Opinion Has the Israel/Palestine conflict divided people in your life?

Has this conflict further divided people in your life?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a little heated discussion with one co-worker who is Christian and pro-Israel and thought I would be on his side because I’m Jewish, but found out I’m pretty neutral which to an extremist can seem oppositional.
Christians “love” the Jews because they think it will fulfill their prophecy and then afterwards Jesus will murder every single one of you that doesn’t convert. What a lovely group of people

America is an interesting place, because a lot of people here don’t understand Judaism on any level. It’s just white people with a different religion, who may or may not live in the desert. If you think I’m joking, get out there and talk with people; the only ones really tuned in are the zealots and those interested in politics.
FT_19.08.02_JewishReligiousKnowledge_featured.png

So, no, not really. I heard a family member talking about it not too long ago, and a co-worker of my gf was saying some very weird stuff about the end of times, but outside of that… not a lot of rabid fights about the war. But that’s probably because of my current social circle: if I were involved with a muslim family, or a Jewish one, or my current social circle was very religious (Christian), or I was involved with campus leftists or Uber-conservatives, then things might be different. All those were very real possibilities in the past, though. (And who knows what holiday season will bring in terms of dinner conversation.)

I, too, have not been hyper-following the news after the horror of the initial three days. Not like I did for the Russian invasion, which I also haven’t been following as much, either. It’s sad, especially when one considers the origins of this latest conflict: religious war fueled by powers both in the west and the east.

It is interesting to me not because of any division between people I know, but my brother’s wife is Jewish. Her family is very woke, limousine liberals. Wouldn’t call them zionists, or even very religious, but they do go to Israel and know lots of people there. They are pretty taken a back and shocked by seeing the BLM crew they very much supported, turn into Jew haters without a second thought.

wouldn’t say it has quite red pilled then yet, but they have been pretty shocked.

showed this video to her dad this past weekend, and he couldn’t believe it.

My circle of friends and relatives didn't even pay attention to the war against Al Qaeda, the Afghan war and Iraq. A few days after 9-11 barely anyone talked about it. Most of my male friends are conservative or apolitical.

My anecdotal experience from the 80s onwards: Americans do not pay attention to foreign issues, even if the US is involved.

My circle of friends and relatives didn't even pay attention to the war against Al Qaeda, the Afghan war and Iraq. A few days after 9-11 barely anyone talked about it. Most of my male friends are conservative or apolitical.

My anecdotal experience from the 80s onwards: Americans do not pay attention to foreign issues, even if the US is involved.
It’s not just politics either, it’s everything. My dad doesn’t even know who Ronaldo is but outside of the USA he’s easily more famous than any American celebrity. People are shocked that someone can be that famous and not come out of Hollywood. Then you have China and India and obviously their celebrities are hugely popular due to their population size. Kpop groups from South Korea have massive worldwide followings too. There’s also the fact less than half of Americans even own a passport and the ones that do use it to go to Canada or Mexico mostly. Yup we’re an ignorant bunch

No - but none of my friends or family are Jewish, Israeli or middle-eastern. Have no connection to this whatsoever.

We've talked about it, but we are not divided even if we disagree.

I think overall the prevailing hope is that there is peace - no matter which side you think is at fault.

Not in my personal life but I think it's an interesting litmus test. I find a lot of people picking sides and simply dividing the conflict into "oppressor vs. oppressive" and then justifying anything their side does in that name.

In reality, it's a unique situation that we've never really seen before, is very nuanced and the worse part, has ethno and religious tribalism thrown into the mix. I can acknowledge that the Palestinians are oppressed while also saying that Hamas is evil and if they had their way, Jews would eradicated from the land. I'm not going to be stupid and pick a side. Both sides have their claims and both are committing atrocities. It's a complete shit show and it's never going to end.

Nobody cares about some random sandpeoples squabbling

We've got more important stuff to worry about

Jesus christ no. Neither me, my family or any of my friends associate with psychopaths.

Honestly, this terrible shit couldn't have come at a worse time. We have already been destroying eachother after donald trump's presidency and covid, and this conflict is like a really shitty cherrie on top of those things. All the innocents dying on both sides is downright terrible, obviously

I don't even know whos trying to deceive me more, Israel or Hamas. I have completely stopped paying attention because I can't tell what is true anymore. And my position has changed because of this.

And worse, people are fighting at my work, in my family, and online of course

Has this conflict broken up people in your life? Does this make you sad? I just want to appeal to your human side. Is there an off ramp where we can regain some sanity here, or are we just fucked basically after the last 5-8 years?

*I'm not blaming everything on trump, I'm just stating the downward sprial started in either 2016, or 1999

It's not the sort of subject I would raise with many people in 'the real world', but I've been pretty impressed that all friends and family members that have raised it with me have been in total support of a ceasefire, and critical of the Israeli government and the IDF for their inhumane (too long, too drawn out, too murderous) response to a vile terrorist atrocity.

So my answer is 'no'. People here aren't divided on it. They feel Israel has long gone from being the victim, and is now very much the hostile wrong doer.

I think if Israel stopped the bombing very, very soon, they might not get tarnished long term - but I'm worried Netanyahu and his gang are more than just a little tone deaf.

People we don’t know killing each other on the other side of the world? No one cares about that unless you have family over there or are financially tied to that part of the world. And I don’t mean I own 10 shares of Raytheon stock.

Don't think I have anybody in my life who cares enough about this shit to fight over it. Maybe one or two have mentioned it and that's about it, the rest doesn't even talk about it.

No, I'd call them losers and get them out of my life... If people close to you want to have conflict using things they have zero control over and know nothing about they have deeper issues...

And people act like Trump or Israel or whichever excuse is the reason for them acting like criminals and assholes, it's not, they're street rats in their being...

I feel like people should only be hanging out with people who share the same values as them. Normies that thought having relationships and friends with different politics was healthy are going to learn that isn't the case the moment they actually give a shit about something.

My sherlife is upside down ….

no, I dont have imbeciles in my life.
I should explain that Im in a unique situation

I come from a religiously diverse family and also serve in the military, I have friends currently in Syria and Jerusalem. So I guess Ive just been absorbed by this more than an average person has, though I don't want to be. I want to get as far away from this wacko shit as humanly possible.

I'm thinking about getting out and moving to some fly over state in the US. If any of you have a house for sell, let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back