Has anyone else become disillusioned with MMA lately?

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?
Jones beat Reyes. I know it seems like Reyes won the first 3 rounds but he was missing a lot of those punches he threw. Just high volume with no damage. He landed some good shots but Jones had him backing up in the later rounds. Say what you will but Jon is king. He’s looking more vulnerable and I predict a steady decline once jones and khabib ultimately lose. I’m definitely less interested in UFC lately. But enough with this jones Reyes nonsense I’ll hear no more

They keep making garbage cards with 1 good fight on the top to sell the whole thing. It's stupid. They need to make a minor league, have weekly cards with no big names and let the no-names on good streaks headline and build starts that way while once a month or so you have a legit STACKED PPV with top match ups and known names.

Oh and title shots that make sense with contenders on good winning streaks.

It’s ruined since Hollyweird got their woke hands on it. Back off, and don’t pay a cent until they’ve fucked off

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?
I agree that the judging problems (and reffing too) are getting worse. That is coupled with ever bigger hype and PPV costs etc. UFC is far too flash and is getting more like WWE. One FC is better to watch imo.

I also think the rules have gotten too restrictive which favours technical fighters and makes the contests more predictable and less exciting. A lot of my favourite old school fighters were basically hard men who got into training - if they weren't in UFC would be bouncers/bodyguards/cops/street fighters etc. Nowadays unless you are a professional athlete with years of technical training/coaching/nutritionist etc you won't get a look in.

Ive become more and more disappointed with the quality of the cards, the lack of competent judging, the bare bones promotion of fighters.

Ufc has just become a cheap, watered down product.

Ive been watching since UFC 1, and ive only missed a handful of cards ever.

Lately, since the big card beginning of december, i havent watched any, even the ones on the app.

Also, the fact that champs or name fighters like Stipe, DC, khabib, volk, cejudo, Conor, Ferguson, Diaz etc etc

Only fight like once every 9 months, or less frequently in some cases, is a major buzz kill.

Justin gaethje fought 5 months ago and he still doesn't even have a new fight booked. The JBG is crying.
Bravo. Not making their champs defend is the biggest flaw of the UFC.

The cards are so watered down now. Not sure why they think the quantity over quality approach is the best move.

The BMF belt was the jumping the shark moment for me.

Dana White watching Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz while two UFC heavyweights fight in a main event

“Get ready for October [2019]. We’re gonna change the sport of boxing entirely...”

... 6 months pass...

“... by broadcasting prospects in squash matches from a Rhode Island rec center.”

I still fucking love it and watch every fight on every card, but then I also watch shit like Invicta, Cage Warriors and LFA so I'm probably a bad example.
Me too. Still, it’s a little frustrating to subscribe to Fight Pass and always see that the next event is 2 weeks away and is “Road to the Lumpinee Try-Outs,” “Boxing from the Rec Center,” “Alaska Fight Championship,” etc.

Way too many events in a year. They should just narrow down to 2 events per month instead of 3 or 4. You'll get more stacked cards that way.

I don't mind waiting a little longer to see fights. I don't like the idea of an event almost every weekend.

I barely watch the fights.Its basicly just background noise for an excuse to drink beer and eat wings. I usually skip the prelims completely, stream the main event, and come here aftwards to stir shit up with obsessed fans of X fighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back