Hane Goshi guyys! (Dave Cam please post an opinion)

As I said, if you are going to describe judo teachniques you have to use the Japanese names. It's just that the rest of us can't really follow along.... Boo hoo for me, I know. Everyone needs to cry me a river, etc. :icon_cry2

^^
You are right. By the way, that's what people do in BJJ and it doesn't exactly work very well... "Hey guys, do you know how to do that inverted cannibal crusher guard thing? You know, I think someone called it the the vertical spider wrap guard lock move...."

^^
You are right. By the way, that's what people do in BJJ and it doesn't exactly work very well... "Hey guys, do you know how to do that inverted cannibal crusher guard thing? You know, I think someone called it the the vertical spider wrap guard lock move...."

We have a running joke at one of the judo clubs I go to where we come up with stupid names for grappling techniques. The game was inspired by a guy who trained at the club for a couple months and would say " oh that's a [insert random name]" everytime our sensei used the original judo term.

All you have to do to play is make a three word name. First word is an adjective form of a location, like Australian. Second word is any noun. Third is a noun with an "er" suffix, like poker.

Put it all together and get stuff like Cambodian knuckle biter, Sudanese toilet scrubber, Italian muskrat shaver... it goes on and on.

Next time you watch fights with your friends, just start shouting out names. It gets pretty hilarious the more everyone gets into it. -ken

^^
Ken -- that naming method is hilarious. I like your 3 examples, very funny. Got to try that next time I'm watching the UFC with friends.

I will try to explain this the best I can...

Even though I have been in Judo for a very long time. I am not really good with the names of the throws.
For example. I know what Harai-goshi is. But when it comes to Uchi Mata. I have been told what I do is Uchi Mata by some, and then some said I was doing Hane-goshi.

My throw to me is more uchimata, but I do occasionally bend my leg to get that extra lift off his leg. But no matter what throw I was executing, I always concentrated on hitting my hip just on the inside of his, with a small lifting motion. Then lifting the leg to finish.

One more note. The only time I do uchimata on the same side leg, is when they are in defensive posture. Other then that, i always enter in as if I am doing Harai-goshi, but my leg ends up on the inside, sometimes bent.

I explain my uchimata in full detail at MMA Instructional.com Live to Train, Train to Live! MMA Video Lessons from the Top MMA Fighters and Instructors!
I also explain my switch throw from uchimata which got me a lot of Ippon throws!

Sorry for any misspelled words..

Thanks for checking in, Camarillo Sensei. Always a pleasure to hear your perspective.

I also was told recently that my uchi mata is more like hane goshi.

I will try to explain this the best I can...

Even though I have been in Judo for a very long time. I am not really good with the names of the throws.
For example. I know what Harai-goshi is. But when it comes to Uchi Mata. I have been told what I do is Uchi Mata by some, and then some said I was doing Hane-goshi.

My throw to me is more uchimata, but I do occasionally bend my leg to get that extra lift off his leg. But no matter what throw I was executing, I always concentrated on hitting my hip just on the inside of his, with a small lifting motion. Then lifting the leg to finish.

One more note. The only time I do uchimata on the same side leg, is when they are in defensive posture. Other then that, i always enter in as if I am doing Harai-goshi, but my leg ends up on the inside, sometimes bent.

I explain my uchimata in full detail at MMA Instructional.com Live to Train, Train to Live! MMA Video Lessons from the Top MMA Fighters and Instructors!
I also explain my switch throw from uchimata which got me a lot of Ippon throws!

Sorry for any misspelled words..

Thank you. I have subscribed to your mmainstructional vids for over 3 months and have noticed... especially on you
"Uchimata to armbar" video, that sometimes it looked like hane goahi. The LAST one in full motion was definately a Hane. You got that spring too.

But to hell with names. They're all good throws regardless. You're the only other person I've seen the fires that hip straight forward and up on the inside like I like to do on my Uchimata. Very nice video series. I'm almost done and will move to Dave's videos next! :icon_chee

P.S. Everyone check out Dan and Dave on mmainstructional.com

Thanks for the response!!!!

Thank you. I have subscribed to your mmainstructional vids for over 3 months and have noticed... especially on you
"Uchimata to armbar" video, that sometimes it looked like hane goahi. The LAST one in full motion was definately a Hane. You got that spring too.

But to hell with names. They're all good throws regardless. You're the only other person I've seen the fires that hip straight forward and up on the inside like I like to do on my Uchimata. Very nice video series. I'm almost done and will move to Dave's videos next! :icon_chee

P.S. Everyone check out Dan and Dave on mmainstructional.com

Thanks for the response!!!!

Thank you for watching my videos. I tried to make them very technical and informative. If you have any questions on anything regarding Judo or Jiujitsu please feel free to ask me!

Back