Has anyone else become disillusioned with MMA lately?

Agree with the sentiments of this thread for sure , March 7th card seems pretty good though no?

Yeah, I agree on most of those points. I’m a little disillusioned, but I think these things will work themselves out over time. New talent will come around and the sport will continue to evolve and hopefully improve. I know it’s kind of a cliche now, but it’s true that MMA is still in its infancy stage.

Sadly Yes

There are less and less fighters who take chances, most of them just coast to decision. We miss exciting fighters who will even lose but put on a show.

Also match making sucks, there is plenty of chance for good fights but somehow they are never booked.

And too many new guys that are all so generic and look like each other/fight the same way that I sometimes can't tell if I ever watched them before or not. And many of these guys are just too green for UFC, you can see skills are not there.

Solution could be shorter roster and smaller cards. We don't need 12 fights on the card. Give us 8 strong fights and that will be enough. Four fights for prelims and four on the main card. I think that would greatly help UFC.

It’s been rough. But it’s still a tremendously young sport going through massive changes on a year to year basis. From spike to fox to ESPN, Reebok, stars like Conor and ronda crossing over, so much is happening that it’s kind of impossible to see a steady trajectory.

I like to think that we’re just in a state of flux with constant growing pains. Peaks and valleys as opposed to a steady descent. The highs are still really high. Even though these obscenely top heavy cards are annoying, you still can’t really beat that feeling when a Conor or Jon Jones is walking to the cage and you know you’re going to see something special.

Plus we still get the occasional big card. Stipe v DC 2 was a hell of a card, imo. So we’re still getting peaks, it’s just that we’re uncomfortable with a lot of things because a lot of newness is being introduced on a consistent basis.

Fingers crossed, anyway

I'll always watch it, and it usually is the highlight of my Saturdays as I have met some pretty cool people on here, and i enjoy trolling there is just a few things I just disagree with the directions they have gone with a few things:
  • WMMA is a joke. There are a handful of really good fighters I enjoy watching. The rest just have below par skillsets IMHO
  • Twitter drama > talent. Colby has no business fighting for the title yet he makes it to the top because of this fake persona that people buy into
  • This is just observation, but there seems to be way more 155 and under fighters than heavier fighters. LHW/HW seems so under developed and there needs to be much more talent pool added onto it.

I still fucking love it and watch every fight on every card, but then I also watch shit like Invicta, Cage Warriors and LFA so I'm probably a bad example.

I’ve been harping on this for awhile...

But it sucks having a champion who you don’t think would be there if he didn’t blatantly eyepoke.

You honestly, truly believe that? Which fighter or fighters do you actually believe would have beaten Jones if they hadn't gotten poked in the eye?

It's exactly how I feel, but i'm so incredibly frustrated and exhausted by it all that I can't even tell you in a simple enough way why i'm to the point that i'm about done watching.

For the first time in my life, I had little to no interest watching the fights and though it'd be better to just look at the results later.

Instead of watching, I should just go do something better, because I knew deep down that there was going to be bullshit that wasn't worth my time.

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?

Preach brother

I'm about 2 years past disillusioned and approaching disinterested.

I dislike you and find your posts pretty useless for the most part.

BUT you are spot on here TS.

I live in Houston and went to the monster truck show instead of the bum card with Juan adams on a pay per view

You honestly, truly believe that? Which fighter or fighters do you actually believe would have beaten Jones if they hadn't gotten poked in the eye?

Just Reyes is enough to answer your question. DC might have had a substantially better chance. Gustafson.

The good old days are over. My interest has gone down at least 70% and haven't watched a prelim in over a year now. I used to like the prelims to see the new fighters but now it seems they are just filling in spots for the networks. It almost seems like the UFC will put anyone that will take $6000 to fight as many "new" fighters are already 30 years old....it's a joke.
I agree that the lack of new blood is probably the biggest problem the ufc has, and unless they want to start paying more, it won't get any better.
There is also way too much favoritism and no real clear path to title shots

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?
Objectively the skill level of the sport has advanced to the point that going on s tear I infinitely harder. Also fun sloppy brawls dint occur as much in favor of technical striking squash matches

Yup. Lots of bullshit making me less of a fan.

The fake feuds are stupid

The reebok deal makes everyone look boring

The scoring system is broken and they still haven't fixed it. The boxing method doesn't work for mma.

And the final straw was the ESPN deal. It is absolute bullshit for fans. I already paid the money for the ppv's but now they force me to subscribe to a channel that I hate on top of the ppv cost? Fuck that. I tried to do the right thing and pay them but fuck that. It's like they want me to pirate it.

And to be honest, pirating is kind of a hassle too so really I just end up not watching and I'm losing interested in the sport altogether. I didn't even know who Reyes was because it's been so long since I've watched a UFC event. Then my friends got this fight and it did nothing to bring me back into the sport.

It's not rocket science. If you make a bad product and then make it difficult for your fans to watch it, you lose fans.

Back