Guess I'm not a hardcore fan anymore

So I'm listening to the MMA hour and they mention a fight coming up this Saturday (6/7). I had no idea and that bums me out. This last Saturday I was camping and missed the two cards and didn't feel bad about it. Back a few years ago if my wife planned something on a fight night we would get onto arguments... Now... Oh well.. There will be another sub par card on the next weekend. Now.. It's free mma and that's good..but I also like to watch football. Does that mean I watch any football? No.. I watch the NFL because I enjoy watching the best and honestly don't have time for the rest. Same as in MMA.. I would like watch any MMA card, but I have a life. Me and my buddies used to always get together and watch every ppv... Now.. Only a select few. The UFC is way over saturated and they need to slow down. There is other free mma out there, and unless there is a ppv that is worth 60 bucks, I'll stick with the free bellator, wsof, axs fights etc. I know this topics been done to death... But I needed to vent. Peace!

I'm right there with you man...I used to get goose bumps when I knew I was going to get to watch a UFC.. The first one I remember watching live was Liddell vs Sobral 2. Nowadays I look forward to watching them but I don't get mad if I'm unable to. I watch what I can.. I've been watching MMA for close to a decade. My buddies watch MMA(UFC only) and they look to me for analysis. Compared to most sherdoggers I'm a rookie. Regardless of what a lot of sherdog will say that doesn't make you/me anymore less of a fan.

guess what TS? you're still more hardcore than a majority of fight fans out there.

you're just not into it as much as you used to be, which isn't surprising at all when it comes to hobbies/interests like this.

Fuck quantity MMA, I want quality MMA.

You are right.....and that's even more stupid.

But I'd still bet anything he doesn't watch all 250+ NFL games every season.

Who does......

I personally can't miss a card but there's nothing wrong with not wanting to see them all.

I just don't understand the need to complain about it. The ufc is building new markets, a lot of those cards they don't count on everyone to watch because it's purely local development.

More fights is more opportunities for fighters to shine. You debut on a fight pass card but have a performance so amazing you're bumped to fs1, then you amaze again and get that ppv money and sherdog is talking about you. All from that fp card people complained about to begin with.

I love football too but I don't watch more then 2 games a week during the season, otherwise when I go to bed I still hear the commentary even though the tv off.

i think you're into it way more than the average viewer, though.

So I'm listening to the MMA hour and they mention a fight coming up this Saturday (6/7). I had no idea and that bums me out. This last Saturday I was camping and missed the two cards and didn't feel bad about it. Back a few years ago if my wife planned something on a fight night we would get onto arguments... Now... Oh well.. There will be another sub par card on the next weekend. Now.. It's free mma and that's good..but I also like to watch football. Does that mean I watch any football? No.. I watch the NFL because I enjoy watching the best and honestly don't have time for the rest. Same as in MMA.. I would like watch any MMA card, but I have a life. Me and my buddies used to always get together and watch every ppv... Now.. Only a select few. The UFC is way over saturated and they need to slow down. There is other free mma out there, and unless there is a ppv that is worth 60 bucks, I'll stick with the free bellator, wsof, axs fights etc. I know this topics been done to death... But I needed to vent. Peace!

When I watch the events, those prelims take too long. I wish they made it shorter so I could have a life lol. I mean 4 hours or longer? too long. They should do what boxing did, like monday night fights. Just to process the new breeds. And the weekends could have fights as well but how many people would go to watch them? Its not boxing yet. But I do believe, UFC could use people like Matt Brown, Jim Miller, and others who may struggle in the top 10 but be the main fight for great monday night fights. However, I guess people feel they get their money worth out of it if it last 4 hours.

I use to have to watch everyone as well. But, as I got older, I just didn't have time. Its almost better to read about it. I watched mma fights without the volume, online, you realize how much hype there is surrounding fights.

What your going on with you?

IMO, Its called getting older. Thats what it really is. What happens, is young people care about young people things. Like dramatizing fighters; caring about superficial things, basically all the things that require drama that isn't really needed. Young people care about the ego, taking sides,putting others down, and son on. Just creating friction. I saw a video of me at age 20, I was kind of embarrassed lol. However,That stuff can make MMA funner because it makes everything matter and that much more motivation to want to see who wins vs loses. As you get older, you realize, it just comes down to the fight itself. The rest is nonsense. Thats why people like Fedor and Randy couture and others alike, last so long in the fight game....because mentally, they are mature enough to know thats all that matters, is the fight itself. So if they win or lose, they look the same, and feel the same. Mentally, they are as strong as they can be. ...but, they are not as fun as say Chael or others who create drama and feed those emotional highs. Chael vs Silva II....that was such a hyped fight....so hyped. It was like watching tyson fight.

MMA is male soap opera. However, as you get older, you out grow all that crying you did in the earlier years....but you can always relate to the drama but its not as intense anymore because you know what its all about.

There are still the brave few of us hardcores who battled through, the 20 hours of fights this Saturday.

I still get hyped for it, the free shows they got coming up this weekend and then Stephens/Swanson are insane.

If you can't get amped for those then you just lost love for the sport really.

There are still the brave few of us hardcores who battled through, the 20 hours of fights this Saturday.

I still get hyped for it, the free shows they got coming up this weekend and then Stephens/Swanson are insane.

If you can't get amped for those then you just lost love for the sport really.

looking forward to this weekend's card much more than swanson/stephens.

think those 2 cards represent the different levels of hardcore fan.

I'm right there with you man...I used to get goose bumps when I knew I was going to get to watch a UFC.. The first one I remember watching live was Liddell vs Sobral 2. Nowadays I look forward to watching them but I don't get mad if I'm unable to. I watch what I can.. I've been watching MMA for close to a decade. My buddies watch MMA(UFC only) and they look to me for analysis. Compared to most sherdoggers I'm a rookie. Regardless of what a lot of sherdog will say that doesn't make you/me anymore less of a fan.

I think 100% of Sherdog members can be considered "fans". The degrees vary greatly, though. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but this forum tends to prey on the weak.

Personally, I've been watching UFC since '93, and was into martial arts before "it" all "began". There's been peaks and valleys in my interest throughout these last 20+ years. Peaks included the first handful of tournaments and I vividly recall my interest rekindling during the USA vs. Canada event (2006). My interest has been in full gear since then, but it's reached a new high as of late.

I don't watch every single event, that would be virtually impossible. I definitely enjoy "big" fights, but I can always appreciate watching new talent rise up through the ranks.

I truly believe that many of those who started watching around the original TUF era cannot have the same type of appreciation for the sport as a whole, as those who watched it from its infant stages.

The problem is that no one wants to be called a "TUF Noob", and this site hosts some of the best smack-talkers in the business!

In closing...

We're all fans, but your level of fanaticism will determine just how often, and how brutally you are punked on this forum.

Nope I guess your not. There isn't anything wrong with that, and I don't get why fans like to pretend there is. You don't have to be one to enjoy MMA, just like you admit you aren't a hardcore NFL fan but you still enjoy that.
I always wondered what's so great about being a hardcore fan of anything. It doesn't convey any sort of moral, ethical, spiritual, mental, or physical superiority. I've long admitted I'm a casual MMA fan. Okay, maybe a bit more than casual seeing as how I post here, but far from hardcore.

Why is the UFC saturated? you love fights they give you fights.

Good or bad matchups the fight is still there watch it if you want, or not they dont care.

You can't have a life or watch any other sports if you want to be a hardcore mma fan now imo. Too many cards, too many new names to keep track of. Shitty cards don't help either.

Nope I guess your not. There isn't anything wrong with that, and I don't get why fans like to pretend there is. You don't have to be one to enjoy MMA, just like you admit you aren't a hardcore NFL fan but you still enjoy that.

This!!

You can't have a life or watch any other sports if you want to be a hardcore mma fan now imo. Too many cards, too many new names to keep track of. Shitty cards don't help either.

I still watch alot of other Sports including MMA.

That's what PVR is for!! :p

Why is the UFC saturated? you love fights they give you fights.

Good or bad matchups the fight is still there watch it if you want, or not they dont care.

Oh they care... When ppv buys are only breaking 300k... They care. And my point was there are so many cards out there (like the last two Saturday) that aren't that great and it takes away promotion and hype from this Saturdays card.

I always wondered what's so great about being a hardcore fan of anything. It doesn't convey any sort of moral, ethical, spiritual, mental, or physical superiority. I've long admitted I'm a casual MMA fan. Okay, maybe a bit more than casual seeing as how I post here, but far from hardcore.

I think it stems from an era where MMA was not mainstream....fans clamored to watch every event, and could because they only came once a month. The few of us watching knew how special MMA was. Now that it's mainstream and these fans no longer feel special for watching, and have turned to blaming the product/fighters/owners/media because they are no longer part of that special club of MMA fans.

I still watch all the major events that I can, the difference now is that it's everywhere...Walmart had mma brands, all the regular outlets for sports news feature it as well. We are no longer "renegades" for following this once underground sport.

I continue to watch and work along side the industry. As a trainer, I use lots if mma style conditioning and Muay Thai with my clients to keep it fresh and different than the typical fitness gyms

All that said, I still haven't seen TJ vs Barao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back