Hapkido?

Evil Eye Gouger said:
I don't know how you can judge that unless you yourself have spent years practicing them.

My grab defense is quite basic, I'll admit. So I'm not claiming I'm good. I've met people, however, whom I would never grab anywhere. They ARE fast.

Again, it's not for the MMA ring, but some of this stuff works, especially if you train it for a long time and make it instinctive.

I haven't wasted years practicing them. But I've seen people who have, hesitate when I grab them. But regardless of that, who is going to continue to hold onto a wrist? Yeah okay, maybe a drunk guy harassing a woman like you mentioned before. Okay, maybe with years of training a woman could handle herself in that situation and break the guys arm. Its just so unlikely to happen though it seems silly to train for it. There's a million better things you could be doing defend yourself (ie: building a bomb shelter).

Even the drunk guy scenario is silly and makes no sense. A drunk guy is going to grab, and pull you in, not grab and hold on. If he grabs and pulls you in, there goes your years of training. Done arguing with tma nuthuggers.

DropBows said:
I haven't wasted years practicing them. But I've seen people who have, hesitate when I grab them. But regardless of that, who is going to continue to hold onto a wrist? Yeah okay, maybe a drunk guy harassing a woman like you mentioned before. Okay, maybe with years of training a woman could handle herself in that situation and break the guys arm. Its just so unlikely to happen though it seems silly to train for it. There's a million better things you could be doing defend yourself (ie: building a bomb shelter).
I don't know what you've been shown, but there are different defenses against wrist grabs.

You can get your wrist out of there, in which case it's great if he lets go.
You can go for a wrist lock, in which case the first thing you do is lock his hand in place so he cannot let go. From there, you usually just give some pain, so he reconsiders and lets go. Or, you can put him into another joint lock, which is a bit more difficult.

Personally, I like them letting me go. If I don't have to gouge their eyes or crash their skull in the process, it's a good thing.

Now, I agree that it is extremely dangerous to build your entire martial art knowledge on very complicated wrist locks which depend on a certain type of attacks. But knowing some practical grab escapes can be a good extension of EVERYBODY's training. You can't always smash somebody's balls in.

And speaking of Hapkido, standing wrist grabs are only a tiny part of it. There are also punches, kicks, all sorts of joint locks and ground game (Yudo).

Even the drunk guy scenario is silly and makes no sense. A drunk guy is going to grab, and pull you in, not grab and hold on. If he grabs and pulls you in, there goes your years of training. Done arguing with tma nuthuggers.
Why? What's he going to do? Jump guard and put you in a gogoplata?

DropBows said:
Hapkido few things you can actually use in comparison to what they teach. It's an innefficient use of time. The hand grab techniques are what I call "party tricks." They're cool to show at parties or whatever, but to actually use them in real life is laughable.

DropBows said:
Kent, you're a high school wrestler. If you want to do some standup and dont have a muay thai school near you. Take tae kwon do. You'll get really flexible, and you'll have some kicks you can use for a street fight. Unfortunately, a lot of TKD is going to be useless, but thats okay, cause you're having fun and ur getting some good kicks and flexibility that will be invaluable later on.

I dont think Hapkido is going to take you through the same regiment of kicks as well as a TKD school.

So you say Hapkido is inefficient and a waste of time then go on to say the same of TKD but thats ok because it's "fun". In reality, HKD actually has more efficient and varied kicks than TKD.

DropBows said:
I've seen people who have, hesitate when I grab them.

So because a certain person fails to act, the whole art is invalid? Beautiful logic. As with any training, it's only going to be as good as the person doing it. That said, as always any lone style has a hole somewhere, but to use that as proof of invalidity in every situation is silly.

DropBows said:
Even the drunk guy scenario is silly and makes no sense. A drunk guy is going to grab, and pull you in, not grab and hold on. If he grabs and pulls you in, there goes your years of training.
Ironic that there is a plethora of techs for that exact situation. Pretty sure you've never practiced HKD after that one. Which make me wonder why you even speak on it with such know-how in the first place.

Bottom line as with any other style, Hapkido works if you make it work for you. There are valuable tools there. It's up to you to trust your training and use them.

i was given a hapkido demonstration.. being into bjj i was like "ok" he started with "grab my wrist"... like as if in a street fight that's what i'm gonna do it didn't work well for him

i was given a hapkido demonstration.. being into bjj i was like "ok" he started with "grab my wrist"... like as if in a street fight that's what i'm gonna do it didn't work well for him

Actually a lot of scraps begin with a grab.

Like every evaluation of a fighting system or style, the punches and kicks and armbars, etc. are just tools. It is the workman (or workwoman) that determines its efficacy. I am so tired of TKD sucks or Hapkido sucks...I guarentee you there are TKD fighters that could whip your rearend. There are hapkido fighters that could take you to school. The key is how hard you work at your art to make it work that makes the difference.

I find it very anoying that so many of you are completly badmouthing hapkido when the odds are you have never evan tryed it. BJJ at a time was looked down upon just like you guys are doing to hapkido here and look where its at know. "kentpope" my advise would at least try it out. You never know whats instored for you when you try a new martial art.

One of my cop buddies is a 5th dan in Hapkido and he's a bad dude. His joint locks are par excellence.

I find it very anoying that so many of you are completly badmouthing hapkido when the odds are you have never evan tryed it. BJJ at a time was looked down upon just like you dies are doing to hapkido here and look where its at know. "kentpope" my advise would at least try it out. You never know whats instored for you when you try a new martial art.

yeah everyone make way for the big bad hapkido.

wanna fight?
- sure. start by grabbing my wrist. i will use the momentum of your actions to throw you down.

the only thing (instored?) for you will be a couple hundred dollars lost and a whole lot of unfounded confidence in something that will get you fucking killed when you could've just instead bought some good running shoes or some decent BJJ classes.

I started in aikido years aga and we did a lot of wrist grabs when we trained. They aren't the actual attack. It's a starting point for a new, or old, student to begin working. I thought it was stupid, too, until my cross wrist grab turned into a pretty good defense agains a straight right cross.

There are a lot of different martial arts out there. Some are easier to apply in the real world than others, but doesn't that doesn't mean the more difficult ones have no merit. How effective they are depends on who's doing the teaching, who's doing the learning, and how they apply it. If you don't like it, don't train in it.

I would say watch where your training. The big trap that you run into in my neck of the woods is that there are a lot of those cheesy little TKD schools that teach the flashy kick point fighting style that will get you trophies, but will get your ass kicked in real life. A lot of people are paying a bunch of money and think that they're getting something that will help protect them. They're getting ripped off.

But I've trained with several TKD guys that were pretty freakin' effective when it came time to fight.

yeah everyone make way for the big bad hapkido.

wanna fight?
- sure. start by grabbing my wrist. i will use the momentum of your actions to throw you down.

the only thing (instored?) for you will be a couple hundred dollars lost and a whole lot of unfounded confidence in something that will get you fucking killed when you could've just instead bought some good running shoes or some decent BJJ classes.

Very ignoret comment by a guy who bases all his knoledge on stereotypeing it looks like and one who thinks he knows everything.

I started in aikido years aga and we did a lot of wrist grabs when we trained. They aren't the actual attack. It's a starting point for a new, or old, student to begin working. I thought it was stupid, too, until my cross wrist grab turned into a pretty good defense agains a straight right cross.

There are a lot of different martial arts out there. Some are easier to apply in the real world than others, but doesn't that doesn't mean the more difficult ones have no merit. How effective they are depends on who's doing the teaching, who's doing the learning, and how they apply it. If you don't like it, don't train in it.

Best post I've seen on this thread so far.

i see that you have taken hapkido for an extended period of time; an i wanted to get your input into the validity of the craft in regards to self def/mma applications.

unlike alot of people here i don't have a tma bias, mainly cus all the people i know who train them all train realistically and make it a point to work w/diff stylist.

if u know anything about me, most of my training comes from alot of mat time and very limited tech training/instruction..that and some actual boxing training, sparring and some self teaching of boxing.

i have sparred a few hapkido guys, the standup to me was awkward as far as angles and the setups; the groundwork i found to be somewhat iffy, when working from the top they seemed to be able to work good control and strikes on the ground. AN THEY WERE GOOD IN THE CLINCH, GETTING SWEEPS OR LOCKING/MAINPULATING AND COUNTERING W/STRIKES.

THAT being said the subs to me, were not anything particularly special; not saying they were bad, just not anything i would put on par w/what i had seen. That and the fact the hapkido guys seem pretty limited from the ground as far as over off/def or being able to get back up or move eff. An me being a bit of a mover (footwork/head&upperbody movement); it seem to handcuff the in their ability to close/gauge dist and get off offensively, the footwork seemed to be a bit limited/one dimensional

my opinion of the art is that it is a good one, i think it has the tools and strategy to be eff against a variety of styles.

Way to pull up an old thread just so you can bash on a "TMA" to make yourself feel better. Does showing your ignorance on an internet forum raise your self-esteem?

no, quite the opposite. i believe it was asked if anyone knew of hapkido. i simply gave the only experience i had with it.. i never said that hapkido sucks or is a joke.. simply that the demonstration he gave didn't work in his favor. since that post i've met some pretty gruesome hapkido fighters. the guy in the first post just happened to be an instructor so i thought it was really funny. and what about you ryouboard? where's your useful information, story oh wise warrior of the keyboard?

Back