Has Silva always clowned around?

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I admit that I'm not that well versed in many of Silva's fights, especially early ones. Has he always clowned around in fights, or was he more "all business" at one time? At what point in his career did his goofing around start?

He was crisp in his fights with Franklin and his debut against Leben.

I think he started clowining around the Maia fight, but because he was at the top of the game people game him a pass.

His clowining got worse in the Bonner fight and bite him in the ass in the first CW fight.

His "clowning" is a tactic used to bait his opponents into his game which is the counter.. Weidman nor Bisping fell for it. If you look at those 3 fights, bisping and weidman dropped silva using the same techniques

He's always done that when opponents refuse to run face first into his punches. It started with the Cote fight where he spent most of his time waving his hands around in a bad Bruce Lee impression and it's only gotten more flagrant from there. He did it again in the Leites, Maia, Weidman, Bonnar, and Bisping fights, it's just something he does to fuck with his opponents and create openings.

I think he does it more when he feels his opponent is not much of a threat. Didn't really work out for him against Weidman and Bisping though. Underestimated them and paid the cost

I think he does it more when he feels his opponent is not much of a threat. Didn't really work out for him against Weidman and Bisping though. Underestimated them and paid the cost
Opposite. He will use that tactic more to bait his opponent right into his range

he messed around with timid opponent to get them to come in on him as champion, he did it with bisping because he was unconcerned with a win and was just having fun. He had bisping rocked and hurt and instead of following up like he would when he was champion, he was aiming for highlight reel KO's. He's operating on another plane of thought than every other fighter.

I don't recall him ever doing it until the Maia fight

Anderson is a weird guy. I don't know why he does the things he does but the people ITT saying "that's just his style" or claiming he does it for some sort of advantage... you guys are totally wrong.

He was demolishing everyone before he started doing it. It's not about getting an advantage; it's just one of many silly, crazy, goofy things he does while fighting.

So youre saying that if he feels like his opponent poses a threat, he starts clowning?

He taunted to get guys to lead aggressively. He didn't need to taunt with a guy like Dan Henderson or Chris Leben or Rich Franklin or Okami because they already opened up.

He started taunting with Vitor when Vitor started out timid and Vitor started to open up, to give an example of him taunting successfully bringing a guy in.

I don't recall him ever doing it until the Maia fight

Anderson is a weird guy. I don't know why he does the things he does but the people ITT saying "that's just his style" or claiming he does it for some sort of advantage... you guys are totally wrong.

He was demolishing everyone before he started doing it. It's not about getting an advantage; it's just one of many silly, crazy, goofy things he does while fighting.

It was there in the Leites fight, just not as aggressive as the Maia fight, but Maia was terrified to come in, so Anderson turned it up to 11. Leites at least sort of tried for a little bit.

xpnic3_jpg.gif

He taunted to get guys to lead aggressively. He didn't need to taunt with a guy like Dan Henderson or Chris Leben or Rich Franklin or Okami because they already opened up.

He started taunting with Vitor when Vitor started out timid and Vitor started to open up, to give an example of him taunting successfully bringing a guy in.
Oh I agree but I think he does it only because he thinks he can get away with it. If that makes sense

Yes, it's as much a part of his fighting style as his southpaw stance.

Like he does now? No and its annoying to hear ppl claim that's how he always fights. Silva didn't do that his whole career. He evolved into that after he won the belt from Franklin. He fooled around for one brief moment in the 2nd Franklin fight but that's it. He was always a killer looking to finish. It wasn't until the Cote fight did he relax a little and start taunting to excite the crowd. He didnt fight comfortably with his hands down until the Griffin fight but even then he was still serious and did it to set up counters.

Silva then went full retard for the 1st time against Maia because he was bothered by what Maia said. Went back serious for a few fights then back to full retard again with Bonnar and thats when he lost his way and the serious Silva was gone. Went too far with Weidman and paid for it. He went back serious in the Weidman rematch and with Diaz but for some odd reason went back to full retard with Bisbing. I don't know why he didn't come serious like with Diaz. I'm sure he could've boxed Bisbing up easily.

Regardless, Silva evolved into the clowning style we see now he didn't always fight like that. He should just retire since he doesn't want to take it serious anymore. Killer instinct is gone. I don't want to see him fight if he's gonna act stupid instead of countering when the openings are there and getting it over with like the old Silva. He's lost his way and is getting too old for clowning and will get KOd again if he keeps it up.

Last edited:
So youre saying that if he feels like his opponent poses a threat, he starts clowning?
pretty much.. He tries to bait them into his reach so that he can feel comfortable and fight his fight. If you look at the weidman and bisping fight , when they didn't fall for it= he was beat.

Mind f-cking is his game. He's always been like this. Go back and watch his first mma fight. He kissed his opponent on the lips. There's always some weird sh-t mind f-cking going on with Silva. I prefer Conor or 209 mind f-cking, but whatever.

Back