head rattles and hurts when shadowboxing

Slow down and don't extend all the way. Since your not hitting anything and letting your arms extend all the way your probably letting your elbow snap and that it sending vibrations through your body - my guess

Just slow down and don't extend your arms out all the way

sounds about right. Ive shadowboxed with full extension my whole life its so hard to change it, but i realize the headaches only come after doing it extensively. It do 3 different jab & slip drills about 100 times spread out through the day, every day, so this is probably the main cause

lol, all the broscientists in here saying you shouldnt shadowbox with speed and power enjoy some pacman videos

If full power punches are dangerous to throw in the air, what do you do when you miss during a fight?

If full power punches are dangerous to throw in the air, what do you do when you miss during a fight?

One question does not have to do with the other, but OK.

Full power punches have their place, but if that's all you're doing when you shadowbox then you're doing it wrong. When all you do is full power punches you risk over-extending/reaching and getting a sore elbow. Plus when a fight comes, you won't even do that. If you do, then you're not very good. And if you're not putting into fights & sparring what you drill then you're a mess, & if your're drilling some garbage moves then you're just wasting your time as well as the coaches.

My trainer back in Puerto Rico told me once, the worst punch is the one you throw and do not land. You risk a dislocated shoulder, getting countered, looking bad & being off balace. What you do when you miss a shot is leave your lead hand out to touch the opponents glove, head or arm. This is called control. If not, your secondary option is to angle out of their using movment.

I found if i didn't drink enough water then I could get a headache from hitting pads/a bag, but never shadow boxing.

When I throw combos in the air hard, often it vibrates my head and can give me a headache.

Is this common?

Go see a doctor and get some medical imaging on your brain/head.

Seriously the last guy who posted a thread about strange sensations in the head during training not related to impacts to the head came back a few years later and said that it turned out to be a benign brain tumor behind his eye.

Last edited:
Go see a doctor and get some medical imaging on your brain/head.

Seriously the last guy who posted a thread about strange sensations in the head during training not related to impacts to the head came back a few years later and said that it turned out to be a benign brain tumor behind his eye.

It always amazes me when I see questions like this on here, no one is a doctor, and without proper attention none of us know what the hell the problem could be.

Go to the doc and get urself checked out. No matter how bad your technique is you should not be feeling it in your head

After my punch stops in the air, sometimes it vibrates up through my neck and just basically shakes my head some.

An easy example, if I am just standing in a horse stance, and throw punches at mid level, if I don't pull back properly with the other punch, it can end up rattling my head.

I look at it like, if I pull back my opposite hand properly, I send the energy circularly around my torso, rather than lose some going upward, energy that could have been used as a spring for my punch.

But yea, I should slow it down and get control. Although, going faster than my brain can handle at times, can be a good way to break barriers.

That sounds like a muscle spasm. Throw slower and stretch more, that might help a lot.

lol, all the broscientists in here saying you shouldnt shadowbox with speed and power enjoy some pacman videos

He isnt throwing full power shadowboxing either. Thats why he doesnt throw 900 punches a round, like he could just shadowboxing.

Also,
we aren't talking about pacman.

We are talking about a guy on an internet forum who is getting pain in his head from shadow boxing.

And we are all trying to "diagnose" his problem.

A sound explanation could be too fast, fully extending and throwing too hard of punches for what this guy said he is experiencing

Also,
we aren't talking about pacman.

We are talking about a guy on an internet forum who is getting pain in his head from shadow boxing.

And we are all trying to "diagnose" his problem.

A sound explanation could be too fast, fully extending and throwing too hard of punches for what this guy said he is experiencing

theres nothing wrong with fully extending, being fast and throwing hard.. pacman throw hard as he can a lot shadowboxing..

theres nothing for us to diagnose, u cant teach such a problem through text. go get medical help.

but, in the context of shadowboxing - if he cant do any of those things stop it for now instead of doing a half ass imitation that just trains bad motor skills.

edit : bonus tip for everyone rteading, stretch and strengthen your bicep directly every other day and u can throw full extnesion 5 punches per second combination without elbow discomfort, enjoy

theres nothing wrong with fully extending, being fast and throwing hard.. pacman throw hard as he can a lot shadowboxing..

theres nothing for us to diagnose, u cant teach such a problem through text. go get medical help.

but, in the context of shadowboxing - if he cant do any of those things stop it for now instead of doing a half ass imitation that just trains bad motor skills.

edit : bonus tip for everyone rteading, stretch and strengthen your bicep directly every other day and u can throw full extnesion 5 punches per second combination without elbow discomfort, enjoy

I can't agree. First of all, Pacquiao pulls his punches back. He never fully extends, find me ONE video where he's extending his punches shadowboxing.

Second, I stretch for about 3 rounds at the gym. BEFORE the gym I have school, in school I take wrestling, in wrestling I get my full body stretch. Yet I STILL would get elbow pains if I threw too hard while reaching. Hell I could even dislocate my shoulder.

Doesn't seem like full speed to me...

Doesn't seem like full speed to me...

whats the point of this video? are u comparing the shadowboxing of bernard hopkins to the guy who rattles his head while he shadowbox? wtf is this garbage. i do slow shadowboxing daily. but when i am in the gym its quick, power shadowboxing and i stretch my arms out fully. been doing that for close to 10 years without shoulder or elbow discomfort, i think that speaks for itself.

go on youtube type in pacquiao i found a video where he stretches his arm

[YT]1k9gEjICaTE[/YT]

in case of being accused of contradicting myself, theres a difference between being 'able' to do those and actually do it, when u slow shadowbox u still feel ur muscle u can do all of those

Pacquiao isn't reaching though, that's not even power shots he's throwing. I know this is his regular shadowboxing, but I just don't like his form. He's going through it way too quick, he's practicing something he'll never use in the ring.

ANYBODY could do what Pacquiao is doing in that video speedwise. I would explain how, but it's hard to type it, All you need to do is tap your feet with your punches. Look at the other guys shadowboxing, they have just about the same speed as Pac when they shadowbox in that video.

Main thing is, he's not reaching. Pac is keeping his jabs at the max length he should. His shoulder never passes his jaw.

Pacquiao isn't reaching though, that's not even power shots he's throwing. I know this is his regular shadowboxing, but I just don't like his form. He's going through it way too quick, he's practicing something he'll never use in the ring.

ANYBODY could do what Pacquiao is doing in that video speedwise. I would explain how, but it's hard to type it, All you need to do is tap your feet with your punches. Look at the other guys shadowboxing, they have just about the same speed as Pac when they shadowbox in that video.

Main thing is, he's not reaching. Pac is keeping his jabs at the max length he should. His shoulder never passes his jaw.

i dont know what reaching means

oh this is definitely useful, going forward with quick punches is great.. and to put together quick combinations with many punches. which is something i think ur boy broner lacks when he follow up btw. too much walking compared to punching while moving.

whats the point of this video? are u comparing the shadowboxing of bernard hopkins to the guy who rattles his head while he shadowbox? wtf is this garbage. i do slow shadowboxing daily. but when i am in the gym its quick, power shadowboxing and i stretch my arms out fully. been doing that for close to 10 years without shoulder or elbow discomfort, i think that speaks for itself.

go on youtube type in pacquiao i found a video where he stretches his arm

[YT]1k9gEjICaTE[/YT]

in case of being accused of contradicting myself, theres a difference between being 'able' to do those and actually do it, when u slow shadowbox u still feel ur muscle u can do all of those

No I bring it up, but you really don't know what you ate talking about... Just because you CAN something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

And shadowboxing isn't a high intensity activity - measured pace, technical and deliberate.

No I bring it up, but you really don't know what you ate talking about... Just because you CAN something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

And shadowboxing isn't a high intensity activity - measured pace, technical and deliberate.

i dont have the energy for you. if you thikn youre that much better than me im sure you are atleast national championship or fought multiple world champions, so u can have ur opinion

Back