• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gym Idiots v11

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is this one guy at my gym, uses chalk and makes a HUGE fucking mess on the bench.

then the bar gets just nasty with his sweat and wet chalk - gross.

that may have been me. I'm a sweaty bastard, I need wrist bands, chalk, a bandanna to wipe off myself and a towel to wipe off equipment and the floor.

Couple women made a comment about how sweaty I when working out, told them you should see me in bed :p

that may have been me. I'm a sweaty bastard, I need wrist bands, chalk, a bandanna to wipe off myself and a towel to wipe off equipment and the floor.

Couple women made a comment about how sweaty I when working out, told them you should see me in bed :p

LOL.

it's me, I workout in my own garage.

This was a while back, but I forgot to post about it. I finished my main sets and was in the middle of some back off sets on Deadlifts. At the gym I was currently at, the knurling was more or less smooth and very worn out, so any pulling work was difficult to complete. Somehow mid-set, as I was pulling, the bar slipped/rolled out of my hand and started spinning before it made a bit of a noise to receive some attention. Straight after finishing I stripped the bar down to a plate each side. Didnt realise one plate was in the middle of the sleeve of the barbell, tried to be clever and power clean the bar to the rack. One plate flew off the bar then the other followed and got a bit of attention again.

I got a couple in the past days.

Middle aged guy in the squat rack, mean mugging everyone as he puts 25lb plates on the bar. Jhooks at ear level, safeties at chest level, and I'm like wtf man. He proceeds to carefully fold his towel into a neat square, lay it on his neck, BACKPEDAL into the rack, walk the weight out of the rack and through the deadlift platform that's in front of the rack and bust out 5 halfreps, meanmugging everyone. He then took a 5 minute walk around the gym to show everyone who's the baws, and came back to bust out one more set, after which he just walked away.

The funniest bit was after I got to the rack after him and noticed that he was using the plastic 25~lb bar instead of a standard 45, so he had maybe 75lb on in total

Should have gone in and strict pressed it or curled it immediately after him.

Got one today, guy unracks some 20kg plates, and decides the best place to lean them is against the fire extinguisher. Unfortunately it didn't go off.

Has anyone notice how much different gyms are with social interaction compared to 10+ years ago?

I've notice very few people asking for spots today compared to years ago for example. In 2014 pretty much everyone in the gym is walking around with earbuds. Not saying its a bad thing just an observation

Has anyone notice how much different gyms are with social interaction compared to 10+ years ago?

I've notice very few people asking for spots today compared to years ago for example. In 2014 pretty much everyone in the gym is walking around with earbuds. Not saying its a bad thing just an observation

I always have earbuds in. Definitely need my workout playlist as opposed to the top 40 radio on at the gym. Only time I ask for a spot is my final set benching. I trust the pins and bail when I need to for squat and ohp. I don't go to/past failure for any of my assistance lifts. So yeah, accurate observation. I've never known anything different. Unless you counted my highschool gym, where it was nothing but our coaches' metal cds and all us stupid kids trying to outdo each other with horrible form, thus needing saving life spots for everything including deadlifts and cleans. (we'd stand behind a bro and make sure he didn't fall backwards. Only thing my coaches got right about lifting was to focus on 3x5 and told us to stick to barbells)

Been having a rough weekend so almost committed homicide today.

I've been sipping some BCAA's during workouts and my cousin asked if they've had any effect. Before I could answer he said "well, maybe you haven't noticed anything because your training is so... different. You don't go to failure purposely on any muscle." I asked him that because I don't go to failure I don't/can't get tired or fatigued. He answered yes.

I just stood there thinking about how I could get the body out of the gym because I already have a place to put it and an alibi. Instead I told him he's a prick. Which when he started his annoying "there's no shame in being wrong sometimes. You can learn from this." And the worst thing is that he thinks he's right!

So everybody who lifts heavy but don't go to failure: you're not supposed to get tired! All those who squat 4 times a week and complain about fatigue you're doing something wrong.

For fucks sake, Paddy.

Been having a rough weekend so almost committed homicide today.

I've been sipping some BCAA's during workouts and my cousin asked if they've had any effect. Before I could answer he said "well, maybe you haven't noticed anything because your training is so... different. You don't go to failure purposely on any muscle." I asked him that because I don't go to failure I don't/can't get tired or fatigued. He answered yes.

I just stood there thinking about how I could get the body out of the gym because I already have a place to put it and an alibi. Instead I told him he's a prick. Which when he started his annoying "there's no shame in being wrong sometimes. You can learn from this." And the worst thing is that he thinks he's right!

So everybody who lifts heavy but don't go to failure: you're not supposed to get tired! All those who squat 4 times a week and complain about fatigue you're doing something wrong.

For fucks sake, Paddy.

why not invite him to try your program or work out with you for a couple weeks. In most cases, especially when trying to refute bro science seeing is believing is the best was to convert the ignorant.

why not invite him to try your program or work out with you for a couple weeks. In most cases, especially when trying to refute bro science seeing is believing is the best was to convert the ignorant.

No can do. He has his stick too far up his arse that it would take the combined strength of Hulk and Thor to get it out.

He workouts only to gain size and muscle. To him strength is secondary, it's a byproduct. His view on the matter is that it doesn't matter how strong you are if you're not big AND that you can't get strong unless you're big. He also thinks that programs with strength as prime goal can't build muscle.

Anyway, normally I wouldn't have any problems with his views on things but he practically reminds me every freakin' time how I'm in the wrong. He just doesn't shut up and is constantly spewing his horse shite. I'm lucky that school starts again soon I can get ridd of him.

/rant

No can do. He has his stick too far up his arse that it would take the combined strength of Hulk and Thor to get it out.

He workouts only to gain size and muscle. To him strength is secondary, it's a byproduct. His view on the matter is that it doesn't matter how strong you are if you're not big AND that you can't get strong unless you're big. He also thinks that programs with strength as prime goal can't build muscle.

Anyway, normally I wouldn't have any problems with his views on things but he practically reminds me every freakin' time how I'm in the wrong. He just doesn't shut up and is constantly spewing his horse shite. I'm lucky that school starts again soon I can get ridd of him.

/rant

well that's a sad state of affairs. Funny, who the hell would consider strength secondary? That is a very strange concept to me. I'd rather be the "fat" guy that way out performs than the buff/cut guy that can't even open a jar of pickles.

Oh well, since strength is secondary you can always show the error of his ways by beating his ass in front of a bunch of hot women. I can't think of anything that would emasculate him more.

well that's a sad state of affairs. Funny, who the hell would consider strength secondary? That is a very strange concept to me. I'd rather be the "fat" guy that way out performs than the buff/cut guy that can't even open a jar of pickles.

Oh well, since strength is secondary you can always show the error of his ways by beating his ass in front of a bunch of hot women. I can't think of anything that would emasculate him more.

So working out so women like your body is a dumb idea? If you don't need to train for athletics, I fully understand why guys lift for looks over pure max strength. You can get decently strong compared to the average person on a bodybuilding style workout. Just probably not strong enough to compete in high level sport.

Wow, haven't seen the tub of protein bro yet. I seen one dude bring with him a Tupperware of food and eat it in the weight room.

Funny, who the hell would consider strength secondary? That is a very strange concept to me. I'd rather be the "fat" guy that way out performs than the buff/cut guy that can't even open a jar of pickles.

Bodybuilders.

Only problem with everybody dissing bodybuilders is that real pros or even ammy bodybuilders ARE stronger than most MMA fighters. They fail in comparison to power lifters as far as strength goes not martial artists, even obese martial artists with huge amounts of cardio training and a nice right cross still are not going to be as strong as that buff/cut guy @ the same weight/height, sorry bro not real. Generally speaking of course.

The real problem with comparing bodybuilders strength to that of a MMA fighter is that it's not MMA fighters job to lift weights.

So working out so women like your body is a dumb idea? If you don't need to train for athletics, I fully understand why guys lift for looks over pure max strength. You can get decently strong compared to the average person on a bodybuilding style workout. Just probably not strong enough to compete in high level sport.

I never said "dumb" in my post, way to project. Most bodybuilders I've met pride themselves on their strength as well as they physique. You know what, screw this, I'm not having a discussion with you. I've seen so many of your posts in other threads and usually ignored them. Truth is you just want to piss on people's cornflakes and no one gives a shit, and that bothers you. So please, don't talk to me, don't read my posts. Just go away, you have nothing of interest to offer me in way of conversation. In fact, I'll save you the temptation and just place you on ignore.

Most people.
If that is true, than it's a sad state of affairs. Then again, the way pop culture has gone with the reality "stars" I probably shouldn't be surprised.

Bodybuilders.
Most of which want strength as well as physique. I'm no shitting on the bodybuilders, I know that takes a lot of dedication. I was responding to the person that had the guy shitting on his program because he didn't feel making strength gains was of any importance. Most bodybuilders will make incremental increases in their work load, thereby increasing their strength. I've seen guys like the one he was talking about, repping the same weight load since they began, only occasionally changing types of curls and tricep extensions. They want to work out like that, fine, just don't start talking shit about people that are training for something different.

I work out at the YMCA, so there's a gym idiot or two every time I'm there. Yesterday was this guy who was doing curls in his taekwondo/karate outfit.

Most of which want strength as well as physique. I'm no shitting on the bodybuilders, I know that takes a lot of dedication. I was responding to the person that had the guy shitting on his program because he didn't feel making strength gains was of any importance. Most bodybuilders will make incremental increases in their work load, thereby increasing their strength. I've seen guys like the one he was talking about, repping the same weight load since they began, only occasionally changing types of curls and tricep extensions. They want to work out like that, fine, just don't start talking shit about people that are training for something different.

Yes... For the purpose of building muscle mass.

They recognize that lifting heavier weight generally leads to more muscle mass, and so they try to lift heavier weight.

But they don't lift heavier weight for the purpose of getting stronger; they do it to get more muscle mass.

And they also recognize that there are a number of different ways to build muscle mass- One of them is to bring that muscle to the brink of failure and force it to adapt to the sheer effort you're putting it through. This is what KidAlchemy's cousin seems to be referring to.

KidAlchemy's cousin is a douche-bag because he doesn't recognize that people may lift weights for different reasons, not because he said he works out only to build muscle mass and size. That's what bodybuilders do. If they could get gigantic without lifting weights, then they wouldn't lift weights.

... Sort of like you saying

actually.

And you have no idea whether KidAlchemy's cousin are like those people who spin their wheels at the gym. We don't know how big he is, but given that KidAlchemy moves respectable weights and his cousin doesn't seem to say anything about that, I'd wager his cousin is pretty strong and big himself.

The two just have very different training goals, and KidAlchemy's cousin seems like a douche-bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back