GSP on S&C

what is he on about? half the time i see frenchie on tv he's either lifting or jumping things.

I don't believe that he only lifts for appearance. I'm sure a part of his lifting is geared more towards his appearance since a muscular body can lead to magazine covers and more endorsements. Take Todd Duffee for example. He's not close to a world championship yet he's on many magazine covers with his shirt off.

Okay you guys are edgy as fuck and all that shit and I'm sure you will "pwn" me or whatever, but I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do. I'm saying most of these guys don't know jack shit about strength training. I don't know any pros, but all the successful cage-fighter guys I know tell me they do virtually no strength training. Or if they do it's pushups and bodyweight type bullshit. I have a six hundred deadlift but a girl could probably knock my ass out if I let her hit me in the chin. I think especially lightweight/middleweight MMA is far more of a skill dominant sport than it is strength or power dominant. Maybe in heavyweight MMA strength is important.

You don't know any pros but all the "successful cage fighter guys" you do know tell you fighters do not know how to strength train.

Sherdog has the dumbest posters in history of dumb posters.

Okay you guys are edgy as fuck and all that shit and I'm sure you will "pwn" me or whatever, but I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do. I'm saying most of these guys don't know jack shit about strength training. I don't know any pros, but all the successful cage-fighter guys I know tell me they do virtually no strength training. Or if they do it's pushups and bodyweight type bullshit. I have a six hundred deadlift but a girl could probably knock my ass out if I let her hit me in the chin. I think especially lightweight/middleweight MMA is far more of a skill dominant sport than it is strength or power dominant. Maybe in heavyweight MMA strength is important.

:rolleyes:

It can't be that your "I'm better than everyone" attitude contributes to people feeling this way towards your posts, no?

While I may agree that most fighters don't really know why they do a lot of S&C, I can phrase it a lot better than that.

Ok, training for appearance includes jumping over things like a leapfrog, Litvinov conversions style training and various Tabata style intervalls.

Well, maybe I should try out for the next Mr. Olympia.

If you believe everything you read, you'd be very confused.

How Georges St-Pierre Works Out - Men's Fitness

Over 18 months elapsed between the Men's Fitness article and the one in the OP. Whether this matters or not, I don't know, but it seems to me that he is constantly changing things. I recall clearly a story in which his trainer said he had made huge gains in strength training because Georges had previously been training improperly. Perhaps he learned what he needed to learn and now has it incorporated into his normal routine in some unique way. He did say that he's the only one doing it that way and it would be easy to understand why.

I don't find it hard to believe that in general, fighters don't take strength training seriously, but it's hard to believe anyone neglects their strength at the highest levels.

Could be a semantics thing with his poor english

Not training to improve strength in particular but overall performance or injury prevention

Lol did you hear that Bob Cook? GSP doesn't train with weights anymore. Might as well cut Koscheck's routine in half and focus on skills because he won't need it.

If you bluff all the time it doesn't work anymore Georges.

He says he doesn't lift weights. Then immediately after that he says he does olympic lifts. I've also seen videos of him doing pullups with a weighted vest.

I think his definition of 'lifting weights' might be a little different from most people's.

Strength training becomes counter productive when you plateau (which is only achieved after a few years when you are forced to stay at a certain weight, like fighters are)

You are expected to fight at 170 pounds, so whats the point beasting yourself trying to gain even more strength, KNOWING that in order to do so you would have to put on weight. You can't just make strength appear out of nowhere like that. Everyone plateau's when they reach a certain weight/forced to stay at a certain weight; it's just a matter of time and genetics.

I think that's his point. He focuses on increasing his athleticism and does 'weightlifting' to make himself LOOK better, which as a knock on effect will cause him to maintain his strength levels already - maintaining isn't difficult afterall, building is difficult.

It's probably just being sold in a way that appears 'shocking' to increase the sales of this magazine.

Back