Gus is already have an excuse...

Well he believes in himself... I don't think it's a knock on Smith, he just doesn't see himself losing. And if he does he's that much further from being champ...

Though it might sound disrespectful to his opponent. I believe it’s more himself he’s talking about, and not meant to be disrespectful.

Imo, his mindset is already in retirement mode. Maybe he’ll surprise me, but my money is that he’ll be mailing it in. Showing up for a cheque.

I don't like Gustafson that much but I'm not all that triggered by this statement. Some might think his comment is all about skillset, but I see it differently. I think that he is saying that if he loses this fight, the game and the sport has passed him by. Not that Smith is some inferior fighter to lose to...but that he Gustafson himself is coming to the realization that he's just no longer in the mix, no longer able to compete at the highest level.

Holy shit, nice to see a white belt that's not an out and out troll, first of all.

Secondly, I agree that it's just an honest assessment of Gus' competitiveness with the upper tier of LHW any more. If he can't keep his perennial top 5 status, it's not worth the grind.

Nothing against Anthony Smith, but I see him as an eventual gate-keeper to top 5-10 match ups for guys like Johnny Walker, who I don't see Smith beating. He's got too many miles on his career but he can still beat some guys who aren't quite ready to step up.

If he loses to Smith! He said that if Smith beats him, then he doesn’t have it anymore. That’s the most disrespectful excuse I’ve ever heard. So basically he saying that if he loses then it’s just not in him anymore and not that his Foe is just better. Should the UFC cancel him out with this attitude or what? Why even fighting? What do you guys think of this low blow? I mean no matter how you word it, it sounds very disrespectful!
https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/12/...ith-beats-me-then-maybe-dont-have-anymore-mma

Well he did also give Smith lots of credit in the interview (the transcript in your link is only a part of the interview). I didnt interpret it as conncected to smith' s level of fighting at all and I don't think it's disrespectful if you put into the context of Alex career, his loss to Jones and being a family guy with 2 kids etc.. A loss now to anyone would be a sign that he doesn't have it anymore. He lost to Jones twice, three title shots, if he loses now to a top contender....then yes it's a clear sign he is done in the top and i can't see why Gus would keep fighting lower level opponents with no realistic path to a title shot.

If he loses to Smith! He said that if Smith beats him, then he doesn’t have it anymore. That’s the most disrespectful excuse I’ve ever heard. So basically he saying that if he loses then it’s just not in him anymore and not that his Foe is just better. Should the UFC cancel him out with this attitude or what? Why even fighting? What do you guys think of this low blow? I mean no matter how you word it, it sounds very disrespectful!
https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/12/...ith-beats-me-then-maybe-dont-have-anymore-mma
I'm also curious if smiths statement about not wanting to take the fight at all is more disrespectful?

So many people misunderstood this statement, he already clarified that he wasn't knocking Smith, and Smith even came out and acknowledged it too

He won't need an excuse cuz Gus is a much better fighter and should beat Smith handedly.

You've completely misinterpreted his comment.

And it's also been addressed by both fighters at the press conference and multiple interviews.

Just like Yoel... Poor guys just doing all the naturals
Well Yoel was found innocent in a court of law so it doesnt seem right to shade him

But

I wonder why Jon didnt sue and get millions from alleged supplement companies? Lol

Well Yoel was found innocent in a court of law so it doesnt seem right to shade him

But

I wonder why Jon didnt sue and get millions from alleged supplement companies? Lol
Yoel just has better lawyers

Gus wins but he should retire or move to HW. Jones isn't moving on from LHW in the next couple years, so there's not much Gus can do at LHW. He would make more money at HW as well.

What a pathetic effort to try to get people to hate Gus.

I don’t think Gus said it to disrespect Anthony but he could have phrased it better. I completely agree though, if Gus can’t beat Smith he is likely done as an elite LHW. If you see the statement as an excuse you must be smoking something.

Gus is like 5 years past his peak. Of course if he loses to Smith it's a huge tell that hes past it and done at the highest level.

I’m not interested in seeing him fight or talk...shit Main

Back