GSP is still the REAL GOAT

One day I'll come out with my 2 tiered goat list. There is no #1 goat in my book just yet. I'll play a little with u and I'll end after that for now.
I have gsp ahead of DJ and khabib ( although khabib wouldve passed him but wouldves dont count ).

This goes to your " elitist" opinion of me but I'm just a bit ahead of the curve and I consider myself blessed and, actually, in a humbled kind of way ( if u could understand). I'm not here to have people like me- I give zero fucks. Theres about 15% of my sherbro brethren ( they know who they are ) who have a better understanding and I respect their opinion when they sink their teeth into something.

I'll leave it at that and consider yourself privileged cause most I wouldnt even offer this response. I dont know if I land you in that 15% but I respect you as a poster. You're very VERY thorough when you come to the table ( whether I agree with u or not ).

I have my reasons for having the gsp where I have him. People ( especially sherdog) just get their panties in a twist and cry foul when I put slightly more than a half dozen fighters ahead of him.

No bigs. . and not my problem.

I agree that there isnt a clear cut #1 in MMA, so tiers seems a reasonable approach to the matter.

I'd have GSP in the first tier - definitely not my #1, in case I had to choose one - but I have a hard time recalling 6/7 guys with a better case than him tbh. I respect your opinion, of course.

Now that I think about it, Mousasi is definitly right up there in your book, how could I forget it lol
I have Gegard in very high regard but not really a GOAT candidate imo. Top5 MW of all time in my book though

I know- I just reviewed....he may be at #9.
I haven't put a delineate list together but he'll come in at 8 or 9.

Hes #1 @ welter still.

You GSP minions are quite the bunch.
No, you’re good. Part of Sherdog’s appeal is the humor.

GSP has a padded record full of favorable match-ups. He was greatly favored by the company because of being handsome and having a marketable personality, not really a world class fighter by any means.

He's the Ronda Rousey of male MMA.

You must be new to MMA.

GSP has a padded record full of favorable match-ups. He was greatly favored by the company because of being handsome and having a marketable personality, not really a world class fighter by any means.

He's the Ronda Rousey of male MMA.
This has to be one of the dumbest things ever written on here! And there have been many!

No, you’re good. Part of Sherdog’s appeal is the humor.
I also acknowledge that I can come across as a real dick( sometimes).

This happens alot when the great andy- georges debate happens. I have Silva above the gsp and people, literally ,get hot and bothered. My user is Franklin u so I'm obviously being honest in my assessments.

I feel like I have to apologize as part of a disclaimer.
??

GSP also lost the last round to Shields too which was a round that stood out in making him look ordinary.

This is true, but he still fought and beat Jake Shields quite handily who was on a 15 fight win streak at the time including wins over Hendo, Condit, Okami and Lawler. Still one of his best wins, IMO.

There are way to many posts on here about the GOAT. Any answer to this is up for debate, and always will be. There is no definitive answer to this debate, so why does it come up nearly every day on Sherdog? It can't be Jones because he cheated, can't be Fedor because he has lost about 10 times now, can't be GSP because he "lost to Hendricks" or never finished anyone, can't be A Silva for the same reason as Fedor, can't be Khabib because he only won at one weight class. It goes on and on, and nobody will ever agree. Enough already.:cool: Thank you!

I think there are three criterias to determine who the GOAT is.
Resume, dominance, and being/not being on PEDS.
Let's say our 5 contenders here are Jones, GSP, Khabib, Anderson and Fedor

If we talk about resume, I think Jones had undoubtly the best. His streak is just phenomenal, wins the wins over DC being the most impressive ones. Then come GSP, whose resume is amazing too. Then I would put Anderson's and Fedor's resumes, since both have incredible streaks, but stayed around too long at spoiled all that. Then comes Khabib, with his best wins being Conor, Poirier and Gaethje.
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson=Fedor
-Khabib

Now, in regards to dominance, Khabib is the best 100%. Guy engaged in the most brutal sport in the world, yet never got dropped or cut open... How amazing is that? Has one controversial dec win over Tibau though. Then comes Jones who also never got dropped but got hit bad by Gus 1, Reyes, and even DC in the second fight (to a lesser extent). He also lost to Reyes, struggled to win against a blown up MW with a fucked up knee in Santos. Then we have GSP, who displayed crazy dominance in many fights, beating guys in their own speciality, and won against anyone he has ever faced but lost twice (and arguably lost to Hendricks too). Then we have Anderson, whose striking was insane when in his prime. And finally Fedor
-Khabib
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson
-Fedor

So if we only took those two first criterias into account, it would appear as crystal clear that we have Jones>GSP>Khabib>Anderson>Fedor

But we have to take the PEDs into consideration. Look at how Jones has looked without Peds. Lost to Reyes who got ktfo by Jan. Struggled against one legged Santos who got choked out by 40 year old Glover. Nothing tells us that Jones would have been the same without PEDs, actually I think it would have been the exact opposite, Jones has never looked as bad as in his early 30's, which IS PRIME... And now he has just become the GOAT in ducking everyone, and he isn't far from losing soon if he ever fights again if you ask me.
Same thing can be said for Silva, that's why I think Fedor deserves place number 4.

So my take on all that is
GSP
Khabib
Jones
Fedor
Silva

Argue
Stopped reading at "lost to Reyes". Theres a function that shows wins and losses. Get out of those feelings.

This is true, but he still fought and beat Jake Shields quite handily who was on a 15 fight win streak at the time including wins over Hendo, Condit, Okami and Lawler. Still one of his best wins, IMO.

One of his best wins indeed but did you actually watch the Okami fight? Even the American audience in attendance booed the decision in favour of the American fighter.

I dont know, its hard to tell, its definitely one out of Fedor, JBJ, GSP, ASilva and MM, and definitely nobodoy out of this 5... but damn, to really choose one of those 5 is really tough and nearly impossible

Same answer:
Size is a natural advantage in fighting, just like being light is an advantage in marathon running or being tall is in basketball.
In those sports, if you aren't naturally gifted for them (that's to say being light or being tall), it's highly likely you will lose, but you will go home in one piece.
In fighting, this isn't the case. If a 140 pounder fights a 260 pounder, chances are high he dies or gets out in a wheelchair. That's why there are weightclasses in fighting. So being the FLW champ is like being a marathon world champ among guys over 260 pounds... There are literally thousands of people who could beat your ass...
However, the reason why I don't just consider HW being Goat candidates is because of the shallowness of the HW division compared to anything between FW and MW. That's why I rate division like LW or WW very high, because you got guys who are decenty big AND fight in stacked divisions.
At FLW you got midgets and a shallow talent pool...
I respect MM but therefore he is not even close to be GOAT if you ask me.

You put too much emphasis on size alone. Real fighting is not just based on weight and size, and weight and size doesn't automatically constitute a win - that only works on paper. There are lots of examples in sports and in real life street fights that prove that. Yes, the size and weight will give them the advantage - but that doesn't always equal a win.

There have been open weight match ups in both MMA and BJJ where the smaller/lighter fighter wins. Also fighters fighting in multiple weight classes and the fighters fighting above their natural weight class shows it's not always about size and weight. Just because you weigh 260 pounds doesn't mean there aren't lighter fighters that can't knock them out or submit them.

When it comes to real fighting and not just on paper, there are a lot of variables that can change the outcome of the fight.

Greasing should be a disqualifying offense in GOAT discussions.

I think not even you know whats your point

My point is that you made up a goat criteria based on your opinion (finishes).

And then compare it to someone saying that GSP's competition is better. Better than whom? You didn't even specify.

I also acknowledge that I can come across as a real dick( sometimes).

This happens alot when the great andy- georges debate happens. I have Silva above the gsp and people, literally ,get hot and bothered. My user is Franklin u so I'm obviously being honest in my assessments.

I feel like I have to apologize as part of a disclaimer.
??
No worries. We all have our own criteria. I just didn’t see how anyone could have GSP that low on the GOAT list.

GSP i great. He is no 3 on the goat rankings. If Jones moves up and beats a couple of HWs, GSP moves down to no 4.

GSP should come back to defend his no 3 spot if Jones moves to HW.

It's your opinion though.

Back