Has Silva always clowned around?

pretty much.. He tries to bait them into his reach so that he can feel comfortable and fight his fight. If you look at the weidman and bisping fight , when they didn't fall for it= he was beat.
But Weidman did fall for it though. It just didnt work out. It was just the wrong gameplan to try on someone with hands and reach like weidman

But Weidman did fall for it though. It just didnt work out. It was just the wrong gameplan to try on someone with hands and reach like weidman
How did Weidman fall for it?? Weidman knows he has heavy hands and waited for anderson to begin his antics and caught him.

10001175.gif
33c9no2.jpg

2efi93m.jpg
tumblr_inline_mq9cloMz5V1qz4rgp.gif
tumblr_inline_mq9a8sYZ8l1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_inline_mq9balg9Zc1qz4rgp.gif

Didn't start until later in his career he was all business in the Leben and Franklin fights it might have been after he fought Griffin is When he started doing it.

It was there in the Leites fight, just not as aggressive as the Maia fight, but Maia was terrified to come in, so Anderson turned it up to 11. Leites at least sort of tried for a little bit.
It wasn't the same thing. What I'm talking about is where it's sheer fuckery, with no intent to actually return fire.

If you mean just showing a little disdain for the opponent, or throwing creative/weird strikes, he's been doing that since stuff the Azeredo fight lol

But the "clowning around" as I understand it is where he's not even intending to capitalize on openings or fire back, he's literally just clowning around, i.e. not fighting anymore.

Anderson Silva spent nearly a decade being the best in the world and not getting better.

How did Weidman fall for it?? Weidman knows he has heavy hands and waited for anderson to begin his antics and caught him.
Silva set his "trap", Weidman bit by engaging. Silva let weidman get in range and paid for it

maybe silva could clown really well earlier in his career when he had steroids. ever since he got busted he has not been able to clown at the abilities he could earlier.

IIRC, he's "clowned" (which are all part of his mind games) at least somewhat in the UFC against Rich, Maia, Leites, Bonnar, Weidman 1 & Bisping

pretty much.. He tries to bait them into his reach so that he can feel comfortable and fight his fight. If you look at the weidman and bisping fight , when they didn't fall for it= he was beat.
False. They did fall for it. Silva taunts to entice ppl to engage which worked on both Weidman and Bisbing. Silva was beat in both fights because he didn't look to counter them and make them pay for it. Its crazy ppl don't know the difference between hands down to entice engagement so he can counter and clowning for the fuck of it with no intention to counter.

Hands down with intent to counter
246AA83D51ECE7CB15BAC0

Hands down with no intent to counter
iGuiraxTFM2ST.gif

Weidman is so open and overextends so bad in the sequence its crazy yet Silva doesn't look to make him pay for it. Silva simply misread the last punch thinking it was a str8 so he slipped but it was a hook and he slipped right into it. Anyone could've knocked out Silva in this moment.

Last edited:

Maybe not with Bisping, but Weidman fell for it. Silva just planted his feet parallel which limited his trunk movement. If he staggers his stance, he is able to slip Weidman's punches and get that high risk high reward tactic to pay off. But there is no doubt that Weiman overextends and leaves his chin hanging out there after the first right thrown below -

iGuiraxTFM2ST.gif

silva does it because he can and it works. sure, he probably couldve beaten the crap out of all his past victims without clowning around. however, he did, and we were entertained.
i personally do not like it but i dont mind it too much if done in style like silva does.
it just doesnt work all the time. lol

he messed around with timid opponent to get them to come in on him as champion, he did it with bisping because he was unconcerned with a win and was just having fun. He had bisping rocked and hurt and instead of following up like he would when he was champion, he was aiming for highlight reel KO's. He's operating on another plane of thought than every other fighter.
Steroids will do that to you

I admit that I'm not that well versed in many of Silva's fights, especially early ones. Has he always clowned around in fights, or was he more "all business" at one time? At what point in his career did his goofing around start?

He's mainly a Counter-Fighter. He's not really clowning around....he's baiting his opponent to go first so there will be a significant opening for him go right after (as he slips the attack). A true counter is when you interrupt an offensive attack with your own offense.

That saying about "always being first"....is not the case with Counter-Fighters. They want you to go first. That's why it can get very boring when 2 CF's fight. Neither wants to commit with full combos.....just dance around, jabs and potshots. Other big CF's are like Mayweather Jr. and Tonney.

Back