Guitarists Everyone Can Agree On

Uchi Mata

Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks
@Gold
Reaction score
In response to the 'worst guitarist' thread, who are some guitarists that essentially everyone thinks are talented and make good music? It's a pretty short list I think. I came up with:

- Jimi Hendrix
- David Gilmour
- Django Reinhardt
- Brian May
- Mark Knopfler
- Duane Allman
- Keith Richards
- Dick Dale

Does anyone really not like any of these guys? Who are other guitarists who basically 99.9% of people like?

This is gonna be another one of those hipster threads where you have to post a name nobody's every heard of or everyone will say you're stupid.

THE GOAT

1396216889763.gif

The stuff Bernard Butler made whilst he was with Suede is my favourite ever guitar work, hands down, no competition:

Varg Vikernes was a genius at layering guitars and creating hypnotic phrases:

This is gonna be another one of those hipster threads where you have to post a name nobody's every heard of or everyone will say you're stupid.

Ulfgerth Biasmcic.

Never heard of him? Well, that's because you don't know shit.

Chet Atkins

Tony Iommi

Roy Clark... yes the country bumpkin who can play anything with strings.

Chet Atkins is a good answer. Also, does anyone dislike Randy Rhoades? I've never met anyone who did.

I don't care for Duane Allman. Dick Dale is too niche though he's good at it.

SRV seems to be almost universally popular. Chet Atkins also universally popular. Tom Morello universally popular. Eric Johnson maybe? Who doesn't like Eric Johnson?

From the classical side, John Williams is universally popular.

Oh and Paco de Lucia.

In response to the 'worst guitarist' thread, who are some guitarists that essentially everyone thinks are talented and make good music? It's a pretty short list I think. I came up with:

- Jimi Hendrix
- David Gilmour
- Django Reinhardt
- Brian May
- Mark Knopfler
- Duane Allman
- Keith Richards
- Dick Dale

Does anyone really not like any of these guys? Who are other guitarists who basically 99.9% of people like?

You forgot to include me! :D

Seriously, can't argue with this list but will add
Paco de Lucia
Robert Fripp (even if you don't like what he does he's arguably among the most practiced, gifted players)

- Jimi Hendrix
- David Gilmour
- Django Reinhardt
- Brian May
- Mark Knopfler
- Duane Allman
- Keith Richards
- Dick Dale

99% of the people i know have no idea who Django is/was. so even though I always have him in my top 3, he probably doesn't belong on a list of guitarists everyone agrees on.

I think a guitarist everybody can agree on is somebody who both your average man on the street would admire and like listening to, as well as technical and knowledgeable guitarists. In other words, they play guitar in a way that has universal appeal, not just appeal for skilled guitarists.

That excludes guys like Fripp, for example, who probably has like six fans total who aren't themselves dedicated guitarists. Same with Petrucci, although he's somewhat more listenable for the general public.

But Django, you could put him as a film soundtrack and everybody would love it.

Chet Atkins

Tony Iommi

Roy Clark... yes the country bumpkin who can play anything with strings.

Roy Clark was excellent.

In the same vein I'll add Jerry Reed: that guy could play the hell out of a guitar. And block for a Bandit.

Back