GSP vs Lawler

GSP is a top 5 fighter all time, probably top 3, idk if i personally would put him at number 1, but he is an all time great fighter. His fans have taken the liberty to say that he is perfect at everything, has no faults and never, ever looked weak, and that's just untrue. He had a stretch of fights where he looked unstoppable, two of the wins were against Dan hardy, who got a shot because he was english and marketable, don't front to me like he didn't, and Koscheck, who beat Daley but had been knocked out within a year of that win. Fitch and Alves are great wins, but from the shields fight onwards, he looked ineffective on the feet, and that's if you want to use neutral language.

GSP was propped up as perfect because he took down great wrestlers in Fitch, Koscheck and Hughes, and that's great for him, proud of him, etc, but to pretend like he is perfect at everything is textbook overrating your guy. You can be an all time great level fighter and be overrated, great fighter is what you can control, you can't control how people rate you.
Noone claming GSP is perfect at everything, you came up with that wild speculation out your ass somewhere. What GSP is perfect at is blending all the arts in mixmartialarts together. GSP is the embodiment of what a mix martial artists is. For someone to call GSP overated they A must be an idiot or b just started following MMA in 2015.

he didn't beat up condit. i can beat up condit like that his skin is made of paper. he just held him down and almost got KO'd. but holding him down is all that is needed to make condit bleed profusely. he didn't beat up diaz either.

he did hold the shit out of them for 5 rounds though. that cannot be taken away from him.
Held them down, did he? He out-struck both of them on the feet also, and when GSP "holds" them down, he's also slamming elbows and punches into their faces.

Stop drinking the Diaz Kool-Aid. It's MMA, and taking someone down and either working for a sub, or GnPing them is part of it.

But go and time how long GSP stood with Diaz....it was probably at least 1/2 the fight, and Diaz didn't do shit. GSP won the stand up also. Same with Condit.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fighter-details/6506c1d34da9c013

Held them down, did he? He out-struck both of them on the feet also, and when GSP "holds" them down, he's also slamming elbows and punches into their faces.

Stop drinking the Diaz Kool-Aid. It's MMA, and taking someone down and either working for a sub, or GnPing them is part of it.

But go and time how long GSP stood with Diaz....it was probably at least 1/2 the fight, and Diaz didn't do shit. GSP won the stand up also. Same with Condit.

i'd like to see you have energy to do anything after being put to sleep from boredom and frustration after GSP holds you down. i remember when condit was exhausted and lowered his hands with his back to the cage and would have been KO'd by any other fighter but GSP went for a takedown lmao

What would happen in this fight?

Could GSP handle Lawler's power?

Could Lawler handle GSP overall?

Since GSP's return from knee surgery ... his takedowns no longer had that explosiveness he had before.
Add his lack of fighting
His now advancing age
USADA which prevents these fighters from being at their best at those advanced ages.

Lawler easily KO's GSP within 3 rounds.

GSP ... had trouble taking Diaz down.

Diaz .....

An even older GSP out of retirement with stricker drug testing is not going to be taking Lawler down nor outstriking him.

i'd like to see you have energy to do anything after being put to sleep from boredom and frustration after GSP holds you down. i remember when condit was exhausted and lowered his hands with his back to the cage and would have been KO'd by any other fighter but GSP went for a takedown lmao
So GSP fought a guy who is known for tremendous Cardio, wore him down, out-struck him, and had him at a point where he was almost finished.....and you are using this as a bad thing towards GSP?

You GSP haters are funny...

So GSP fought a guy who is known for tremendous Cardio, wore him down, out-struck him, and had him at a point where he was almost finished.....and you are using this as a bad thing towards GSP?

You GSP haters are funny...

he didn't out strike him. look i'm not a point fighting fan like GSP fans. to them if he poked diaz with one finger on the shoulder for 5 rounds while eating real punches in response, they'd still consider that 'outstriking'

he didn't out strike him. look i'm not a point fighting fan like GSP fans. to them if he poked diaz with one finger on the shoulder for 5 rounds while eating real punches in response, they'd still consider that 'outstriking'
He did out-strike Condit.

Hell, 30 seconds after Condit landed his only meaningful strike of the fight, GSP had turned the tide and had landed a good combination on him against the fence before putting him on his ass....

Rewatch the fight.

GSP decision but Lawler's takedown defense is better than many GSP opponents. The GSP who fought Hendricks vs the Lawler who beat Rory the second time would be interesting.

Why do people always leave out WHICH version of Hendricks we are talking about ?

The GSP that beat Hendricks by split 48 - 47 mauls the Hendricks we see since the USADA came onto the scene.

Why did Johny refuse to be tested to the same level GSP submitted to and passed ? No accusations... just legit observations.

Come on now.

Noone claming GSP is perfect at everything, you came up with that wild speculation out your ass somewhere. What GSP is perfect at is blending all the arts in mixmartialarts together. GSP is the embodiment of what a mix martial artists is. For someone to call GSP overated they A must be an idiot or b just started following MMA in 2015.

no he is not the embodiment of what a mixed martial artist is. he is the embodiment of what you think a mixed martial artist is. mixed martial artists dont train submissions, hooks, head kicks etc to decision people.

GSP should be a -115 betting favourite. Lawler +100. Lawler is very loveable but he squeaked by Rory twice (mind you a classic 5th round down on the cards win in fight 2) Hendricks and Condit. He beat Hendricks and Condit by questionable judging and an amazing 5th round. He's quite beatable and getting older with more wear and tear after each battle. I would bet my money on GPS but would not be surprised if Lawler wins close decision if GSP is tentative or an early TKO.

Some gifs of GSP outstriking Condit...
ufc154-gsp-condit-rd2-1sthighlightb4takedown-halved-400-sg.gif
condit-flying-knee-gone-wrong_zpsab87c2ba_medium.gif
gsp6.gif
Fw0aV.gif
ufc154-gsp-condit-rd1-3rdhighlight-elbow-2views-halved-400-sg.gif

I mean, look, GSP has been out for a long time, so who knows... but assuming he resembles the GSP we're accustomed to? He wins at least 4 rounds.

Post ACL surgery out of Prime GSP loses to Lawler in what is almost exclusively a striking match.

I say this as one of GSP's biggest fans on this site.

One of GSP's biggest weapons, his transition game, has been lost due to surgery. He no longer can switch between standup and takedown on a blink to keep his opponent off balance. thus you see him striking more in his last few fights (Condit, Diaz, Hendricks) and getting hit way more (from one of least hit prior to surgeries to one of most hit post) then at any time prior.

Lawler would survive to the late rounds and then start stuffing TD's as Diaz did, and then would likely finish GSP, or at least badly bust him up.

GSP is a top 5 fighter all time, probably top 3, idk if i personally would put him at number 1, but he is an all time great fighter. His fans have taken the liberty to say that he is perfect at everything, has no faults and never, ever looked weak, and that's just untrue. He had a stretch of fights where he looked unstoppable, two of the wins were against Dan hardy, who got a shot because he was english and marketable, don't front to me like he didn't, and Koscheck, who beat Daley but had been knocked out within a year of that win. Fitch and Alves are great wins, but from the shields fight onwards, he looked ineffective on the feet, and that's if you want to use neutral language.

GSP was propped up as perfect because he took down great wrestlers in Fitch, Koscheck and Hughes, and that's great for him, proud of him, etc, but to pretend like he is perfect at everything is textbook overrating your guy. You can be an all time great level fighter and be overrated, great fighter is what you can control, you can't control how people rate you.
And GSP beat Shields Diaz prime Hendricks and prime Condit. Don't forget those key wins.

I don't see how being a top three all time fighter (your opinion) can be overrated because he isn't perfect? It's like saying Wayne Gretzky was overrated as a hockey player because his game didn't have much of a physical element. From 2007 - 2011, Georges St. Pierre literally never lost a round. He faced Dan Hardy, because there was no one left for him to face. Literally, he came as close to cleaning out the division as you could. It is the same reason Patrick Cote got a title shot against Anderson. Everyone in this sport, as some point or another has looked "weak". If I am to use your logic, then every fighter is overrated.

GSP was not perfect, he wasn't. He got armbarred by Hughes, he lost to Serra, and he was hurt badly against both Penn and Hendricks. But he was the most dominant welterweight in the sport's history, with perhaps the most impressive resume ever. Facts. He avenged both his losses. He retired as Champ (only fighter ever). He showed tremendous heart in the fight's with Penn and Hendricks (something the haters will never give him credit for). The fact that an argument like yours is even made, combined with the numerous weekly threads bashing an athlete who showed nothing but class and gratitude throughout arguably the greatest career an MMA fighter has accumulated to this date suggest that if anything, he is under appreciated in 2016.

In ANY other sport, GSP would be a beloved figure. There would be songs written about this guy, both because of his career and the way he carried himself. MMA attracts a very different crown unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back