Has there been a bigger entertainment discrepancy?

Everytime Justin fights, you now that's going to be either KOTN or FOTN. You know the fight is gonna be nuts from the opening bell. Don't lie and act like Khabib fights are in the same league.

Khabib is great to watch from a technical perspective, but everybody isn't interested in the mechanics of grappling. Shit like slams and exciting submissions and shit are.

That being said tho, I think there's being greater differences in entertainment value between fighters before. Khabibs gnp is most exciting but we didn't see it in the Dustin fight much.

If you don’t enjoy watching a world class grappler dismantle his opponents then you might want to stick with boxing.
Stop being childish. You know Khabib's not entertaining. That's the point of this thread.
Justin is an entertaining fighter, but I also like watching Khabib smesh.
Watching the best and most skilled fighters entertains me. Now back to you. Why even watch MMA?
You have kicked back, cranked up Fight Pass and rewatched Khabib vs Al Iquinta, for example? Khabib vs Barboza cause it was so entertaining? Him vs Pat Healy, I mean, my goodness... what a fun time?

Is Gaethje vs Khabib the biggest gap between a boring fighter and an entertaining fighter we've ever seen?

Talking strictly in cage here, as Khabib can be entertaining enough outside of it, but Gaethje is arguably the most entertaining fighter ever and Khabib is Khabib. I get that some of his fans will pretend like they watch his fights for entertainment but whatever, let them lie. I'm talking to the normal people here - is this it? Or was Maia vs Andy worse? Mas vs Usman? What if Masvidal vs Colby happens - would that be worse?

What match up would trump the gap between Justin/Khabib, in your opinion?

EDIT: I don't mean just the fight itself, but their career equity. Maia vs Silva, for example, wouldn't just contend as a boring fight but we're talking their entire careers into consideration.
I never was into gaethje, prior to 2.0 and even afterwards, I was not sold on him. Reason why I didn't like him because I don't like bar fights type of style. Always thought he's dangerous though. He's refined his game but let's see what happens today.

I prefer skilled technicians. That's always been my style. Technical brawler, not so much but skilled dude who gets in, do damage and not take damage is more interesting to me.

Watching Conor fight would have more entertaining value for me than say watching ngannou fight.

And so forth. If you get the knock out, great but if not I don't fucking care.

...That being said tho, I think there's being greater differences in entertainment value between fighters before. Khabibs gnp is most exciting but we didn't see it in the Dustin fight much.
Like I said earlier, I think it's fun to tune in live. Basically, post MSG Khabib, once he started fighting nothing but known names, it's fun to watch it play out the first time. But, ultimately, once the real time intrigue is over - there's nothing to revisit. The fight is boring. Contrast that to Tony Ferguson's body of work, for example, where every fight is like an action movie. You can just kick back and watch his fights.

That's what I mean here. Maia isn't boring in real time either, seeing guys try and deal with his snakey ways, but who goes back and watches that stuff?

I never was into gaethje, prior to 2.0 and even afterwards, I was not sold on him. Reason why I didn't like him because I don't like bar fights type of style. Always thought he's dangerous though. He's refined his game but let's see what happens today.

I prefer skilled technicians. That's always been my style. Technical brawler, not so much but skilled dude who gets in, do damage and not take damage is more interesting to me.

Watching Conor fight would have more entertaining value for me than say watching ngannou fight.

And so forth. If you get the knock out, great but if not I don't fucking care.
This is fair. High level flash, not cave man flash. I get it.

Like I said earlier, I think it's fun to tune in live. Basically, post MSG Khabib, once he started fighting nothing but known names, it's fun to watch it play out the first time. But, ultimately, once the real time intrigue is over - there's nothing to revisit. The fight is boring. Contrast that to Tony Ferguson's body of work, for example, where every fight is like an action movie. You can just kick back and watch his fights.

That's what I mean here. Maia isn't boring in real time either, seeing guys try and deal with his snakey ways, but who goes back and watches that stuff?
In terms of the fights as a whole I agree here.

I think people would go back and watch to see how Khabib might have set things up and what not though, the technique. But yeah, he's not winning any fight of the year awards.

Not that i agree with you on Khabib being boring but i'll say Yan vs Dodson.

Last edited:
Stop being childish. You know Khabib's not entertaining. That's the point of this thread.

You have kicked back, cranked up Fight Pass and rewatched Khabib vs Al Iquinta, for example? Khabib vs Barboza cause it was so entertaining? Him vs Pat Healy, I mean, my goodness... what a fun time?
I haven’t rewatched a fight in ages, no matter who is involved. I will make an exception for some Pride fights from 2005 era though, but mostly from nostalgia.

Rewatching a fight to me has nothing to do with entertainment value. I don’t rewatch hockey games either, no matter how great.

I haven’t rewatched a fight in ages, no matter who is involved. I will make an exception for some Pride fights from 2005 era though, but mostly from nostalgia.

Rewatching a fight to me has nothing to do with entertainment value. I don’t rewatch hockey games either, no matter how great.
Fair enough. I do, though. To me, a good fight is far more fun to rewatch than most action movies and TV shows these days. And yet I'm being called a fake fan who should stick to boxing.

I'm right, though. You all know I'm right. You don't rewatch his fights. Khabonor at best, when it's a Free Fight on the channel and, ironically, it's cause of Conor, not Khabib.
You're wrong. I've rewatched all of Khabibs fights at least 5 times. I havent even seen all of Conors fights and I've never watched his fight twice except vs Khabib. I've never watched a Gaethje or Ferguson fight twice, but I've seen all GSP and Fedor fights multiple times.

Some people like grappling, the majority likes striking. Deal with it. I find kickboxing matches extremely boring, except when its actuall skill involved (Machida, Wonderboy etc).

If i wanna see a street brawl I just go to Youtube and watch some random dudes punching each other at a party.

This is fair. High level flash, not cave man flash. I get it.
Yeah, I coincidentally watched his debut card. He had a lot of hype coming into the UFC, I didn';t know about but I just happened to have the fight on. I thought man, this dude is going to end up punch drunk. I don't like the way he fights. He's a savage though, but I don't like the way he fights. The game is hit and not be hit. lol.

I'm consistent with this. Dustin Poirier vs hooker, I didn't like either. People calling that match of the year. I didn't like it. I thought dustin made it a war when he didn't have to if only he fought a little smarter.

It kinda amazes me that fans cheer gaethje's type of fighting on earlier in his career. I guess fans don't really think about the long term implications of taking damage. It's kinda sad to see to be honest. Yeah, its what they signed up for but still. I still want fighters to have a reasonable quality of life after they're done fighting.

Last edited:
What views? On Khabonor?
Shalorus, Dustin, RDA, Iaquinta and the Michael Johnson one. Many people rewatch Khabibs fight and I'm sure people wouldn't if they didn't enjoy his fights lol.

I watch smesh. I enjoy.

This^^

Khabib-1027620.jpg
lol such a stupid fucking sentiment

hey if you find James Harden's style of basketball boring just quit watching the NBA!

different people prefer different shit we can all watch the same sport and come away having enjoyed different aspects you fucking weirdos

if you find it amusing to see a guy lay on another and wrap his legs around their legs, awesome. more power to you.

Elias vs Thiago Santos is pretty high up there

Back