GSP vs Nick Diaz: Who takes the stand up?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Bay Area, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

Who wins on the feet?

Who has the better boxing?

Who wins the match?

2. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

From a technical standpoint, I give it to GSP. Diaz's unlimited gas tank and granite chin makes this a bit more even. I give the edge to GSP taking a decision victory but the chance of a Diaz stoppage is there.

Regardless, we are never going to learn this. Why would GSP fight Diaz in the area where they are near even when he can bring the fight to the ground and use the skillset he's superior to Diaz in?

3. Nuclearlandmine

Nuclearlandmine Shreddin' Double Yellow Card

GSP.
    I love Diaz's volume brawling style, but he's gonna face a sharper, more calculated and well rounded striker in GSP. It is gonna be Nate Diaz vs Bendo all over again, this time GSP going to established clearly his dominance with his mix of striking and takedown. Unless of course he got Diaz inside his head so much that he brawl with Diaz............in that case then we will have a new Welterweight champion and good bye to the superfight. The only chances i see Diaz win the fight in the stand up is able to stuff the takedowns, using footworks to cut the cage and really coming aggressively (even more aggressive than usual) to overwhelm GSP. It is another story on the ground though.

4. MTFFC

MTFFC Blue Belt

GSP is more technical but Diaz has an incredible volume in standup

5. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

I think GSP is going to stick and move with the jab. It will look like GSP V Koshceck, unless Diaz can close the distance and get some shots in. GSP covers a lot of distance with that jab, and Diaz has no headmovement, as we saw against Penn. Penn was out boxing Diaz from a boxing standpoint, until he stopped outboxing him, and started to eat combo after comob. But Penn doesnt really stick and move like GSP will. It will be a matter of if Diaz can close the gap.

GSP's jab is going to negate Diaz' reach advantage. GSP doesnt really box other than throw a jab. He stays really narrow and launches it out. Very technical wih it

6. The Polish Pounder

The Polish Pounder Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

I give it to GSP. A wider variety of technique and strategy will let him walk away with it standing. We won't even get into the ground game.

7. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

Fixed it for you.

I actually think you'll see a lot of leg kicks from GSP. And a couple of back kicks. But you'll see a helluva lot more takedowns. Once again, why in the world would GSP stay on his feet?

8. sourdiesel209

sourdiesel209 Green Belt

The minute Diaz starts nailing gsp (if he even catches him) hes gonna take him down

But his jitz is dangerous too so you never know...

Anyways I only hope for an epic fight here, waited over a year for this

And do you think Nick will learn anything about the Benson fight?? Its clear what gsp will do but it would be almost retarded if Nick doesnt learn SOMETHING from that fight

9. Taco Loco

Taco Loco 12:97:24:99

Georges by being smarter, I dont believe for a second that gsp is gonna play into nicks game like all those strikeforce fighters did. Georges is gonna have an answer for everything.

10. SpikeSpiegel71

SpikeSpiegel71 White Belt

Diaz is great if you stand in front of him, BUT he has poor footwork and isn't great at closing the distance. People seem to think he is some unbeatable boxer, when in actuality you can out box him without too any problems.

Credit to him though, toe to toe he's an absolute monster.

11. eXtv

eXtv Red Belt

GSP sticks and moves for 4 mins and then takes him down to secure the round.

Rinse and repeat for the 50-45

12. Georges

13. wigglestick

wigglestick pess de gward Platinum Member

gsp is the smarter striker so he would take it, but gsp is also the smarter fighter and more well rounded so he can keep the fight wherever he wants

14. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

I guess my Sherdog spell check is not working

15. Bay Area

Bay Area Silver Belt

I would say no. Nick has learned absolutely nothing from that fight. I espect him to do the exact same thing his brother tried to do... homie

16. sub_thug

sub_thug Silver Belt

GSP would dominate him in a boxing match, but Diaz poses a few problems in an mma fight. GSP destroys Diaz with wrestling and his top game, so there's no need to stay on the feet with him.

17. sourdiesel209

sourdiesel209 Green Belt

Who knows, maybe he comes out with Tdd and checking kicks lol... Man 1 year ago I thought he really had a chance but now....

18. ectonomore

ectonomore White Belt

This is really going to be an interesting fight to watch.

Diaz being a good boxer would be a good test for GSP being a very technical well rounded fighter. But with GSP being one of the smartest fighters in the business, I'm sure Diaz would have a hard time executing his game plan.

19. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

lol at "good boxer".

20. airman20012001

airman20012001 Green Belt

If their were no takedowns diaz would work gsp no doubt about it. GSP dosen't have the power to make Diaz think twice. Diaz's pressure I think would be to much for gsp to deal with. But since this isnt a kickboxing match it's mma gsp takes it pretty easy

I think if it stayed on the feet it would look alot like Cerrone vs Diaz