Gym Idiots VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday. Deadlift day, so I'm doing sets of 5.

This "personal trainer" bitch walks in with some poor woman, starts showing her all the machines and having her try them (three different kinds of fucking curls) and then has the gall to come over and tell me "you shouldn't deadlift, it's bad for you and the equipment. I should tell the owner." Like she always is on Monday morning, the owner was mopping the floor about twenty feet away. She's seen me deadlift lots.

This woman was out of shape, probably 40, and looked like your typical stay-at-trailer mom except with Lycra and fingerless gloves.

It's fucking hysterical that people think a personal trainer certification is worth a goddamn thing.

In case I haven't mentioned it here, this is a real thing, and people seriously want one.

Looks like a good way to get injured. WTF is this good for other than learning to deal with this particular wobbliness?

Looks like a good way to get injured. WTF is this good for other than learning to deal with this particular wobbliness?

I think it's something similar to this, but probably taken too far.

Last edited:
The tsunami bar is just like the bamboo bar. It has it's place.

edit: it's been said I see.

there was this guy yesterday using one of those bosu platforms and he either had it on the ground or the seat of the lat pulldown. dude was standing on it doing straight arm pulldowns. wtf

Sure that youtube ad shows some dumb stuff, but there is a place for an element of instability in some people's training. Whether that's through a special bar, or unilateral exercises, it's just different tools, which may work better or worse for some people.

What's significant is what kind of instability - we can all laugh at bosu ball whatever, because the ground we stand on typically is pretty stable. But training where the individual, or object lifted, is unstable, can be applicable to a wider variety of situations. A very basic example would be including some unilateral lower body work.

Regarding a bamboo bar or tsunami bar, I believe the idea is to force someone to keep extra tight, and work on stabilizing the bar while performing the lift. For example, it's supposed to mean more work for the rotator cuffs while pressing. So it's used as a rehab/prehab tool.

Sure that youtube ad shows some dumb stuff, but there is a place for an element of instability in some people's training. Whether that's through a special bar, or unilateral exercises, it's just different tools, which may work better or worse for some people.

What's significant is what kind of instability - we can all laugh at bosu ball whatever, because the ground we stand on typically is pretty stable. But training where the individual, or object lifted, is unstable, can be applicable to a wider variety of situations. A very basic example would be including some unilateral lower body work.

Regarding a bamboo bar or tsunami bar, I believe the idea is to force someone to keep extra tight, and work on stabilizing the bar while performing the lift. For example, it's supposed to mean more work for the rotator cuffs while pressing. So it's used as a rehab/prehab tool.

I realize it may have its potential uses, but surely you also understand that for most people, as with BOSU balls, the application it's used for will not be what it is best suited towards.

I realize it may have its potential uses, but surely you also understand that for most people, as with BOSU balls, the application it's used for will not be what it is best suited towards.

Yeah. Although a lot of people have trouble using even the most basic gym equipment correctly. Mostly I just thought there seemed to be some criticism or lack of understand of that sort of bar itself.

I think their misuse of scientific terminology, plus the fact they were using techniques for which the bar is not suited, made it hard to see the video as anything but a joke.

There's a place for most things but that bar should clearly not be used for oly lifting, given the way the guy was almost smashing his face when trying to rack his cleans.

One time this stranger did something un-squat related in the squat rack. It ruined my night. I later posted about it on the internet.

I was quietly enjoying some friendly, harmless online banter about dumb shit people do in the gym, when this guy who was 'online' older than me came in a showed me the way.

mustbeawizard.jpg

Wanted to bench press last night but this guy already on it was taking forever because he was playing with his phone between sets. It didn't help that he was about twice my size and doing 5 reps per set with 40kg.

550865_548278508523192_1539972641_n.jpg

My buddy captured this gem last night.

Deadlifting, through their legs, in a twist/jerking motion.

I have no words...

Looks like a Jefferson Deadlift to me. Also looks like they're doing it wrong but it's a pretty good movement done correctly.

Looks like a Jefferson Deadlift to me. Also looks like they're doing it wrong but it's a pretty good movement done correctly.

Then it looks like he and I were there GI's here! Never heard of that one. Didn't sound to safe to him apparently.

Then it looks like he and I were there GI's here! Never heard of that one. Didn't sound to safe to him apparently.

I wouldn't say it's essential knowledge really. It's one of those lifts that comes up more when you're looking at old time strongman stuff.

I wouldn't say it's essential knowledge really. It's one of those lifts that comes up more when you're looking at old time strongman stuff.

Here's Kai Greene showing some bodybuilder how to do them at 5:00.

Here's Kai Greene showing some bodybuilder how to do them at 5:00.

Kai Greene is the first person I thought of when I saw that. I've never done the exercise before, but maybe it is akin to the trap-deadlift where the centre of gravity changes in the lift, emphasizing different muscles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back