Having your own power rack is awesome

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm sure this is pretty obvious, but man it's even better than I thought it would be.

I can grunt/yell/fart as much as I want to

I don't have to worry about finding a spotter

I can roll out of bed with my hair a mess and crusty eyes and workout in my underwear

I never have to wait for anyone to be finished with equipment (this alone was worth the money)

Zero drive time, and zero packing gym bag time.

I don't have to smell the stinky guy at the gym

On the other hand, if I AM the stinky guy, I don't feel obligated to shower before working out just to save other people's noses. I can just lift stinky and shower after.

I don't have to listen to shitty gym music.

I don't have to wipe other people's nasty sweat off the bench before use

I have a huge reminder staring me in the face every day that says "get over here and lift, you lazy bastard, because if you don't, you wasted a shitload of money on me"

If you've been on the fence about getting your own, I highly recommend it. I don't miss the gym at all.

Owning a power rack is awesome because you can stink, fart and don't have to shower.

Got it.

Wish I had a place for one. Would never go to the gym again.

For sure. I have one at my house back in the states. Where I am now, it's almost out of he question. I mean a rack is defiantly out of the question here but squat stands are do able.

But yeah, I agree 100%. At my house back home I have a rack, bench, 3 bars, bumper plates, lots of regular weights, garage floor covered in horse stall matts, concept 2 rower, a dozen kettle bells, trap bar, pull up dip stand. It was perfect.

Here in China, I have a barbell, trap bar, and a bunch of plates, a few kettle bells and a sandbag....not as good.

I'll take training at a great gym, with great training partners and friends, over training alone at home. Even if I could spend a ludicrous sum on a home gym.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've always trained at home and on my own 99% of the time. I bought a power rack a couple of years ago and it's the best purchase I ever made.

All I need now is an olympic weights set to replace my regular 1" weights, and my home gym will be pretty much complete :)

I'll take training at a great gym, with great training partners and friends, over training alone at home. Even if I could spend a ludicrous sum on a home gym.

But couldn't you just invite your friends and training partners over to your place if you had a home gym? I mean for every person you like at the gym there has to be 10 more that are annoying.

agree 100%

i made a home gym with just a power rack and a c2 rower. awesome. actually now that i think about it there was one neighbour who used to go batshit cray whenever i dropped the bar after say a heavy dl or an oly lift, so that is one negative, sorta.

i agree with tosa. Lifting with a group of friends who have similar goals is way better than lifting alone.
I normally lift at a place where I never have to share a platform, and weights and squat racks. It is professional looking. But I have gone out of my way (drive 1hr out) to lift in a garage because my teammates can give me cues, support, and overall, it's better for me to make progress that way

But couldn't you just invite your friends and training partners over to your place if you had a home gym? I mean for every person you like at the gym there has to be 10 more that are annoying.

Like Ironwolf said, I don't train at a typical commercial gym.

While I understand that not everyone can find a great gym to train at, and it might work better to train at home, I do think it's worth making an effort. For example, in addition to the gym I train at, I just recently discovered that there's a weightlifting club at one of the city gyms where I live - has it's own room, 9 platforms, eleiko bars and plates, kitchen.

Not a big deal for me personally, and it's not a very suitable gym for powerlifting, but I find it very interesting that I could be completely unaware of the existence of such a gym for so long.

You forget you dont have to wait for the dude curling in the rack and trying to not rage.

The biggest advantage is the amount of time it saves you.

Agreed, having a power rack at home is awesome. It's even better if you have that and a good gym membership ^^

I love mine. Not only can I dry all my gis on it between sessions, it's very easy to lift and also take care of my son or cook food between sets. Throw in some biscuits and a huge ass skillet of sausages, finish the last few sets, and eat well. It's a good time. Plus my wife doesn't give me nearly as much grief for lifting at home as she does for going to BJJ/Judo/MMA which requires 20-45 minutes of driving both ways in addition to the training time.

Agreed. But I still keep my $10/month membership cause I'm not deadlifting in a apartment.

Agreed. But I still keep my $10/month membership cause I'm not deadlifting in a apartment.

I deadlift in an apartment....It isnt ideal but its doable. I got some of those cheap blue and red puzzle mats and stuck a piece of plywood on top so its like a ghetto platform with a bit of cushioning to protect the tile.

But yeah, dropping the weight is a no go.

. For example, in addition to the gym I train at, I just recently discovered that there's a weightlifting club at one of the city gyms where I live - has it's own room, 9 platforms, eleiko bars and plates, kitchen.

Completely off topic, but care sharing the name of said gym/club? I'm gonna be moving up there very soon and need a good gym. (I'm certain that I've seen you are at the UAPA right?)

Is it considered having your own rack if you have the keys to the gym and can go when it's closed to do your own thing?

If so....then yes, it is cool to have your own rack. \m/

Completely off topic, but care sharing the name of said gym/club? I'm gonna be moving up there very soon and need a good gym. (I'm certain that I've seen you are at the UAPA right?)

It's at the O'leary Rec Centre. Despite the name, the UAPA is good for weightlifting, although it's now members only, so you need club membership in addition to gym membership. There's at least one other dedicated weightlifting gym, but I've never been there.

Back