GSP on S&C

TheeFaulted

Inzer Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Has anyone in S&C seen this article with GSP on strength and conditioning. I find it strange that GSP says he only lifts weights "to make me more marketable, to make my shape more symmetric. I don

I surprised that he admitted to lifting only for aesthetics. I'm sure it seems like a waste of time for him to get stronger tho. When has he been out muscled? If you are already the strongest guy at your weight, why not work on other things.

Also GSP has a bit of history of speaking out his ass about his training. I mean it wasnt long ago that all the berardi interviews were out saying he was bulking up.

I know for a fact that he does it. I used to be friends with a guy who went up and helped GSP's trainer with some ideas.

He said GSP wasn't super strong, but had amazing body control and explosion.

It's part of his gameplan;the trickster
just like showing him practicing an immense amount of Muay Thai during the countdown shows and then during the fight going for takedowns like there was no tommorrow

and "steady strength" does help him, especially on the ground where he grinds out opponents,
most of the "explosive strength" I think would mostly be good for his standup and takedowns

I don't believe he said any of that in the article. His Jon Chaimberg his S and C coach is so important to him that he is often in his corner. There is no way that a serious and calculated athlete like GSP would devote so much time to a conditioning program if he didn't believe in it.

400px-Trollface.jpg

Pictured: GSP.

It was'nt that long ago that a fitness magazine claimed to show Lesnar's strength training routine: a 4 day Bodybuilding Split.:rolleyes:

In my experience most fighters are not strong and are also fucking clueless about strength training so this isn't a huge surprise.

In my experience most fighters are not strong and are also fucking clueless about strength training so this isn't a huge surprise.

tell us about your vast experience

I bet they all bow down to Master PCP.

Oh wait, they'll all kick your ass instead.

Okay you guys are edgy as fuck and all that shit and I'm sure you will "pwn" me or whatever, but I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do. I'm saying most of these guys don't know jack shit about strength training. I don't know any pros, but all the successful cage-fighter guys I know tell me they do virtually no strength training. Or if they do it's pushups and bodyweight type bullshit. I have a six hundred deadlift but a girl could probably knock my ass out if I let her hit me in the chin. I think especially lightweight/middleweight MMA is far more of a skill dominant sport than it is strength or power dominant. Maybe in heavyweight MMA strength is important.

I agree with SDMF/PCP on this one. I've trained at a couple MMA gyms, and I've been stronger than everyone there except this Brazilian BB 230lbish guy at a Gracie Barra, and more conditioned. They don't know jack. As long as you run yourself to the ground and feel tired then it was a good work out.

And cheer up PCP, I took a full spinning kick to my head from my old MMA teacher and a haymaker right from a training partner and though I did see stars for a second or two I was still standing and was virtually unfazed (granted, I outweighed them by fifty). Unless a lifter of Mass' or PCP's strength is fighting a real fighter (talking about at least a couple ammy fights), I think the lifter would win hands down. If said lifter had a year or two of MMA training down, that lifter would be really hard to beat.

They'll kick his ass because they are better fighters not because they are super strong. PCP may sound a little harsh but he's right. Compared to professional lifters (oly, power or strongman) most other pro athletes aren't that strong. It's not an insult, it's just a statement about the nature of the sport.

My instructor is a professional bantamweight fighter. I walked into my regular/weightlifting gym one day and he was there doing front squats in the smith machine. After reading on this forum for a while and reading/doing starting strength it made me kinda sad to see him using a smith machine, but he could still kick my ass without breaking a sweat. He really only lifts for physique purposes and I dont think he really considers it part of his MMA training. I agree with PCP.

I agree with SDMF/PCP on this one. I've trained at a couple MMA gyms, and I've been stronger than everyone there except this Brazilian BB 230lbish guy at a Gracie Barra, and more conditioned. They don't know jack. As long as you run yourself to the ground and feel tired then it was a good work out.

And cheer up PCP, I took a full spinning kick to my head from my old MMA teacher and a haymaker right from a training partner and though I did see stars for a second or two I was still standing and was virtually unfazed (granted, I outweighed them by fifty). Unless a lifter of Mass' or PCP's strength is fighting a real fighter (talking about at least a couple ammy fights), I think the lifter would win hands down. If said lifter had a year or two of MMA training down, that lifter would be really hard to beat.

csb.jpg

Back