Social Has integration in Canada worked? Or is everyone just pretending?

I don’t know about how Canada works but I do know that they have crazy immigration rates, it would be unreasonable to expect people from totally different cultures & languages to not be like that.

You’d really have to wait and see how the 2nd generation mixes and matches
Most Chinese second generation and third generation hang out with other Chinese. Same with Indians, Koreans, etc. I know third generation Chinese that literally meet other Chinese people only on the basis that they are Chinese. It's really like if there's enough of a group around, they self-segregate.

And I'm a white-ish guy that grew up in Toronto and hung out with mostly Asian kids as that was the majority in my schools. I have memories of walking around Pacific Mall and literally being the only white person in the entire mall.

Their children will be westernized. They can't really speak their parent's mother tongue well. We all see these type of interactions. The parents are speaking to their children in Urdu, Hindu, Chinese or Spanish and their children would respond in English.

Last edited:
Integration has never worked in the recorded humankind history.

It may work only on individual level, and that means a partial loss of cultural identity for the integrated. Sometimes it's a good loss, for example, when a savage becomes civilized. And pretty much stops being a savage.

My take is mostly my Provincial situation. But it's spread all over. In my province, seeing house prices and rent go up over 100% in 2 years is pretty concerning.

Hell, since I posted that yesterday, CBC did a news article echoing the same sentiments just today lol

I don't particularly see the immigration piece the way you do. Canada needs immigration in the long term. That immigration is going to cause problems in the short term. That's the unfortunate reality of the situation.

You can ignore the lack of population growth in the short term but it will cause significant problems in the long term. The housing issue can be fixed by new builds.

Which is why I limited my initial question to housing and tradespeople wages. You have to build your way out of the problem because, to be crass, it's too late to fuck your way out.

I don't particularly see the immigration piece the way you do. Canada needs immigration in the long term. That immigration is going to cause problems in the short term. That's the unfortunate reality of the situation.

You can ignore the lack of population growth in the short term but it will cause significant problems in the long term. The housing issue can be fixed by new builds.

Which is why I limited my initial question to housing and tradespeople wages. You have to build your way out of the problem because, to be crass, it's too late to fuck your way out.
Personally, I think Harper trying to raise retirement age was a smart idea. Man did it turn the boomers against him, but it was foresight.

Our system was designed for when life expectancy was 72 years old, not going into 80s and 90s.

This is a ponzi that's going to come due eventually. Kicking the can down the road just means the hill becomes a mountain when we finally go over the edge

Personally, I think Harper trying to raise retirement age was a smart idea. Man did it turn the boomers against him, but it was foresight.

Our system was designed for when life expectancy was 72 years old, not going into 80s and 90s.

This is a ponzi that's going to come due eventually. Kicking the can down the road just means the hill becomes a mountain when we finally go over the edge
A correction to the system is definitely needed - there's no such thing as perpetual growth.

But you guys are in the middle of the transition. You can't just switch to a new system overnight. And while you try to switch to a new system, you've got a ton of legacy issues tied to your old system. That's why immigration is your only real way out.

You need population growth to keep the system going until you can change it. But you don't have the natural growth to ride it out. That's why every country dealing with this issue is so supportive of immigration.

Some countries, like Japan and S. Korea, are trying to incentivize natural births but they know it's not enough. That's why even though everyone talks about how strict Japan is about immigration but they've been increasing their foreign worker population every year for almost a decade. S. Korea hasn't been as aggressive but they've also tried to entice more foreign workers.

So it's either managed immigration or fiscal cliff. To my reading, that means finding ways to manage the economic impact of immigration until you can overhaul your economic system into something that reflects the reality of modern birth rates. In the context of this conversation, that means how do you build enough affordable homes to manage the population growth but still pay enough to keep your tradespeople happy.

If there is anyplace in the world where multiculturalism has blossomed, is Canada. There are plenty others. It just works.

At my place of work, I can’t help but notice similar ethnicities hanging out together at lunch. They speak whatever their native language is together. This applies to over half a dozen groups. It’s almost to the point an outside observer would think mandatory segregation is in place.

So…my question is do you think the mixing of ethnicities has really work? Are people actually as open to hanging out and getting to know people different from themselves than they were 30 years ago?

I don’t think they are. I think integration has failed. This isn’t to say people refuse to try, or won’t try because they’re racist. It’s just a question of comfort and almost lack of imagination.
Total failure. It's a shithole of various communities that dgaf about the country.

That's a pretty dishonest thing to say, particularly when you start the sentence with let's be honest.

I think the question itself is stupid as fuck and you can gather from there what I think your comment says about you.
You are a one way guy. If it's liberal, you are on board no matter the consequence. Prove me wrong....rape has gone up in every country that has had mass immigration.......Can you admit the immigrants could be the problem?

Total failure. It's a shithole of various communities that dgaf about the country.
I would imagine it takes a generation to integrate from native tongue to local. But too many and it does seem nonsensical as you have so many that do not integrate upon arrival. You can also have too many of a group and they are self sustaining so no need to learn the language or culture.

Back