Guitar Guys! - I need your advice on my next guitar.

Are_Ohbi

Aaron Rodgers Belt
Reaction score
I need some advice from, hopefully, experienced guitar guys.

A little bit of back ground: I've only been playing guitar for about a year and a half. I'm not great yet... honestly I wouldn't say I was good, but I am much improving. I know quit a few chords and transition pretty well between them. I still have trouble with B and F minor, but I'm working' on it. I have 4 songs I can play fairly well.. by my standards.

So at the moment I have a Takamine G260C-WR. For a "beginner guitar", I'm very impressed with it. But now that I'm improving my play and taking playing more serious, I want to upgrade.

I feel like I can take this two different routes. I can buy a moderately upgraded (see also: cheaper) guitar and play that till I get better and would like upgrading again. Or I can fork out a little more cash and get a much nicer guitar and use that for the long haul.

With that in mind, here are the two I think I've narrowed it down to:

Ibanez AEL30SE Acoustic/Electric. $450.00

AEL30SEVV.gif

Or

Takamine EG523CDX Jumbo Acoustic/Electric $850.00

_1265900717.jpg

I'm leaning toward the Takamine. Its pretty expensive for a 2nd guitar for a guy who can barely play, but I figure I wouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon with that one. The only catch is, I'm not too sure about the Jumbo style. That's when I tend to lean toward the Ibanez and it's cheaper price tag

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input...

Have you played either of the models?

Nope. And I know that's real key, but the two most reputable guitar dealers in the city have neither of those models. The best I have done is watch every single video I can on the models and read as many reviews as possible.

i was thinking about getting a new acoustic soon. i have an old epiphone 12 string (from when they were independent) but the bridge and neck are all f'd up. i'm thinking about getting another epiphone.

i wouldn't buy anything that you haven't tried out yet. you might not like the feel or the tone.

Nope. And I know that's real key, but the two most reputable guitar dealers in the city have neither of those models. The best I have done is watch every single video I can on the models and read as many reviews as possible.

I don't play guitar anymore, but when I did, I simply could not fathom purchasing an instrument that I have played. And not just the same model: that exact instrument.

Go to a guitar store (or better yet, several, if possible) and play as many guitars you can. Generally stick to your budget, playing models at the cheap end and the top of your budget, but don't be afraid to play some above your budget, just for comparisons sake.

You may end up liking everything about the guitar, but the neck thickness/profile makes your hand cramp up, or the fretboard radius (how round it is) isn't comfortable, or you may not like the overall shape (too large/small for your body) in which case it's not a good guitar for you. Granted, most online shops have a decent return policy, but they generally don't give you a long time to try it out, and some may have you pay the return shipping.

Is there any particular reason for going for the acoustic/electric models as opposed to the plain acoustic?

Skip the guitar and get a flute. Nothing says man like a manly Jazz Flute.

An expensive guitar isn't going to make you play any better. You already have a nicer acoustic than I've ever had and I've been playing 15 years.

But if you want a nicer guitar just so you can have a nicer guitar, then go with the Takamine.

Is there any particular reason for going for the acoustic/electric models as opposed to the plain acoustic?

I've been toying with just getting another acoustic, but I think I'd rather go with the acoustic electric for a few reasons.

My Uncle-in-law has a really nice acoustic electric and I've played with him a few times. He teaches me a few things here n there. I really like his guitar and was enamored with the built-in tuner. Also, if I'm buying a guitar for the long haul, I,d rather have the electric option if I need/want it. I don't have to buy another guitar of I want to plug in. Plus, I already have an acoustic and this way I can open up my options.

A nicer guitar won't help me play better, but it certainly will sound better.... which, in a way, could help me play better.

I don't play guitar anymore, but when I did, I simply could not fathom purchasing an instrument that I have played. And not just the same model: that exact instrument.

I agree with this. I've been playing for 13 years, and I would never purchase a guitar I didn't sit down with and play for a while. For acoustics, you have to see if they have good tone, make sure the action is set right for you, do you like the shape, do you want jumbo, dreadnaught ect, and if its acoustic/electric see how it sounds through different amps etc.

Having said that, Takamine is a good brand, it was what I started out on. I still have the guitar. Only good Ibanez I've ever played was a bass; don't care for the acoustics.

Depending what your price range is, I would stick with Takamine unless you can afford a Taylor, Martin, Rainsong, or Gibson. Epiphones aren't bad and are decently priced.

If you've been playing a year, you're versed enough to know the difference between a good and bad guitar. Holding, strumming and hearing an acoustic guitar is a huge deal. They are all radically different.

Based on your choices, the more expensive the better typically but you really need to go to a guitar store and find out for yourself.

One problem with acoustics is they get really pricey and really good. I made the mistake of strumming a 2,500k Taylor at a guitar store and I can't stand touching my $500 Takamine now. Don't even bother. Stay within your price range.

I agree with this. I've been playing for 13 years, and I would never purchase a guitar I didn't sit down with and play for a while. For acoustics, you have to see if they have good tone, make sure the action is set right for you, do you like the shape, do you want jumbo, dreadnaught ect, and if its acoustic/electric see how it sounds through different amps etc.

Having said that, Takamine is a good brand, it was what I started out on. I still have the guitar. Only good Ibanez I've ever played was a bass; don't care for the acoustics.

Depending what your price range is, I would stick with Takamine unless you can afford a Taylor, Martin, Rainsong, or Gibson. Epiphones aren't bad and are decently priced.

I should've edited my post, but you definitely got my meaning. If I haven't played it, I'm not buying it. Most guitars that I would fantasize over would turn out to be either nothing special, merely good, or just plain bad when I actually played them, and often this variation did not correlate with price range. My first guitar was a squire stagemaster. I could have afforded a Fender American Strat, but I simply didn't like it.

Guitars are also very much more personal instruments than my current instrument(the piano). As a pianist, you just get used to playing all kinds of different pianos because you can't travel with them. You just have to "make it work," and often that means just "living with it." With a violin, or a guitar, you can take it literally anywhere. It should fit you like a glove.

get an electric guitar, so much more versatile when recording shit, get a 52' reissue telecaster , or an ashbody strat , they are loud without an amp too and are capable of sounding like Tanpuras and sitars. but thats just my liking, its so personal you have to find it yourself, no one can tell you

If you now kow you enjoy guitar enough to keep playing for a lifetime -I would skip those lower end guitars and go with a guitar with a tone so sweet you'll look forward to playing it everytime.

maybe a Taylor 3 series at the bottom of the high end or step up to a Larrivee.

If you now know you enjoy guitar enough to keep playing for a lifetime -I would skip those lower end guitars and go with a guitar with a tone so sweet you'll look forward to playing it everytime.

maybe a Taylor 3 series at the bottom of the high end or step up to a Larrivee.

The only answer.

You should visit your local dealers and actually play the guitars they have in stock, as many as you can. The one that feels and sounds the best to you may not be pricey at all. Getting an instrument that you enjoy playing is the most important thing.

Back