'jolting' your first near total extension.

I am no expert, but I can tell you are no expert and that maybe you would be best served being a dwarf standing upon the shoulders of giants rather than a dwarf trying comically to stand on your own shoulders.

This could be from not drinking enough water. If I'm dehydrated, I get bad headaches from quick head movement. The snap of the punches while being dehydrated might cause this.

It could also be because your neck muscles arn't strong enough yet. It's important to keep your center of balance when shadow boxing. If you're throwing too hard for yourself to stay centered, you need to throw shorter shots and work your way towards full extensions as your body become accustomed to keeping posture.

Everyone seems to be saying neck muscles now, and, now that I think of it, that has definitely gotten to be it. I have a long neck as well. I'll add some muscle there. Thanks all

@Phlog As far as the "jolt" it is sort of what happens in a one inch punch. Perhaps you have better terminology for it, but I think you know what I mean.

Back