Hane Goshi guyys! (Dave Cam please post an opinion)

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I know there's some of you. Come here if you're Judo and you're proud to be a Hane Goshi user. If not a user, even a fan I know it's old-school, but it just rocks. Any takers???...

Cheers to the mst beautiful throw in Judo! As hard and frustrating as it may be!

The haters will say that it's easier to do a Harai or and Uchimata, and tha there's no reason to do Hane over these other two. They're exactly right, but a perfect Hane Goshi is still a magical throw. Even though in 2008 you NEVER see it i competition... :icon_cry2

This has actually become my favorite forward throw...

Not my cup of tea, but much respect to those who hit it often and with style.

I can hit in uchi komi, randori hell nooo. Props if you can hit it. I love it though. Uchi mata is more on my mind, but hane goshi feels awesome if done right. A guy at my club has a really nice one. He jumps into it and shoots his hips forward to get this weird explosive lift. He's also a bronze junior nationals champ at one of the tougest divisions so.... :p

I can hit in uchi komi, randori hell nooo. Props if you can hit it. I love it though. Uchi mata is more on my mind, but hane goshi feels awesome if done right. A guy at my club has a really nice one. He jumps into it and shoots his hips forward to get this weird explosive lift. He's also a bronze junior nationals champ at one of the tougest divisions so.... :p

Yea if done right if feels like you;ve been hit with a freight train. Same with me. In practice I can static, but in randori, rarely, and in shiai, never.

my sensei was saying that hane goshi isnt as popular because its relatively easy to counter, unlike harai and uchimata, its still a pretty strong throw.

love it, looks cool, i cant do it in randori though. just not one of my throws.

The only time I have ever used this throw is right after my uke attempts a hip throw or something. He turns in and then turns out. It is very easy to apply Hane goshi on a partner who is retreating in that fashion. You can really get under him. That being said I would never use this throw in serious randori or shiai. The risk for counter seems lower by using uchimata.

oh bullshit! hane's fucking awesome.

does everybody know the taio/harai setup where you fient o or ko uchi and get them to step back, then fluff up?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-fUVJ5AM0I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-fUVJ5AM0I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

you just gotta kinda banzai. hane makikomi works even better.

Got to love these thread where guys speak largely in Japanese to describe their techniques. Nobody else besides judo guys can follow along... I guess that's the thing with doing judo. Meh.

Got to love these thread where guys speak largely in Japanese to describe their techniques. Nobody else besides judo guys can follow along... I guess that's the thing with doing judo. Meh.

Sorry man I forget where I am somtimes

uke - person you are throwing
randori - free practice
shiai - tournament
uchimata -inner thigh throw
hane goshi -spring hip throw

Right, because just having everyone call techniques by whatever name happens to suit them works MUCH better, and is much less confusing. :rolleyes:

ANyway, I put a post up a while back that talked a little bit about one of the advantages that hane goshi has over harai goshi and uchi mata.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s7wcWngYvNA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s7wcWngYvNA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yes, I know it's not a traditional version of the throw... but it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back