Hapkido?

judogido said:
Are you serious or taking the mickey: "if your into that gentle shit take Judo"

Should read "come home with bruises, busted knees, shoulders, fingers, toes, ribs, scrapes on our bodies, cauliflower ears and more. Practice flying 2 metres into the air and being smashed into the ground at the end - then getting squashed in a hold-down, choked or have arms half torn out of our sockets."

It is one of the LEAST "gentle way" I know... I think Jigoro had WAY to much saki when he came up with the name - or at least a sense of humour.
judo1.jpg

When you compare Judo takedowns to Greco ones, i would definately say that the Greco ones are much much more vicious.. Greco grabs you, picks you up and just simply and viciously slamms you on the mat...

don't take hopkido man. So let me sum up all the posts from these guys; uh no, no and hell no man.

i practiced Hapkido for a coupla years. its just simply a martial art and i dont consider it to be a fully effective FIGHTING system. it just very flowery traditional techniques, that i feel would'nt be effective in a real or mma envoiroment. keep up the wrestling dude, mix in bjj and dont 4get thaiboxing AND boxing. its just not realistic enough. all the best

Brazilian HKD said:
is a good style if you do full contact sparring

avoid the styles after 1978

the hkd dojang you found must have low kicks and head punches (just like nono royce gracie's stand up trainer, he is from a traditional hkd style)

but if you live in the us of a, well try the this link
http://www.worldhapkido.com/news-past21.htm

these guys have some interesting rules in the trunaments matches (pro hapkido)
http://www.pro-hapkido.com/
Just saw the site. Looks like tkd and judo mixed. They do have take down and i was quite impressed that they have subs used in mma.(armbar,triangle choke)

k1 man said:
Just saw the site. Looks like tkd and judo mixed. They do have take down and i was quite impressed that they have subs used in mma.(armbar,triangle choke)

that's because all of these techs were done in judo and jjj long before mma

I have a big problem with most of these, what I consider, flash n' trash "martial arts systems". It really urks me that people teach something that's meant for sport or fitness as a legitimate form of self defense or fighting. It's like when someone thinks they're bad ass because they "take karate" then you find out they're training in american shotokan.

Hapkido will get you killed on the street and beaten in the ring, end of story. For fitness it's great, as a legitimate form of self defense or as a complete martial arts system. It's worthless.

Sigh. It's sad to see so many ignorant people posting about what they have no idea about.

Hapkido is a self-defense based martial art, and it's for the street. I've used it on the street to protect myself. It works. Period.

Perhaps you will be able to ignore the senseless things some people say and come to your own conclusion after studying it.

In a world of uncertainty, it's nice to know that some things can be counted on to be as sure as death and taxes. For instance: the responses to a Sherdog thread where anyone makes the mistake of asking advice on anything other than Muay Thai and BJJ. You get a sliver of helpful advice and/or reasoned, knowing criticism and a mountain of bullshit from misinformed individuals taking a shit on anything that isn't "MMA" like good little drones.

As I've mentioned repeatedly: my former instructor was a bouncer. He's forgotten about more fights than 99% of the keyboard warriors and self-professed know-it-alls on Sherdog have ever been in during their entire lives. He's taken on all sizes, multiple opponents, people pulling knives, bottles, pool cues, bar stools, and in one case, a loaded handgun. He won every fight handily. IN the majority of these encounters, he prevailed using Hapkido, Aikido, a modicum of boxing, or all three. In a minority of these encounters (usually, mass brawls that spilled into a parking lot or an alley) he used Taekwondo. Which is to say he routinely won fights-- real fights, not fights in an octagon with refs, rules, and months of advanced notice of how his opponents fight or how many people he'd be fighting, for that matter-- using fighting techniques from styles that people here routinely claim are "bullshit" and "won't work in the street" as though it was unassailable fact.

This is about the time when some genius tells me that the aformentioned are useless because either a) they don';t work against a well-trained opponent or b) they don't work in MMA. That's all good and well. If you live in an area that is densely populated with expert martial artists and highly-trained MMA fighters, then that would be cause for concern. I myself have been hitherto lucky to have lived in places populated by people who are like the majority of people everywhere, so it's not yet been a going concern of mine.

My advice to anyone asking about training this or that art is the same: check out the school, check out the instruction, educate yourself about the place. If it's legit, you've little or nothing to lose by training.

Hmmm

seems like most here have no idea about Hapkido...

It's a bit of a mix of techniques from TKD, Jiu Jitsu, and Aikido..

Well worth checking out...

Though like all Martial Arts, there are areas lacking..

I think BJJ has some more effective ways of doing similar things (but thats wat BJJ is, an improvement on many techinques)....
For those of you asking about the Judo, Hapkido thing... Hapkido was designed to deal with Judo/ JiuJitsu guys... so a lot of the self defense techniques, are against grabs from something a Judo guy might do...

Yeah sherdog forum not the best place to get Matial Art advice...

If you havn't done any martial arts before.. Try Hapkido, and maybe some boxing/ muay thai...
Doing two together, will give ou a nice practicle base...

laz0001 said:
I do hapkido, and i can say if you want to learn control and restraint, hapkido is for you. It's not matched for sparring, and you can't catch and lock jabs and fast punches, you just end up kickboxing, which hapkido doesn't stress so much, but ever tried to grab a guy who is reasonable at hapkido. You'll be in a lot of pain of you do. Hapkido works very well against Judo.

Obviously you havent seen bjj vs hapkido.
Rorion has a video circling around where he takes on some Hapkido guys.. They get clinched and then on the ground...fights over.

Ill look for the vids, i have them on my home computer. but no link to them.

Im not saying its a bad martial art or that BJJ is the greatest. It looks cool and has some things to offer. Its just not very practical and most of the kicks and things will lead you toward bad habbits that are easily exposed.

Gsoares2 said:
Obviously you havent seen bjj vs hapkido.
Rorion has a video circling around where he takes on some Hapkido guys.. They get clinched and then on the ground...fights over.

Ill look for the vids, i have them on my home computer. but no link to them.

Im not saying its a bad martial art or that BJJ is the greatest. It looks cool and has some things to offer. Its just not very practical and most of the kicks and things will lead you toward bad habbits that are easily exposed.

ok try this one

hapkido vs bjj, circuito de lutas 3, 1995

alessandro (hkd)vs godoi(bjj)

alessandro koes the bjj guy with downward punches in the first round

alessandro now is the mma instructor of macaco's gold gym

in the style vs style, everyone can give examples with both sides being praised according to
the situation and the parciality of the footage

and you know.gracies in action are not actually the best source to check all martial arts existent... acording to these videos even kickboxing is worthless

Gregster said:
In a world of uncertainty, it's nice to know that some things can be counted on to be as sure as death and taxes. For instance: the responses to a Sherdog thread where anyone makes the mistake of asking advice on anything other than Muay Thai and BJJ. You get a sliver of helpful advice and/or reasoned, knowing criticism and a mountain of bullshit from misinformed individuals taking a shit on anything that isn't "MMA" like good little drones.

As I've mentioned repeatedly: my former instructor was a bouncer. He's forgotten about more fights than 99% of the keyboard warriors and self-professed know-it-alls on Sherdog have ever been in during their entire lives. He's taken on all sizes, multiple opponents, people pulling knives, bottles, pool cues, bar stools, and in one case, a loaded handgun. He won every fight handily. IN the majority of these encounters, he prevailed using Hapkido, Aikido, a modicum of boxing, or all three. In a minority of these encounters (usually, mass brawls that spilled into a parking lot or an alley) he used Taekwondo. Which is to say he routinely won fights-- real fights, not fights in an octagon with refs, rules, and months of advanced notice of how his opponents fight or how many people he'd be fighting, for that matter-- using fighting techniques from styles that people here routinely claim are "bullshit" and "won't work in the street" as though it was unassailable fact.

This is about the time when some genius tells me that the aformentioned are useless because either a) they don';t work against a well-trained opponent or b) they don't work in MMA. That's all good and well. If you live in an area that is densely populated with expert martial artists and highly-trained MMA fighters, then that would be cause for concern. I myself have been hitherto lucky to have lived in places populated by people who are like the majority of people everywhere, so it's not yet been a going concern of mine.

My advice to anyone asking about training this or that art is the same: check out the school, check out the instruction, educate yourself about the place. If it's legit, you've little or nothing to lose by training.

This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. I don't even know where to start with this post. First off, if you want to consider hapkido as a viable fighting system, let's examine what it teaches as martial principle. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what would happen if this "technique" was attempted ANYWHERE outside of a pre-arranged, "1 step" setting.

defense against a round kick

So basically, the hapkidoka (I'm assuming this is what you call hapkido practicioners), is taught to drop his guard hand, turn to face the kick, and try and catch it. brilliant strategy. Not only is this completely ludacrious, but even more, this hapkido club deems it as technique of the month. Apparently this was the best "counter" they could come up with for the month of december. I don't see how they're students don't get seriously injured even in practice.

Let's examine another set of ludacrious techniques:

various other bullshit

This isn't intended to criticize the practicioners or their instructors, but I'm really not one to let this crap get passed off as viable self defense just because people don't know any better and nobody wants to step up and criticize what's being taught. I'll only go through the first 3 techniques for sake of time. "Center lock 1 and 2" are pretty much your standard "wrist twist" submissions that you find in hapkido and in alot of aikido. If applied quickly and properly this move can be really really devestating, however, it's taught so improperly here that it isn't even funny. You might as well ask the guy to roll up his sleeve so you can give him an indian sunburn until he cries "Matte!". Trying to control his opponent with one hand in a wristlock is just outright retarded. If the attacker pivots out and drops his shoulder and elbow down, the defender is forced to let go or can be caught in sort of a standing americana counter. Not only that, but in this situation, the counter is actually pretty intuitive, it's the body's natural response to turn away to get out of the pain, so unless the torqued hand is taken and cut back across the body to take balance, the technique is completely ineffectual, and even if those measures are take, it's still suspect. As it is, if the attacker drops his elbow and turns into the defender, really all he has to do is lift his unaffected elbow up while he does this to take his defender's head off.

Now we get to Punch counter 1, which is absolutely fucking laughable. The insinuation that even the most drunk and ignorant bum is going to leave his *JAB* dangling out there while you proceed to block it, trap it, pivot to the outside, then complete the "throw" is absurd, it's absolutely indefensible. There's so much wasted motion here that jackie chan couldn't coreograph something more farfetched. With a little further inspection you can find 10,000 more flaws in the hapkido system. that's why people don't like it, it has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't muay thai or bjj. People like BJJ and Muay Thai because they're simple and effective and there's none of this ridiculous "self defense" aspect. And yes, there are some tactics in BJJ that are "impractical" in a street fight, but most of those are modified for competition purposes, and most BJJ practicioners will be the first to tell you "hey, don't bother trying this out on the street, adapt this instead."

As far as your "friend" who seems to be able to decimate entire crowds with his withering monkey style, I suspect it has more to do with his physical conditioning/superiority and his mental state when entering the fight moreso than the style he used.

Like I said, I have no problem acknowledging the good these martial arts can do in areas such as general fitness, mental conditioning, and recreational enjoyment, but suggesting that someone lean on this art and entrust their life to it is not something I can do with a good conscious. That's why I switched from aikido after five hard years of training. I'm intimately familiar with the system, and it's flaws. I have no qualms admitting that cross training striking and submission fighting is infinitely more viable than my aikido ever was. So before you presume to know everything about the people criticizing the style, you should.... nevermind.. you're not going to listen anyway.

Calm down man.. the fact is most people here have no idea about Hapkido...

but having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Anyway... Hapkido, like i said above is a bit of a mix of aikido, jiu jitsu, and tkd..
there are a few techniques from elsewhere also...

Alhtough i can't talk for every hapkido school in the world, but when i did Hapkido it was pretty good...

ALthough the Korean Instructor was a little bit traditional, and did tend to work with those punches that come out and sit in the air :( whats the deal with that??

oh well...
when dealing with a round house kick, we never did the whole turn in to it your talkin about... seems a bit crazy, that was like exactly what we were taught not to do... There were two takes on catching a round house... One was exactly the same as taught in my BJJ class... no problem there.. the other was kinda similar, using almost like a MT block and then going into a grab... again quite effective.. and of course you can't stay on the spot or anything...
We did self defense which was .. a little harsher versions of aikido techniques combined with lots of striking.. kicks very similar to TKD, but a few extras added in for good measure
Plenty of ground work... but probably similar to traditional JJ... BJJ is better...

The main weakness like a lot of Martial Arts, is not protecting the face in a practicle way like a boxer does....

But Hapkido is very practicle don't take a few dogy schools as a representation as all the art has to offer..... i mean there are plenty of dodgy BJJ and MT schools around, that teach crap... and we all no that those arts can be effective...

Brad said:
This is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. I don't even know where to start with this post. First off, if you want to consider hapkido as a viable fighting system, let's examine what it teaches as martial principle. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what would happen if this "technique" was attempted ANYWHERE outside of a pre-arranged, "1 step" setting.

So basically, the hapkidoka (I'm assuming this is what you call hapkido practicioners), is taught to drop his guard hand, turn to face the kick, and try and catch it. brilliant strategy. Not only is this completely ludacrious, but even more, this hapkido club deems it as technique of the month. Apparently this was the best "counter" they could come up with for the month of december. I don't see how they're students don't get seriously injured even in practice.

various other bullshit

This isn't intended to criticize the practicioners or their instructors, but I'm really not one to let this crap get passed off as viable self defense just because people don't know any better and nobody wants to step up and criticize what's being taught. I'll only go through the first 3 techniques for sake of time. "Center lock 1 and 2" are pretty much your standard "wrist twist" submissions that you find in hapkido and in alot of aikido. If applied quickly and properly this move can be really really devestating, however, it's taught so improperly here that it isn't even funny. You might as well ask the guy to roll up his sleeve so you can give him an indian sunburn until he cries "Matte!". Trying to control his opponent with one hand in a wristlock is just outright retarded. If the attacker pivots out and drops his shoulder and elbow down, the defender is forced to let go or can be caught in sort of a standing americana counter. Not only that, but in this situation, the counter is actually pretty intuitive, it's the body's natural response to turn away to get out of the pain, so unless the torqued hand is taken and cut back across the body to take balance, the technique is completely ineffectual, and even if those measures are take, it's still suspect. As it is, if the attacker drops his elbow and turns into the defender, really all he has to do is lift his unaffected elbow up while he does this to take his defender's head off.

Now we get to Punch counter 1, which is absolutely fucking laughable. The insinuation that even the most drunk and ignorant bum is going to leave his *JAB* dangling out there while you proceed to block it, trap it, pivot to the outside, then complete the "throw" is absurd, it's absolutely indefensible. There's so much wasted motion here that jackie chan couldn't coreograph something more farfetched. With a little further inspection you can find 10,000 more flaws in the hapkido system. that's why people don't like it, it has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't muay thai or bjj. People like BJJ and Muay Thai because they're simple and effective and there's none of this ridiculous "self defense" aspect. And yes, there are some tactics in BJJ that are "impractical" in a street fight, but most of those are modified for competition purposes, and most BJJ practicioners will be the first to tell you "hey, don't bother trying this out on the street, adapt this instead."

As far as your "friend" who seems to be able to decimate entire crowds with his withering monkey style, I suspect it has more to do with his physical conditioning/superiority and his mental state when entering the fight moreso than the style he used.

Like I said, I have no problem acknowledging the good these martial arts can do in areas such as general fitness, mental conditioning, and recreational enjoyment, but suggesting that someone lean on this art and entrust their life to it is not something I can do with a good conscious. That's why I switched from aikido after five hard years of training. I'm intimately familiar with the system, and it's flaws. I have no qualms admitting that cross training striking and submission fighting is infinitely more viable than my aikido ever was. So before you presume to know everything about the people criticizing the style, you should.... nevermind.. you're not going to listen anyway.

I've heard if you find a decent Hapkido place, it's on par with Judo. Thing is, it's often connected to Taekwondo, which is often connected to... McDojo...

Brad said:

various other bullshit

you are right, these techniques suck and that's a fact, but believe me there are better styles of hkd just like the video i provided some posts ago, the post 1978 styles became really watered down and adquired stupid techniques by the lack of sparring

BUT
see this kick defense technique
http://www.gracieacademy.com/street2vid.html
the same problems huh?
and the gracies does that too...so they are mcdojo too?

or this mt technique
old-fighters-11_small.JPG

or even this one
old-fighters-6_small.gif

so mt is mcdojo too?

we can but bad examples of techniques even in bjj and mt , it happens a lot actually, what we must do then is to be critic enough to evolve these systems seeing the mistakes

Ok, some of you people seem to either have had very crappy TKD instructors who learnt some locks, and think they are now teaching hapkido, OR, have never attended a HKD class, and seem to think it's some bullshit fancy fighting kung fu shit. It's not. Ok, you do MT. If someone came up to your face and threatened you, you'd kick there ass right? Good.

Ok, what if someone put you in a headlock? By surprise. A big strong tough guy, who then put all his weight on you so you couldn;t straigten up and strike him? A lot of people would be unfamilier with the postion, and panic, and not get out. And be fucked. Pat Militech couldn't get out of Carlos newtons simple schoolyard headlock, and they are both skilled athletes. The aim of hapkido is to deal with these uncontrolled, thuggish attacks. Wild haymakers, pushes, grabs, bearhugs, headlocks. Here's just one way:

http://www.worldhapkido.com/videos/Headlock Grab defense.wmv.

http://www.worldhapkido.com/videos/Bear hug under arm BBGD.wmv

You know, people who go for you in the street, are either drunk, or in an emotional state, and these people 99 times out of 100 will attack with a wild power punch, a grab and wrestle, or a push. Tell me I'm wrong?

And these things are the bread and butter of a good hakido guy. Cover/block and evade the strike by coming in...maybe put a headbut in as you close in, and putting your other elbow in their side ribs...hard. Then sweep the back of their legs out and land down with your knee on them, and smack them in the face or stomach or whereever you chose, then if you want, carry on, or alternately lock them up and submit them. Easy, takes no time...simple hapkido move.

It's for self defense agaisnt thuggish unskilled attacks. It wont work against skilled attacks, you can't catch jabs and skilled punches, ther are too fast. But it will work against your average guy on the street.

Brad said:

So basically, the hapkidoka (I'm assuming this is what you call hapkido practicioners)...

No.

...is taught to drop his guard hand, turn to face the kick, and try and catch it. brilliant strategy. Not only is this completely ludacrious, but even more, this hapkido club deems it as technique of the month. Apparently this was the best "counter" they could come up with for the month of december. I don't see how they're students don't get seriously injured even in practice.

The examples that Brazilian HKD gave below have already addressed this as well as I ever could have. Moving along...

various other bullshit

This isn't intended to criticize the practicioners or their instructors, but I'm really not one to let this crap get passed off as viable self defense just because people don't know any better and nobody wants to step up and criticize what's being taught. I'll only go through the first 3 techniques for sake of time. "Center lock 1 and 2" are pretty much your standard "wrist twist" submissions that you find in hapkido and in alot of aikido. If applied quickly and properly this move can be really really devestating, however, it's taught so improperly here that it isn't even funny.

Stated another way: Hapkido sucks because even though it has some viable techniques, you found a video of someone doing it wrong. Golly, that's brilliant.

Trying to control his opponent with one hand in a wristlock is just outright retarded. If the attacker pivots out and drops his shoulder and elbow down, the defender is forced to let go or can be caught in sort of a standing americana counter. Not only that, but in this situation, the counter is actually pretty intuitive, it's the body's natural response to turn away to get out of the pain, so unless the torqued hand is taken and cut back across the body to take balance, the technique is completely ineffectual, and even if those measures are take, it's still suspect. As it is, if the attacker drops his elbow and turns into the defender, really all he has to do is lift his unaffected elbow up while he does this to take his defender's head off.

Stated another way: the Hapkido technique you describe is useless, unless applied by a practitioner who knows what in the hell he's doing and can transition against an opponents' attempt to counter or get out of it. I'm sure I am not alone in my desire to express profound gratitude for taking the time to stop by and state the bleedin' obvious.

Now we get to Punch counter 1, which is absolutely fucking laughable. The insinuation that even the most drunk and ignorant bum is going to leave his *JAB* dangling out there while you proceed to block it, trap it, pivot to the outside, then complete the "throw" is absurd, it's absolutely indefensible.

Assuming you believe that a dramatically slowed-down execution of the technique for demonstration purposes is an accurate reflection of how it's intended to be applied.

With a little further inspection you can find 10,000 more flaws in the hapkido system.

I'm sure it'd take more than a "little further inspection" to find 10,000 flaws in anything.

People like BJJ and Muay Thai because they're simple and effective and there's none of this ridiculous "self defense" aspect.

As we all know that self defense and martial arts shuld have nothing to do with each other.

As far as your "friend" who seems to be able to decimate entire crowds with his withering monkey style...

Good idea, attempting to brazenly misrepresent what I said. That really lends a great deal of credibility to your arguement. That witty part about withering monkey style was also a nice touch.

...I suspect it has more to do with his physical conditioning/superiority and his mental state when entering the fight moreso than the style he used.

Yes, as an ardent practitioner and instructor of martial arts with considerable experience, he was in good shape and had the requisite confidence in his abilities to win fights.

Gregster said:
No.

The examples that Brazilian HKD gave below have already addressed this as well as I ever could have. Moving along...

Stated another way: Hapkido sucks because even though it has some viable techniques, you found a video of someone doing it wrong. Golly, that's brilliant.

Apparently it's difficult for you grasp the concept of a microcosm, let me explain:

It'd take too long to point out every fundamentally taught flaw in the style so I use a few examples to show just a few OF MANY reasons why one shouldn't expect the art to be for self defense purposes.

Gregster said:
Stated another way: the Hapkido technique you describe is useless, unless applied by a practitioner who knows what in the hell he's doing and can transition against an opponents' attempt to counter or get out of it. I'm sure I am not alone in my desire to express profound gratitude for taking the time to stop by and state the bleedin' obvious.

If he did learn the transition, he didn't learn it in the hapkido school, or if he did, he had to wait a good 3 or 4 years. Most schools won't teach reversals until brown or black belt levels, let alone reversals of reversals.

Gregster said:
Assuming you believe that a dramatically slowed-down execution of the technique for demonstration purposes is an accurate reflection of how it's intended to be applied.

So let me get this straight.... You slow down and improperly execute techniques as a drill hoping that somehow your body will change it's trained physiological response and muscle memory into something different when the movement is executed at speed? Nice..

Gregster said:
I'm sure it'd take more than a "little further inspection" to find 10,000 flaws in anything.

Not something so painfully obvious as this.

Gregster said:
As we all know that self defense and martial arts shuld have nothing to do with each other.

The point is the martial art SHOULD be a self defense art, it shouldn't have to be modified to adapt to a real life situation. BJJ is the reverse, it was formatted for real situations, then modified for sport purposes, the same with MT.

I checked out the hapkido world site and viewed a couple of those "practical sparring" clips. I don't know how you could have your head so far up a style's ass that you can't see that those are coordinated. None of those kicks are thrown with any intent, and the guy hands over everything on the ground. Hell, he doesn't even fight back. likewise, they're all skipping around and hopping in with side kicks and spinning rearleg sweeps while their hands dangle around their belts.

if this is the best example you can give me of functional hapkido, you're only solidifying my point.

Back