Hapkido?

Brad said:
I checked out the hapkido world site and viewed a couple of those "practical sparring" clips. I don't know how you could have your head so far up a style's ass that you can't see that those are coordinated. None of those kicks are thrown with any intent, and the guy hands over everything on the ground. Hell, he doesn't even fight back. likewise, they're all skipping around and hopping in with side kicks and spinning rearleg sweeps while their hands dangle around their belts. .

it wasn't sparring, was a demonstration, just a translation mistake, if you rally checked the site how the heck you didn't see this video??the link it's just there

http://www.pro-hapkido.com/Portals/0/Trailer.mpg

Brad, if you've never trained hapkido, why don't you shut the fuck up?

It is really humiliating when you are arguing against people who HAVE trained in the martial art, and the best you can provide in response is some video off the internet.

Brazilian HKD said:
you are right, these techniques suck and that's a fact, but believe me there are better styles of hkd just like the video i provided some posts ago, the post 1978 styles became really watered down and adquired stupid techniques by the lack of sparring

So which Hapkido styles/organisations do you recommend? I live in Australia and the prevalent organisation here seems to be the Korea Hapkido Federation, which I think is Moo Hak Kwan style.

I believe Brad got owned or "pwn3d" (as Brad will probably understand better as exhibited by his lack of intelligent arguments and immature attitude in his posts) by Brazilian HKD's examples shown by Gracies and Muay Thai.

Find a good school and learn something instead of thinking you know everything and showing everyone just how ignorant you are.

Big_One said:
So which Hapkido styles/organisations do you recommend? I live in Australia and the prevalent organisation here seems to be the Korea Hapkido Federation, which I think is Moo Hak Kwan style.
ell the best thing is to visit the dojang

check these things

-sparring(kyorugui) with full contact low kicks and at least some head punches
-grappling(pantogui and donjigui)
-self defense techniques (hoshinsul)

han moo and world hkd looks descent as well as bum moo, my style

but of course, it really depends of the dojang, you can find some masters that are actually tkd guys who bought a hkd degree, so beware

good hkd has more influence of jjj than aikido (aikido esque styles really influenced hkd during the 1978 scandal, when the korean president was murdered by a hkd/bodyguard guy and hkd then was limited by the government with rules like no contact... someting similar what happened here when some polititians wanted to ban bjj because of the street fights)

ryouboard said:
I believe Brad got owned or "pwn3d" (as Brad will probably understand better as exhibited by his lack of intelligent arguments and immature attitude in his posts) by Brazilian HKD's examples shown by Gracies and Muay Thai.

Find a good school and learn something instead of thinking you know everything and showing everyone just how ignorant you are.
surely, look how bas rutten, mma champion in 2 orgs became interested in krav maga instead of the "oh i know mt and grappling so i dont need anything else" and showed a ot of their techniques in his self defense videos

anything and everything is eff if u are trained correctly, i.e. realistic sparring and exposure to outside stylist...

i know hkd..tkd...kenpo...and kung fu dudes, who would hand alot of people on this board their asses, plain and simple; if u are open minded and train hard/realistically u can and will be eff, now some arts need more tools to become more eff. But every art needs some sort of supplement to make it well rounded and truly eff bjj/boxing/mt/kickboxing/wrestling/judo included.

i regularly spar w/a kenpo guy who trains w/very hard contact and very realistically; he has exposed himself to diff stylist learning how to apply what he does against diff martial artist, an while i was not very respectful or aware of the art when we 1st sparred mma style. I became very much so after sparring him; he gave me more trouble than some bjj/wrestlers/kickboxers and boxers i have done mma sparring w/.

it depends on the school/instructor...their goals and their focus...if it's real and well researched they will be able to add to ur game quite eff.

Hmm...I'm surprised at how many posts there are on this thread comparing HKD to MMA or "knocking" it's techniques by trying to validate it through an MMA format.

I've trained in HKD for 10 years, and one of my best teachers was also a very successful MMA style fighter. He fought in the Kyuk-Too-Gi (Korea's version of MMA) and won convincingly. I've also been training in BJJ and in Muay Thai, so I've seen the MMA "side of the coin" as well.

What I don't get about most of the people posting is that they're totally ignoring that HKD is built specifically to DEFEND yourself. Not GNP someone or KO them with 5 knees to the head. Self-defense can be as simple as breakfalling to protect yourself from taking a hard fall or using a joint-lock to subdue an attacker long enough for you to get away or to keep him from attacking you further. Anyone who's actually fought on both the street and in competition knows there's a strict difference between self-defense and fighting competitively. Just look up Alex Gong or Lee Murray and you'll find out why.

For the technique "pricks" who think that a martial art simply isn't good because one technique doesn't work for them, open your eyes because all martial arts have techniques that don't work for some people, but work for others. There are numerous BJJ techniques that my instructor has shown that the class definitely didn't like, but worked great for his game. That's WHY you learn more than one technique, so you can find out what suits you. If one technique worked all the time, I wouldn't be wasting time posting on this forum. I'd be making millions of dollars teaching my "ultimate technique" that works on everyone.

About a year ago, my BJJ teacher had invited Mestre Alvaro Barreto to do a seminar for us. Mestre Barreto had stated at the end of the seminar that he would love to do a more "self-defense" oriented seminar the next time we brought him back. Ironically, I asked my BJJ teacher about this and he said "Don't worry, it's pretty much like HKD...Anyway, I'd rather have him work sport BJJ instead..."

Mu Bai said:
Hmm...I'm surprised at how many posts there are on this thread comparing HKD to MMA or "knocking" it's techniques by trying to validate it through an MMA format.

I've trained in HKD for 10 years, and one of my best teachers was also a very successful MMA style fighter. He fought in the Kyuk-Too-Gi (Korea's version of MMA) and won convincingly. I've also been training in BJJ and in Muay Thai, so I've seen the MMA "side of the coin" as well.

What I don't get about most of the people posting is that they're totally ignoring that HKD is built specifically to DEFEND yourself. Not GNP someone or KO them with 5 knees to the head. Self-defense can be as simple as breakfalling to protect yourself from taking a hard fall or using a joint-lock to subdue an attacker long enough for you to get away or to keep him from attacking you further. Anyone who's actually fought on both the street and in competition knows there's a strict difference between self-defense and fighting competitively. Just look up Alex Gong or Lee Murray and you'll find out why.

For the technique "pricks" who think that a martial art simply isn't good because one technique doesn't work for them, open your eyes because all martial arts have techniques that don't work for some people, but work for others. There are numerous BJJ techniques that my instructor has shown that the class definitely didn't like, but worked great for his game. That's WHY you learn more than one technique, so you can find out what suits you. If one technique worked all the time, I wouldn't be wasting time posting on this forum. I'd be making millions of dollars teaching my "ultimate technique" that works on everyone.

About a year ago, my BJJ teacher had invited Mestre Alvaro Barreto to do a seminar for us. Mestre Barreto had stated at the end of the seminar that he would love to do a more "self-defense" oriented seminar the next time we brought him back. Ironically, I asked my BJJ teacher about this and he said "Don't worry, it's pretty much like HKD...Anyway, I'd rather have him work sport BJJ instead..."

Couldn't said it better !!!

Ppl always comparing TMA with MMA, it's a shame they don't know any better and think MMA is the only ultimate self defense for on street and in the ring etc.

I don't know too much about it, but when I was living in Korea for 2 years I sparred a lot of Hapkido guys, and most of them would freak out if I got inside their kicking range and started throwing punches. one guy even stopped and said " no punch, we only kick in Hapkido". *shrug* Again I don't have much experience with it, but with what I did have, I wasn't too impressed. But it could have been that the fighters just sucked.

Orsyn said:
I don't know too much about it, but when I was living in Korea for 2 years I sparred a lot of Hapkido guys, and most of them would freak out if I got inside their kicking range and started throwing punches. one guy even stopped and said " no punch, we only kick in Hapkido". *shrug* Again I don't have much experience with it, but with what I did have, I wasn't too impressed. But it could have been that the fighters just sucked.

I'd say the latter...my dealings vis-a-vis Hapkido led me to believe that they were better with their hands than, say, someone who trained TKD the way it's generally taught these days (straight-up kicking, kicking, kicking, and more kicking). It made sense as they seemed to prefer joints locks, submissions, and throws and deployed kicking as something of an alternate method.

Hapkido's weakness is the same weakness inherent to all traditional jujutsu based styles - it is better to practice a smaller number of techniques that are "safe" to perform on a fully resisting partner than a wide number of techniques that require the cooperation of your partner because they are too "dangerous."

It didn't get the same memo that all the Japanese jujutsu schools didn't get when the Judo revolution hit.

Learning it as a standalone martial art for it's own sake, it can be rich and rewarding. As a practical means of self defense, you are better off learning Judo + a full contact striking art (if you want to remain traditional).

If you want to do TMA, you'll be better off with kenpo or kyokushin. Hapkido is aikijutsu/aikido mixed with high kicks. Being a wrestler, you already have a good background. What else do you want to add to your arsenal?

I think that if your interested in taking hapkido and you really put effort into it, it'l be well worthwhile. No its not Muay Thai or wrestling or BJJ or all the other styles that have proven themselves in MMA events, but thats not really the point.

A guy from my work takes Aikido (a bit different, but bear with me)
Would he win a fight against Cro Cop or any devoted MMA guy? Probably not
Would he win a fight against some jerk-off trying to twist an arm? Absolutely

There seems to be a lot of good advice on this forum, and I think it comes down to what you mean by worthwhile.
Are you training for MMA, or are you interested in self-defense?

laz0001 said:
I do hapkido, and i can say if you want to learn control and restraint, hapkido is for you. It's not matched for sparring, and you can't catch and lock jabs and fast punches, you just end up kickboxing, which hapkido doesn't stress so much, but ever tried to grab a guy who is reasonable at hapkido. You'll be in a lot of pain of you do. Hapkido works very well against Judo.
I Agrred. Hapkido works when you are grabbed and is useful for Judo but I would not try to catch punches. I have talked to people that trained Hapkido (I have several years experience), and a few of them think they can stop someone who is punhcing or kicking. They can't but you do not want to put you hand on a Hapkido guy since you will get hurt. It is impossible to catch a punch put easy to break someones hand, arm or shoulder if they grab you.

RickoOodles said:
Kent, if thats your real name. Have you ever wrestled? Hapkido prepares you for guys that come into you with jumping side kicks, and chambered punches. Wrestling is applyable to mma, or if your into that gentle shit take Judo.

lol have you ever TRAINED in judo for a solid session of full on sparring?

if you did, probably wasn't w/ decent people.

getting throw 32453 times a night is not for weekend warriors... usually ppl end up eating their words when they actually train. wrestling is hardcore, but don't discount something you haven't fully trained in.

sugarboyae said:
lol have you ever TRAINED in judo for a solid session of full on sparring?

if you did, probably wasn't w/ decent people.

getting throw 32453 times a night is not for weekend warriors... usually ppl end up eating their words when they actually train. wrestling is hardcore, but don't discount something you haven't fully trained in.

Heh heh...this is the truth.

I've been thrown multiple times by a good judo hip throw.

It hurt enough on a throw mat. I wouldn't want to hit concrete. Lets just say it convinced me to always be a polite person in public. Never know when someone might hip throw you on asphalt tile flooring.

;)

1. Judo ain't gentle.
2. Hapkido ain't magic (unlike all of the other martial arts :D )

Hapkido, is however, a lot of fun. And, like ALL martial arts, applicability comes down to TRAINING METHODS, not techniques.

(This is coming from a BJJ/Combat Hapkido/MMA guy)

The only good thing about white belts resurrecting long-dead threads for no apparent reason is seeing how many of the posters from a year and a half ago have since been banned.

Any mods out there have statistics on Sherdog user mortality/turnover rates? :)

Back