GSP vs Nick Diaz: Who takes the stand up?

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Who wins on the feet?

Who has the better boxing?

Who wins the match?

From a technical standpoint, I give it to GSP. Diaz's unlimited gas tank and granite chin makes this a bit more even. I give the edge to GSP taking a decision victory but the chance of a Diaz stoppage is there.

Regardless, we are never going to learn this. Why would GSP fight Diaz in the area where they are near even when he can bring the fight to the ground and use the skillset he's superior to Diaz in?

GSP.
I love Diaz's volume brawling style, but he's gonna face a sharper, more calculated and well rounded striker in GSP. It is gonna be Nate Diaz vs Bendo all over again, this time GSP going to established clearly his dominance with his mix of striking and takedown. Unless of course he got Diaz inside his head so much that he brawl with Diaz............in that case then we will have a new Welterweight champion and good bye to the superfight. The only chances i see Diaz win the fight in the stand up is able to stuff the takedowns, using footworks to cut the cage and really coming aggressively (even more aggressive than usual) to overwhelm GSP. It is another story on the ground though.

GSP is more technical but Diaz has an incredible volume in standup

I think GSP is going to stick and move with the jab. It will look like GSP V Koshceck, unless Diaz can close the distance and get some shots in. GSP covers a lot of distance with that jab, and Diaz has no headmovement, as we saw against Penn. Penn was out boxing Diaz from a boxing standpoint, until he stopped outboxing him, and started to eat combo after comob. But Penn doesnt really stick and move like GSP will. It will be a matter of if Diaz can close the gap.

GSP's jab is going to negate Diaz' reach advantage. GSP doesnt really box other than throw a jab. He stays really narrow and launches it out. Very technical wih it

I give it to GSP. A wider variety of technique and strategy will let him walk away with it standing. We won't even get into the ground game.

I think GSP is going to stick and move with teh jab. It will look like GSP V Koshceck, unless Diaz can close the distance and get some shots in. GSP covers a lot of distance with that jab, and Diaz has no headmovement, as we saw against Penn. Penn was out boxing Diaz from a boxing standpoint, until he stopped outboxing him, and started to eat combo after comob. But Penn doesnt really stick and move like GSP will. It will be a matter of if Diaz can close the gap.

GSP's jab is going to negate Diaz' reach advantage. GSP doesnt really box other than throw a jab. He stays really narrow and launches it out. Very technical wih it

Fixed it for you.

I actually think you'll see a lot of leg kicks from GSP. And a couple of back kicks. But you'll see a helluva lot more takedowns. Once again, why in the world would GSP stay on his feet?

The minute Diaz starts nailing gsp (if he even catches him) hes gonna take him down

But his jitz is dangerous too so you never know...

Anyways I only hope for an epic fight here, waited over a year for this

And do you think Nick will learn anything about the Benson fight?? Its clear what gsp will do but it would be almost retarded if Nick doesnt learn SOMETHING from that fight

Georges by being smarter, I dont believe for a second that gsp is gonna play into nicks game like all those strikeforce fighters did. Georges is gonna have an answer for everything.

Diaz is great if you stand in front of him, BUT he has poor footwork and isn't great at closing the distance. People seem to think he is some unbeatable boxer, when in actuality you can out box him without too any problems.

Credit to him though, toe to toe he's an absolute monster.

GSP sticks and moves for 4 mins and then takes him down to secure the round.

Rinse and repeat for the 50-45

gsp is the smarter striker so he would take it, but gsp is also the smarter fighter and more well rounded so he can keep the fight wherever he wants

And do you think Nick will learn anything about the Benson fight?? Its clear what gsp will do but it would be almost retarded if Nick doesnt learn SOMETHING from that fight

I would say no. Nick has learned absolutely nothing from that fight. I espect him to do the exact same thing his brother tried to do... homie

GSP would dominate him in a boxing match, but Diaz poses a few problems in an mma fight. GSP destroys Diaz with wrestling and his top game, so there's no need to stay on the feet with him.

I would say no. Nick has learned absolutely nothing from that fight. I espect him to do the exact same thing his brother tried to do... homie

Who knows, maybe he comes out with Tdd and checking kicks lol... Man 1 year ago I thought he really had a chance but now....

This is really going to be an interesting fight to watch.

Diaz being a good boxer would be a good test for GSP being a very technical well rounded fighter. But with GSP being one of the smartest fighters in the business, I'm sure Diaz would have a hard time executing his game plan.

lol at "good boxer".

If their were no takedowns diaz would work gsp no doubt about it. GSP dosen't have the power to make Diaz think twice. Diaz's pressure I think would be to much for gsp to deal with. But since this isnt a kickboxing match it's mma gsp takes it pretty easy

I think if it stayed on the feet it would look alot like Cerrone vs Diaz

Back