Hardgainer help

FullContact.com

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Usually I'm pretty well informed on nutrition, but I'm a bit of a hard-gainer and I'm looking to gain about 20lbs. When I started MMA I lost 15lbs in about a month, and I was already in great shape but I leaned down a bit and prior to that, cardio and rolling wasn't a substantial part of my life. I started an 8mph run for 10 minutes before I lift to get the blood flowing and switched to whole milk over skim (I drink about 1 gallon/day and always have) and I got 10lbs of it back pretty quick, but my abs are not as tight as they used to be. I'd like to gain another 20 in lean muscle mass, but I've been told to do everything from supplements to killing cardio; supplements haven't really been too successful (even at their recommended servings per day), and getting rid of cardio isn't an option in this field. I get these junk e-mails about gaining lean weight without eating 4000+ calories a day and without supplements... but I'm not paying for information that may or may not work for me. So does anyone have any GOOD ideas?

You should post what your diet looks like and people can probably help you out. Theres good info in thr FAQ and I think some threads on something like this too. You can also check out Scrawny To Brawny from John Berardi. Its a good book IMO. Do you lift as well? Its all about eating correctly and training correctly.

Avoid nighttime catabolism. Cottage cheese before bed, don't over sleep.

Avoid nighttime catabolism. Cottage cheese before bed, don't over sleep.

Weird you'd say that. I tend to gain weight a lot faster when I sleep more. Something to do with less calories burnt, I guess.. Obviously not rediculous extra sleeping, but 6 hours of sleep vs 8 hours vs 10 hours. 6 hours I'll gain the least weight and 10 hours I'll gain the most. I've never gone crazy and slept 12 hours on a regular basis, though.

All weight gain problems can be overcome with enough calories and heavy stuff.

True man. I used to be a hard gainer myself. When I started learning about eating right...I started gaining weight along with proper training. I thought that I would never be able to gain weight until my later years but it just all depends on what, how much your eating and lifting heavy. Oh check this out...I was on this other forum looking around....Its a BB forum, but its funny. I dont post there I just lurk cuz my friend goes on it. Theres a guy on there complaining about how hard it is to gain weight but it drags on and on. If he came here...he wouldve either been set straight or kicked the hell out, lol!

http://www.supremesportsfitness.com/viewtopic.php?t=7236&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Weird you'd say that. I tend to gain weight a lot faster when I sleep more. Something to do with less calories burnt, I guess.. Obviously not rediculous extra sleeping, but 6 hours of sleep vs 8 hours vs 10 hours. 6 hours I'll gain the least weight and 10 hours I'll gain the most. I've never gone crazy and slept 12 hours on a regular basis, though.

Different protein ****bolisms do different things. 7.5-8 hours is optimal for me.

I'm a hard gainer as well. After a lot of research, I learned that it all boils down to eating more.

I got to my goal weight by eating a shit load of energy dense foods and extra meals before bed. I was lifting weight at the time also. While I did gain muscle, the only exercise that felt like it gave me "real" functional strength was squats. It feels great to have good legs supporting your body. I stopped lifting for upper body mass though and now I do weird shit like shoveling dirt for hours on end or trimming trees with my hands. It feels better to me. I wouldn't skip doing squats, even if it's without weights. You can strap a backpack on and put a couple gallons of water in it if necessary.

You'll probably feel lethargic from all the extra food though. Also, when I started running/cardio I found that I was hungrier than normal and would use that to my advantage. Eating more calories than I burned.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fighter, I just like being physically capable for hunting and outdoor activities. (Ever drag a 180lb deer for 2+ miles? Or hike steep mountains for 10 miles at 7000 ft with 80lbs on your back? It's fucking hard!)

Sorry for rambling on.

Different protein ****bolisms do different things. 7.5-8 hours is optimal for me.

Yeh, I don't eat a lot of vegetables so maybe it takes me longer to digest or something.

TRAIN EAT SLEEP.
Eat more than you use, simple as that, and you`ll gain. And sleep as much as you can.

4000...whats up with people? At poker last night, one regular is a small hardgainer. Doing deads, squats, OHP etc (not very much weight), and "eating like a horse" but only 4000 cal. I said, wow, do 6-8. Simple solution "I just can't get bigger XL..blahblahhala"

6-8k. And go heavier son.

AHHHHHHHH

You don't need 6-8K calories unless you're fat to begin with idiot. It all depends on how much you weigh currently. For example, I'm 140 so I need roughly 3200 per day without lifting to gain weight.

I guess that's part of the deal - I mean, I'm drinking a solid gallon of whole milk per day which is 2400 calories. Between all the PB sandwiches, morning waffles, lunch meat sandwiches, and whatever else I shove down my throat; I'm WELL over 3K and more likely closer to 4K+ and I'm sorry, 6-8K seems a little extreme for anyone, be it 150lbs or 250lbs. Eating high caloric diets typically also mean high fat... I don't need my belly to shake while I fight...

and I ordered the book too, just for the hell of it. It was only $10 on Amazon...

You don't need 6-8K calories unless you're fat to begin with idiot. It all depends on how much you weigh currently. For example, I'm 140 so I need roughly 3200 per day without lifting to gain weight.

Touche, douche, or maybe just Douche.

This subject man eats ~4,000 with little to no weight gain. Ergo, he needs to eat MORE calories given he is working out properly.

This is complex stuff huh./

Add in eating a jar of natural peanut butter per week.

Add in 7 more chicken breasts per week.

Eat more.

Boy, I guess if I wanted to gain weight, I could always add ANOTHER gallon of milk, and ANOTHER 6 PB sandwiches to my already stuffed diet... why didn't I think of that? How many (in shape) people actually eat 8K calories a day? Besides the bloated and tired feeling you would consistently have, how could an average person afford it?

how much protein are you taking in? what type of lifting are you doing? all of these questions need answers.

I think a great post for anybody wanting any dietary information concerning weight loss / gain should post:

training regimen
sleep regimen
diet

Back