Guys with ripped Abs how many reps do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksky

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious how many you guys are grinding out per week. Ive been doing BJJ/MMA for 10 years, eat a strict paleo diet, generally tons of sit ups after grappling class all types and I have a complete flat stomach but no abs. So I talked with a guy that had a ripped 6 pack, and he said he does 2000 ab exercises per week? Is this bullshit or whats needed?

If your looking for increasing the size of your muscle i suggest you try a weight machine at the gym. To increase muscle size you need to do a high weight and low amount of reps. If that is not available i suggest you do many variations of ab exercises - the next best thing is to change up the body movement to keep your muscles guessing. Also keep in mind that you have 3 rows of abs so do a couple different exercises for each row.

6 pack...of beer.
after.jpg

It's probably bullshit. I'm not sure but I think a lot of having a six pack comes down to genetics. And starving yourself. I've been doing judo for about a year and though I have lost about 15 pounds and toned up other areas of my body my stomach has flattened but there is no six pack andf there probably never will be. I'm fine with it, I'd rahter have a strong core than a six pack but that's just me. Penn and teller did a bullshit episode where they talked about this sort of thing. I'll see if I can find it.

Second who the fuck does 2000 ab exercises per week? What else does this guy do with his free time? Plus most guys with six packs are huge dooshes anyway.

any programs out there, claiming to give a 6 pack in under 12 weeks?

Metro?

Why do you really want "ripped abs"? Will it improve your performance? Nope. So why are you asking this in a conditioning forum?

Before you say why did you even respond, I will give you an answer. Watch your diet like a hawk. Dehydrate yourself before you head your silly ass to "the club" with the other metros.

Metro?

Why do you really want "ripped abs"? Will it improve your performance? Nope. So why are you asking this in a conditioning forum?

Before you say why did you even respond, I will give you an answer. Watch your diet like a hawk. Dehydrate yourself before you head your silly ass to "the club" with the other metros.

I don't mean to pick on the TS, because god knows he's not the only one to start a thread like this, but in my estimation threads like this should be immediately locked and moved to the Wasteland.

It's completely off topic. Whether or not your abs show has nothing to do with how well conditioned a mixed martial artist you are. Additionally, there are plenty of good body building Web sites out there, including bodybuilding.com and t-nation.com.

Lock it, wasteland it, add a sticky that similar threads will receive the same fate.

simple as any other muscle group, to build muscle you need weights. doing 2000 situps a day wont do anything for you if you dont already have your "ripped abs" because there is nothing under the fat to expose

simple as any other muscle group, to build muscle you need weights. doing 2000 situps a day wont do anything for you if you dont already have your "ripped abs" because there is nothing under the fat to expose

I got a six pack from doing 5 x 5 Zercher squats and deadlifts, some ab wheel rollouts (3 or 4 sets of 10-12), and lots of heavybag work, so I say its bullshit.

Why to people click on threads just to cry?
How is AB conditioning off topic? and I would disagree, whether or not your abs show certainly has something to do with how well a person is conditioned as a lot of the top martial arts in MMA have "conditioned ABs". Additionally, I like the knowledgeable posters here and their opinions.

I was just curious as I work my ass off and do a lot of AB specific Martial Art training and do not have a six pack. In addition was just sharing what a person said was required in conditioning ABs in that regard.

As a side note the guy who has the "ripped ABs :]" is a beast on the mat and never gets tired.

no, the only way to have "ripped abs" is to have a low bf%, which is not necessarily an indication of conditioning. Shit, look at fedor or bj penn. None of those guys are ripped, but they're two of the best fighters on the planet. Chuck liddel's got a beer belly thing going on, but he'd destroy you. Diet is the main factor, plus a reasonable strength and conditoning routine.

And you'll find that most posters here don't really care about being ripped, but rather about their performances in their given sport, which is one of the reasons why you'd get raped if any of the s and p regulars saw this thread. I like to think of having a lower bf% as a result of conditoning as a perk, but not the main reason for why I exercise.

Having ripped abs has to do with the amount of bodyfat you have.

While certain exercise may increase the size/strength of your abs the only way to have them clearly visible is to have a low body fat percentage. The percentage number will very slightly from person to person.

As for 2000 ab exercises being needed its bullshit, there is no such thing as spot reduction, not naturally anyway. Ab and core exercises are an important part of conditioning but you seem to be assuming that the more ab work you do the more ripped you will become, it does not work that way.

Look at most bodybuilders during their mass training period, they are big and thick but not ripped. Once they start getting closer to a competition they will shed a lot of weight and a large percentage of that is bodyfat, only then do they have ripped abs.

Why to people click on threads just to cry?
How is AB conditioning off topic? and I would disagree, whether or not your abs show certainly has something to do with how well a person is conditioned as a lot of the top martial arts in MMA have "conditioned ABs". Additionally, I like the knowledgeable posters here and their opinions.

I was just curious as I work my ass off and do a lot of AB specific Martial Art training and do not have a six pack. In addition was just sharing what a person said was required in conditioning ABs in that regard.

As a side note the guy who has the "ripped ABs :]" is a beast on the mat and never gets tired.

You seem to not get it. It's the same as posting a thread titled "How to get cauliflower ears?" The "ripped abs" is a side effect to proper diet and training (mainly diet) as cauliflower ears is a side effect of constant grappling.

The guys on the mat with ripped abs are always conditioned? I'm not one to bash, but there is a man with ripped abs who fought last night on EliteXC that is known for lack of conditioning. I had to throw that out there.

HEAVY Squats, Deadlifts, and Standing Overhead Presses!!

Those tax your core harder than just about anything else and build muscle. They also have the benefit of making you strong as fuck if you put the work in on them. Than, it's just a matter of BF% If you're BF is low, and you don't have any definition, than you basically have no muscle and need to build some. That goes for any body part.

The visibility of your abs is based on your bodyfat %, definately.

What you should be focusing on, is losing bodyfat and making your abs thick and strong with PROPER ab training. Situps have their place, but if you can do 2000 youre either cheating with form or need to add something to make them harder.

I think the best lift for training the ab muscles is the overhead squat, this works the deeper stabilization muscles of the abs which are often neglected and will make you stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back