head rattles and hurts when shadowboxing

Onericali

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When I throw combos in the air hard, often it vibrates my head and can give me a headache.

Is this common?

Damn, if your head hurts while shadowboxing, find another sport .
You will probably die in a sparring session,lol.

Does it hurt when you hit things such as a heavy bag or a person?

Haha.

No it doesn't hurt when bracing against a hit, hitting a bag etc..

Just when I throw full speed in the air, like I don't send the energy out right, and I lose some upwards. I know that if I pull my other hand back just right, it can circle the energy around, but, I think I might just need to do some neck bridges or something.

So not only is shadowboxing too rough an activity for you, you also answer your own question...

Yep, you suck.

Don't throw 'full speed' in the air. Shadowboxing is about learning proper technique. If you punch and it hurts your head, the technique is off--in that it is having the complete opposite effect it is suppose to have.

Where exactly does it hurt?

Maybe your brain shrunk or some shit. I suggest shoving an absurd amount of cotton as deep as you can in your ears, so it cushions your brain.

Don't throw 'full speed' in the air. Shadowboxing is about learning proper technique. If you punch and it hurts your head, the technique is off--in that it is having the complete opposite effect it is suppose to have.

Haha, can't help it give good info even while shit talking?

;) Thanks..

Where exactly does it hurt?

After my punch stops in the air, sometimes it vibrates up through my neck and just basically shakes my head some.

An easy example, if I am just standing in a horse stance, and throw punches at mid level, if I don't pull back properly with the other punch, it can end up rattling my head.

I look at it like, if I pull back my opposite hand properly, I send the energy circularly around my torso, rather than lose some going upward, energy that could have been used as a spring for my punch.

But yea, I should slow it down and get control. Although, going faster than my brain can handle at times, can be a good way to break barriers.

I assume then that you are doing karate? With most shadow boxing, and kihon practice in karate, you shouldn't be swinging with full strength, and you shouldn't extend all the way. It isn't good for your joints. The point is to have control and practice techniques and (with shadow boxing) combos.

hey but did you ever solve this i have the same problem, sucks lol, u try ur hardest every shot u try to get it right, u try all day and ur head hurts like hell

Actually yes i had it happen one time when throwing elbows on the pads full power. I shook my head so violently that it hurt. Easy solution is to keep your head still.

Watch shadow boxing videos on Youtube and see if you can find a single professional fighter that throws full power punches. You won't. You're doing it wrong.

6918_press03-001.jpg

If your brain is rattling inside your skull you probably shouldn't blow your nose so much before working out. Leave a little snot in there for padding.

the same thing happens to me, except im throwing my punches with pretty good technique, and when i keep my chin tucked, the snap of my punch rattles my head a bit and gives me a headache, im tensing my neck a lot when i do it but thats to soften the force from the snap of the punch. Is there such thing as exertion headaches, because its either that, or the the power of my punch is kinda shockwaving up to my neck and head.

I've heard about 4 female students mention that martial arts in some form or another "rattles their brains" but never a male.

Not sure what causes it, but my theory is weak neck muscles, or failing to brace properly.

(again, just a theory)

dont try to throw the punches so hard. Work slowly on form and technique, then add speed. And if you still get headaches, try it with a mouthguard while biting down hard.

Slow down and don't extend all the way. Since your not hitting anything and letting your arms extend all the way your probably letting your elbow snap and that it sending vibrations through your body - my guess

Just slow down and don't extend your arms out all the way

Back