Hagler-Leonard Anniversary Let's Score it

I'll do it later. I've scored this a few times and always have Leonard winning. Hagler only wins if you give him extra credit for being a big puncher. Leonard outboxed him and built up a strong early lead in that one.

Good thread. Gonna re watch this tomorrow and score.

Ugh. Hagler dancing after the 12th. So painful.

at the time I had Hagler winning, but I loved him. I’ve gone back and forth over time as my appreciation for SRL has grown - or I’m able to put aside my disgust for his behavior towards Hagler.

Last edited:
Imo round 9 is indicative of how the judges failed .... Hagler pounded Leonard for the majority of the round , but a lot would score that round for Leonard because of the epic flurry he threw off the ropes .... but to me that’s a clear Hagler round

Edit just rewatched and maybe Leonard did do enough in that round ..., very hard fight to score...everything Leonard did looked so much prettier lol

Last edited:
very hard fight to score...everything Leonard did looked so much prettier lol
There's the intangible, some fighters just look good doing it, Robinson had it, Ali had it, Floyd had it but Ray TRUMPed them all. A virtuoso.

I have watched a lotta, lotta fights over a lotta decades and still don't consider myself a great scoring judge.

The first time I watched Leonard-Hagler I scored it narrowly for Leonard but I can't help but feel I was influenced by the pro-Leonard commentary.

I have watched the fight a number of times over the years since and each subsequent time I have had it for Hagler. Yes he starts slowly, but I think overall he wins more rounds. Close fight none the less.

*Haven't watched it in years... but at one time had one of the rounds (7th or 9th... not even sure now) being on the best rounds ever...

I've gone back and forth in the past. It's a genuinely difficult fight to score. I might give it another try later tonight.

I've had it for both guys, I've had it a draw. There's a few different ways you could go w/ this one, probably the single fight I've scored on paper the most times in my life. If I were to show a new boxing fan a fight that was about as tough to score as possible, I'd probably show them this one. I'll see if I have one or two of my cards written down and what the scores were. Last time I had Hagler winning but most of the time I've scored it a draw, or for SRL

*Haven't watched it in years... but at one time had one of the rounds (7th or 9th... not even sure now) being on the best rounds ever...
I do this thing where when I score fights, I'll mark down an esp good/great rd that both guys really go at it in, a "wow" rd and I'll right it in, circle it, and put an exclamation down in the box. Yeah seems gay but that's what I call em.

I have one card here where I scored it for Leonard 115-113 and the 9th as a wow rd. So probably you're thinking of the 9th. It was the only wow one I had for this fight.

Heard an analogy recently from someone - might have been Joe Gallagher - where he said he splits rounds into 3 x 1 minute segments and then at the end of the round he has 3 pieces of information to consider in allocating who gets the 10 and who gets the 9 for the round.

great fight. had leonard winning, but not convincingly.

such an awesome clash of styles and personalities. a true classic.

6-5-1 Leonard the last time I scored it. I don't mind 7-5 either way. 118-110 guy should have been shot.

It's been years since I last scored it. That said, Hagler was my favorite fighter growing up and I always hated Leonard. But I had Leonard winning a close fight, even though I was biased and tried to give Hagler rounds.

Hagler sandbagged himself and retired to Italy from the betting profits.

94cf1e02mksy.jpg

115-113 Leonard.

Very close, back and forth battle and had it level at the end of the 10th. Leonard stepped on the gas and took the last two rounds.

Back