1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Has anyone else become disillusioned with MMA lately?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BRASIL WAND, Feb 9, 2020.

1. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

First of all let me start by saying that this thread is not solely about Jones vs Reyes as much as it is a grievance with the UFC org in general. And while I rooted for Jon I think Reyes won but it’s not a robbery by any means. You gotta go out there and compete every round and he gave the last two to Jones making the fight much closer than it should have.

As a fan of the sport I’m disappointed with the ineptitude of fight scoring by non MMA people and it’s a shame because it’s the fighters who pay for their ignorance. On the flip side I’m somewhat glad Jones won because we don’t know how much longer we’ll have him in the sport, he’s a true martial artist and in my opinion represents the true aspects of skill MMA.

That being said I feel like the UFC is having trouble developing new stars, outside of Adesanya (who might not pan out) they have nobody of the new breed who they can market. They’re also struggling to keep their cash cows afloat by any means (Jon and Conor). If you look at the last two PPVs It’s cause massively disproportionate cards and they’re filling the roster with amateur level bouts as fillers.

So overall the product seems watered down, the scoring is inept, the match making is absurd, and the fans are paying for it. It seems like MMA is going the boxing route by neglecting the fans due to politics, doing nothing about corrupt scoring, and making PPV cards solely about the main event with amateur bums filling the rest of the card.

/End rant

Any of you bro’s losing interest in MMA? If so what?

2. ConorFacts Banned Banned

GGG vs Canelo wasnt as close as Jones vs Reyes

bro

3. Uber_Noober Silver Belt

I caught what I could of the prelims after stupid basketball ate up the first hour of that. That’s where my interest in the UFC is these days. If I see a ppv it’s because I got invited over to watch it.

4. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

GGG vs Canelo 1 was corruption at its finest.

HOWEVER the 49-46 scoring in favor of Jones and the fact that not one person scored the fight for Reyes is flat out atrocious. It’s like they came in with the preconceived mindset that Jones wins should the fight go to decision. Just as big of a discrepancy in scoring imo. I think educated fans could stomach a split decision for Jones l, but an overall Unanimous decision including a 49-46 scorecard either reeks of corruption or ignorance.

Not just that, the card was filled with inept scoring: Ewell vs Martinez, Latifi vs Lewis, Krause vs Giles, and Ige vs Bektic.

Scoring was all over the place

5. ConorFacts Banned Banned

no.

6. FireKidWS Banned Banned

I’ve been harping on this for awhile...

But it sucks having a champion who you don’t think would be there if he didn’t blatantly eyepoke.

7. nomenclature Banned Banned

It's morphing into WWE.

Fixed rankings, reffing, judging, matchmaking, drug testing, pushing whatever narrative they want.

Becoming a fighter in this day and age has more in common with becoming a pop star.

It's the new American Idol, with fighting on the side.

8. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

Okay, I should’ve seen the dubs, join date, and substance of your posts before I bothered to reply... Clear casual which is what the UFC seems to be catering to these days.

Go troll somewhere else bud

<{cruzshake}>

9. ConorFacts Banned Banned

GGG vs Canelo was close, but not Jones vs Ryes & I love Jon Jones.

10. beephin Red Belt

Some of these PPVS are absolutely garbage. Do people really pay $70 for one, MAYBE two good fights?

Also, MMA judging and scoring need a total overhaul. The system in place is clearly not working. Horrible scorecards don't even shock me anymore. I have very low expectations for MMA judging.

11. Russie Black Belt

I'm not losing interest. I've been following this since it's beginning and have seen the ups and downs. If anything I'm more pissed off with these PPV cards with one fight of interest. We all have said that there are too many. Some of these cards could be combined to make something special. I get they want cards for the ESPN deal and they want to move around with events monthly.
    As for stars the UFC waits to see who emerges that they can walk with as their star rises. They didn't make Conor, Izzy or anyone else until those guys began to distinguish themselves and they then realized we got somebody we can market. Few if any of the new crop is emerging like they would hope.

12. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

UFC peaked 8 years ago and these corporate Hollywood cucks running the show now couldn't give two San Francisco sidewalk-shits about fighting or building talent or championship belt prestige or any of that.

13. KONG-D'SNT-TAP Banned Banned

Mma sucks now.

The fighters are all corny and lame and 99% of them have awful personalities.

Give me 2007-2012 any day of the week

14. kmeyers Ice Cold Belt

PRIDE forevah.

15. VB MMA Brown Belt

I was a diehard fan from to UFC 1 til it went to ESPN. Even went to watch 4 UFCs live, as well as joining a Fight Team from 2000 til 2011. Before 2015 I had seen every single PPV and Fight Night. After that, I felt like the UFC was watering down Fight Cards and especially marketing Fighters as GREATS, that were obviously not elite Fighters. Some Fights were even questionable works. This, along with not making free Fights easily accessable has killed my interest. I know I am not the only one feeling this way, because in the past you had to wait in long lines at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the PPVs unless you got there 4 hours early. Now, they are not even filled up at 10:00pm. They need to go back to running things how they did in its HeyDay….mid to late 2000s.

16. MEAN357 Pernell Whitaker belt

<DontBelieve1>

17. BRASIL WAND Banned Banned

Tbh this is probably why I’m not upset with Jones getting the nod(even though I think he lost Rounds 1-3)... to me he represents the true golden era of MMA from a skill perspective.

He’s a pedigreed grappler who perfected his craft before transitioning to MMA and fell in love with every other aspect: BJJ, Striking, etc.

These “newbreed” fighters brought in by the UFC are all strikers with fan friendly styles who’s “grapplin” solely consist of a few takedown defense training camps and some seminars. They solely bank on not being taken down but once they hit the mat they have no substance on the ground.... guys like Reyes, Gus, Adesanya, etc are all textbook examples.

18. The Witcher відродитися

Really? Coming from you?
    <{cruzshake}>

19. ConorFacts Banned Banned

i love big and athletic man …

[​IMG]

20. ZOD66 Brown Belt

When you marketing alcohol like UFC fighters do nothing good will come in the end