Social Has integration in Canada worked? Or is everyone just pretending?

I live in a big beautiful house in a beautiful small town.

That's nice, I'm thrilled for you and your stories.

Unfortunately though, you high-tailed it out of where you were because of immigrants. And now you're pretending to be a shining of example of seamless integration.

<RawexDidThis1>

There's no better place for laughs than the War Room.

That's nice, I'm thrilled for you and your stories.

Unfortunately though, you high-tailed it out of where you were because of immigrants. And now you're pretending to be a shining of example of seamless integration.

<RawexDidThis1>

There's no better place for laughs than the War Room.

So weird how you sad people (incorrectly) remember things about other posters here. I know nothing about you.

How much time do you spend sitting around thinking about me?

So weird how you sad people (incorrectly) remember things about other posters here. I know nothing about you.

How much time do you spend sitting around thinking about me?

My guy, you responded to me and you volunteer your hilarious information. Trust me, no one cares about you. You just think that people should.

Now, how about instead of getting angry at everyone else like a typical high-schooler, you take a look in the mirror.

<seedat>

My guy, you responded to me and you volunteer your hilarious information. Trust me, no one cares about you. You just think that people should.

Now, how about instead of getting angry at everyone else like a typical high-schooler, you take a look in the mirror.

<seedat>

Nah. You got caught being a weirdo. Don't try to wriggle out of it.

I think integration has really only worked in one place - America. The American idea was unique being the land of opportunity and freedom and a united message. People still brought their culture but everyone had to work together, share and integrate to make it work.

Now, people just move and keep living like they lived in their previous country. Most don't learn the language and just live in little bubbles with people live them. Instead of integrating, we are carving out all of these parallel societies.

Unfortunately, I think it's just human nature to want to be around people that look and have the same beliefs as you but I wish we could move past that and have actually integration based on a common belief.

Nah. You got caught being a weirdo. Don't try to wriggle out of it.

It's ok bud, I know it's hard for you that you got caught lying about "seamlessly integrating into society" while living in a bunker because you ran away from immigrants.

<36>

Keep sharing your life stories while not expecting us to make fun of your dumb ass when you're caught lying. Lol.

I don’t know about how Canada works but I do know that they have crazy immigration rates, it would be unreasonable to expect people from totally different cultures & languages to not be like that.

You’d really have to wait and see how the 2nd generation mixes and matches
I'm more concerned housing prices and rent have doubled in the last 3 years and healthcare is collapsing due to infrastructure strain.

Successful integration looks like people adopting the language and customs of the country they moved to.

Kind of amazing that had to be explained to you.
So nothing's awry in this guy's story. Nothing he said suggests that the people don't know the language or the customs of the country they moved to or that they don't use them when appropriate.

Although I suspect you're confusing integration with assimilation. And that you're looking for a model where people abandon their prior culture and language and exclusively adopt the language and culture of others. "Exclusively" being the operative term.

Yep, I saw this in Cegep (college for Americans) except more extreme. They had unofficial sections/ cafeteria for each group. It’s like people are stuck in that mentality. I just dont get it…I guess that’s because I was a minority forced to hang out with people not like me growing up because none like me were around. I judge people solely on personality/etc…not because we speak a similar language. That’s what real Canadian is suppose to be… with all this integration, and it ain’t even close. It’s a joke.
In that situation, I believe it has more to do with having far too many foreign students who have little incentive to intermix.

I'm all for immigration but I'm against the heavy reliance of Canadian universities on foreign students for income because of the exorbitant fees they can charge.

I'm more concerned housing prices and rent have doubled in the last 3 years and healthcare is collapsing due to infrastructure strain.
The healthcare situation seems to have come about due to provinces budgeting for minimums in terms of staffing without any care for increases in demand both short and long term. It takes time to train doctors and nurses. If you wait until things are already dire before acting a lot of people suffer unnecessarily. I blame provincial governments for trying to do healthcare on the cheap and offload as much as possible onto the private sector.

I think integration has really only worked in one place - America. The American idea was unique being the land of opportunity and freedom and a united message. People still brought their culture but everyone had to work together, share and integrate to make it work.

Now, people just move and keep living like they lived in their previous country. Most don't learn the language and just live in little bubbles with people live them. Instead of integrating, we are carving out all of these parallel societies.

Unfortunately, I think it's just human nature to want to be around people that look and have the same beliefs as you but I wish we could move past that and have actually integration based on a common belief.
I think that's an overly negative read on the subject, at least as it relates to the US. All of these "parallel societies" are integrated with each other pretty well. Music, food, clothing, etc. I think it's really hard to argue that people are living in parallel societies when there's that much overlap. I also think the extent of individual groups is overblown.

When people complain about integration, or the lack thereof, I suspect that they're mostly thinking about integration in one direction. "Why aren't those people more like my people," and ignoring all of the evidence that "my people" have become more like "those people" at the same time.

But I do agree that just because some people choose sit together in the hypothetical lunchroom doesn't mean that integration isn't working.

The healthcare situation seems to have come about due to provinces budgeting for minimums in terms of staffing without any care for increases in demand both short and long term. It takes time to train doctors and nurses. If you wait until things are already dire before acting a lot of people suffer unnecessarily. I blame provincial governments for trying to do healthcare on the cheap and offload as much as possible onto the private sector.
I'd say it also has to do with our bloated administration (we have 10x more administration staff than Germany) as well as population boom due to taking too many in without the ability to support.

Likewise that population boom with lack of comparable housing starts has caused rent and house prices to skyrocket due to supply/demand.

As much as they are trying to push the idea "we need more trades people" as a reason for not building, it's more a problem that contractors don't want to pay the existing expensive union tradespeople because they want to build for as cheap as possible and union labor isn't cheap. Apprentice labor and un-unionized new graduates will work for far less.

I have enough friends in trades in union positions to hear the grumbling of how they only account for 5% of residential builds because of this.

I'd say it also has to do with our bloated administration (we have 10x more administration staff than Germany) as well as population boom due to taking too many in without the ability to support.

Likewise that population boom with lack of comparable housing starts has caused rent and house prices to skyrocket due to supply/demand.

As much as they are trying to push the idea "we need more trades people" as a reason for not building, it's more a problem that contractors don't want to pay the existing expensive union tradespeople because they want to build for as cheap as possible and union labor isn't cheap. Apprentice labor and un-unionized new graduates will work for far less.

I have enough friends in trades in union positions to hear the grumbling of how they only account for 5% of residential builds because of this.
On the housing piece and the tradespeople wage component, what would suggest they do?

It's a genuine question. If the tradespeople want higher wages then houses they build are going to cost more. If the houses cost more, won't people complain that the houses are even more expensive? If they try to build the houses more cheaply then the tradespeople don't get paid what they're worth.

Is there a solution?

I work for a municipality and sat in on a meeting today to decide what project we should apply to for a new housing accelerator fund. It donned on my that this is where all of the funding is going to go for the next long while instead of to important existing infrastructure projects where water pipes, sewer pipes and roads are well beyond their useful lives. So basically lets build a bunch of new subdivisions to house the tons of immigrants instead of maintaining 75 year-old roads and subdivisions. This is going to get uglier as the years go by. The same will apply to most gov infrastructure, healthcare included.

Slightly off topic I know.

On the housing piece and the tradespeople wage component, what would suggest they do?

It's a genuine question. If the tradespeople want higher wages then houses they build are going to cost more. If the houses cost more, won't people complain that the houses are even more expensive? If they try to build the houses more cheaply then the tradespeople don't get paid what they're worth.

Is there a solution?
I don't have a good answer for you. The wages haven't increased that much in a decade and the materials haven't gone up as much as the prices by even close. The problem is, too many people, too few houses, not the price of building them.

The problem is we are creating a cyclical situation.

The government currently advertises Canada as a place to move if you are a tradesperson, Doctor, nurse, etc, bringing more people to an already strained infrastructure. Once those people get here, we tell them their countries standards are not up to Canadian standards and they need to spend years re-educating themselves to Canadian standards if they want to work in their field.

In the meantime, they can work at our Walmart, fast food joints, and pack 10 into a 2 bedroom for 4 to 7 years like they did back home. Keeping the corporations happy and suppressing wages.

This was a buyers market 5 years ago. It's a nightmare market now. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect we would go from 8% vacancy in apartments to 0.1% vacancy in 5 years. Or that my $240000 house would be worth $600000 a few years after I bought it.

But the strain on healthcare is even worse. These new Canadians are OK packing into apartments like sardines. But the sheer volume of them has stretched our already shitty healthcare to breaking.

We need them to build houses we don't have as cheap labor with subpar standards compared to unions so their addition to our population can then strain the low housing supply AND our healthcare?

We need another option at this point. None of the Canadian parties are offering solutions. But we do need to stop bringing in record numbers of people to work at fast foods and wash our dishes as that is exactly what has strained our Infrastructure to the degree it has

Although I suspect you're confusing integration with assimilation. And that you're looking for a model where people abandon their prior culture and language and exclusively adopt the language and culture of others. "Exclusively" being the operative term.

Nope.

I don't have a good answer for you. The wages haven't increased that much in a decade and the materials haven't gone up as much as the prices by even close. The problem is, too many people, too few houses, not the price of building them.

The problem is we are creating a cyclical situation.

The government currently advertises Canada as a place to move if you are a tradesperson, Doctor, nurse, etc, bringing more people to an already strained infrastructure. Once those people get here, we tell them their countries standards are not up to Canadian standards and they need to spend years re-educating themselves to Canadian standards if they want to work in their field.

In the meantime, they can work at our Walmart, fast food joints, and pack 10 into a 2 bedroom for 4 to 7 years like they did back home. Keeping the corporations happy and suppressing wages.

This was a buyers market 5 years ago. It's a nightmare market now. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect we would go from 8% vacancy in apartments to 0.1% vacancy in 5 years. Or that my $240000 house would be worth $600000 a few years after I bought it.

But the strain on healthcare is even worse. These new Canadians are OK packing into apartments like sardines. But the sheer volume of them has stretched our already shitty healthcare to breaking.

We need them to build houses we don't have as cheap labor with subpar standards compared to unions so their addition to our population can then strain the low housing supply AND our healthcare?

We need another option at this point. None of the Canadian parties are offering solutions. But we do need to stop bringing in record numbers of people to work at fast foods and wash our dishes as that is exactly what has strained our Infrastructure to the degree it has
Interesting take. I don't think I agree with all of it but I asked for your opinion, so thanks.

Back