Gus is already have an excuse...

I don't know if you've ever been at the top of your game at something in your life but I have. There was a time when my company was number 1 in the world at what we did. For a time I believed that I was unstoppable, that I was a genius, that I was "special". What I came to eventually realize was that it wasn't sustainable, that it wouldn't last, and that eventually, I would lose interest in doing the things it took to stay at the top.

Gustafson might have never held a UFC title but he was/is an elite fighter. If he is feeling that this might be his swan song, so be it. I am sure he will give Smith the respect he deserves if it goes that way.

Good post, when doing well years ago I will never forget what a very successful buddy of mine said...Getting to the top is one thing, staying there is entirely different..hope it all worked out for you..

God damn this place sucks.
If he loses to Smith! He said that if Smith beats him, then he doesn’t have it anymore. That’s the most disrespectful excuse I’ve ever heard. So basically he saying that if he loses then it’s just not in him anymore and not that his Foe is just better. Should the UFC cancel him out with this attitude or what? Why even fighting? What do you guys think of this low blow? I mean no matter how you word it, it sounds very disrespectful!
https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/12/...ith-beats-me-then-maybe-dont-have-anymore-mma

Why even make these statements? Just go to another organization if you feel like you can't compete. Make some cash, and live. No need to be dramatic. Beyond that, there's nothing odd about the statement. Sink or swim. If you cant win winnable fights, what are you doing?

Last edited:
Why even make these statements? Just go to another organization if you feel like you can't compete. Make some cash, and live. No need to be dramatic.

He never said that he can’t compete. He said that IF he loses to Smith he might not have what it takes anymore. He responded to a question. Totally fair assessment.
I don’t question his hunger. I think he has reached a mental place where he feels less pressure and just wants to go in there and perform, and then taking more fights.

When Gus had that first fight with Jones I thought we may have a potential GOAT on our hands, then he lost to Rumble (which there is no shame in) and then came back to fight Cormier. And even though one could make a case that he won that fight as well, he showed mental weakness when he didn't adapt and pretty much gave away the last round. Since then he hasn't really had the drive to fight.

I still think he could beat anyone due to his extremely high skill set, but I also feel he could lose to anyone due to a lack of hunger to compete.

Its continues to be " kind of" a phenomenon how 2 different people (or more) read the same piece and the difference in opinions that everyone gets from it.
I believe Gus was just being brutally honest (nothing against Smith.... at all).I also think his last fight with Jones took alot out of him emotionally . After his first fight with Jones and his competitive fight with DC, I truly believe [for him] - it was just a matter of time before wresting gold around waist. Sometimes the best laid out plans just dont come to fruition. I think in the fashion that he lost to bones second time around STILL has him on the emotional mend. This could be a paramount spot for Smith to maybe pull off upset. Gus is still in his prime and certainly still one of the top 205ers. Again, I just think he was just being brutally honest which maybe wasnt a great decision.

This guy s only goal left is to be champion and I think hes doubting that could happen..... and this is the effect its having on him.

I don't know if you've ever been at the top of your game at something in your life but I have. There was a time when my company was number 1 in the world at what we did. For a time I believed that I was unstoppable, that I was a genius, that I was "special". What I came to eventually realize was that it wasn't sustainable, that it wouldn't last, and that eventually, I would lose interest in doing the things it took to stay at the top.

Gustafson might have never held a UFC title but he was/is an elite fighter. If he is feeling that this might be his swan song, so be it. I am sure he will give Smith the respect he deserves if it goes that way.
From a business point view though it’s very unprofessional because he is not enticing the fans by saying those remarks!

Its continues to be " kind of" a phenomenon how 2 different people (or more) read the same piece and the difference in opinions that everyone gets from it.
I believe Gus was just being brutally honest (nothing against Smith.... at all).I also think his last fight with Jones took alot out of him emotionally . After his first fight with Jones and his competitive fight with DC, I truly believe [for him] - it was just a matter of time before wresting gold around waist. Sometimes the best laid out plans just dont come to fruition. I think in the fashion that he lost to bones second time around STILL has him on the emotional mend. This could be a paramount spot for Smith to maybe pull off upset. Gus is still in his prime and certainly still one of the top 205ers. Again, I just think he was just being brutally honest which maybe wasnt a great decision.

This guy s only goal left is to be champion and I think hes doubting that could happen..... and this is the effect its having on him.
So if you’re fighting someone and he says if you beat me then I’m not motivated anymore, isn’t that extremely disrespectful and unprofessional? You will be like why is he even bothering fighting me with this attitude?

Well he believes in himself... I don't think it's a knock on Smith, he just doesn't see himself losing. And if he does he's that much further from being champ...
Well that kind of talk definitely doesn’t get us excited as fans!

So if you’re fighting someone and he says if you beat me then I’m not motivated anymore, isn’t that extremely disrespectful and unprofessional? You will be like why is he even bothering fighting me with this attitude?
Like I said, I'm not looking at it that way and fully explained why. He even went out of his way to complement Smith in one part of article.

Hey- that's just my opinion.....maybe I'm wrong....maybe not.

What a pathetic effort to try to get people to hate Gus.
You can’t go into a fight saying this to the fans, especially after all that talk how he will beat Jones and then kissing his but after getting embarrassed! I had so much respect for him until that point! All he has to do is keep his thoughts to after the fight!

Another man broken by the GOAT, JBJ.

I honestly cannot stand GSP and I know he is not clean but can’t prove it
Dude...we just became best friends. Your enemies are my enemies. Your friends are my enemies because they distract you from me. We will by a time share in the Catskills and name our children after each other.

I can see little True_Fan now, running around getting into trouble. Our wives will be close friends and complain about our absence because we will too busy taming strange puss and systematically expose gsp for the fraud that he is!!!

<[analyzed}>

Dude...we just became best friends. Your enemies are my enemies. Your friends are my enemies because they distract you from me. We will by a time share in the Catskills and name our children after each other.

I can see little True_Fan now, running around getting into trouble. Our wives will be close friends and complain about our absence because we will too busy taming strange puss and systematically expose gsp for the fraud that he is!!!

<[analyzed}>
<45>

Back