GSP is still the REAL GOAT

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think there are three criterias to determine who the GOAT is.
Resume, dominance, and being/not being on PEDS.
Let's say our 5 contenders here are Jones, GSP, Khabib, Anderson and Fedor

If we talk about resume, I think Jones had undoubtly the best. His streak is just phenomenal, wins the wins over DC being the most impressive ones. Then come GSP, whose resume is amazing too. Then I would put Anderson's and Fedor's resumes, since both have incredible streaks, but stayed around too long at spoiled all that. Then comes Khabib, with his best wins being Conor, Poirier and Gaethje.
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson=Fedor
-Khabib

Now, in regards to dominance, Khabib is the best 100%. Guy engaged in the most brutal sport in the world, yet never got dropped or cut open... How amazing is that? Has one controversial dec win over Tibau though. Then comes Jones who also never got dropped but got hit bad by Gus 1, Reyes, and even DC in the second fight (to a lesser extent). He also lost to Reyes, struggled to win against a blown up MW with a fucked up knee in Santos. Then we have GSP, who displayed crazy dominance in many fights, beating guys in their own speciality, and won against anyone he has ever faced but lost twice (and arguably lost to Hendricks too). Then we have Anderson, whose striking was insane when in his prime. And finally Fedor
-Khabib
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson
-Fedor

So if we only took those two first criterias into account, it would appear as crystal clear that we have Jones>GSP>Khabib>Anderson>Fedor

But we have to take the PEDs into consideration. Look at how Jones has looked without Peds. Lost to Reyes who got ktfo by Jan. Struggled against one legged Santos who got choked out by 40 year old Glover. Nothing tells us that Jones would have been the same without PEDs, actually I think it would have been the exact opposite, Jones has never looked as bad as in his early 30's, which IS PRIME... And now he has just become the GOAT in ducking everyone, and he isn't far from losing soon if he ever fights again if you ask me.
Same thing can be said for Silva, that's why I think Fedor deserves place number 4.

So my take on all that is
GSP
Khabib
Jones
Fedor
Silva

Argue

GSP has a padded record full of favorable match-ups. He was greatly favored by the company because of being handsome and having a marketable personality, not really a world class fighter by any means.

He's the Ronda Rousey of male MMA.

As much as I like Aldo, putting him over Khabib is preposterous.
I will always have a hard time considering a BW or worse a FLW a GOAT, they just too small.
Oh come on buddy if you're going to be like that then the only people in the GOAT discussion are Heavyweights. Besides, at least those 2 never missed weight in the divisions they fight in.

CalculatingGraveGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

I like your analysis TS, pretty neutral and well thought out.

One factor I that really influences my view that the 4 established Goats (GSP, Jones, Anderson, Fedor) still are the top 4 is the way that they'd run through their division while being champ. Most champs now, Khabib being a prime example, tend to wait around for #2 to fight #3 so they only have to ever fight the top contender to keep their status cemented. The 4 Goats (at least for a notable portion of their careers) would do shit like fight #2 in August, #3 in December, and then #4 in April if he was still the best available guy they hadn't beaten yet.

GSP has a padded record full of favorable match-ups. He was greatly favored by the company because of being handsome and having a marketable personality, not really a world class fighter by any means.

He's the Ronda Rousey of male MMA.

Almost went for it, lol. The Ronda Rousey line gave it up

Oh come on buddy if you're going to be like that then the only people in the GOAT discussion are Heavyweights. Besides, at least those 2 never missed weight in the divisions they fight in.
Size is a natural advantage in fighting, just like being light is an advantage in marathon running or being tall is in basketball.
In those sports, if you aren't naturally gifted for them (that's to say being light or being tall), it's highly likely you will lose, but you will go home in one piece.
In fighting, this isn't the case. If a 140 pounder fights a 260 pounder, chances are high he dies or gets out in a wheelchair. That's why there are weightclasses in fighting. So being the FLW champ is like being a marathon world champ among guys over 260 pounds... There are literally thousands of people who could beat your ass...
However, the reason why I don't just consider HW being Goat candidates is because of the shallowness of the HW division compared to anything between FW and MW. That's why I rate division like LW or WW very high, because you got guys who are decenty big AND fight in stacked divisions.
At FLW you got midgets and a shallow talent pool...
I respect MM but therefore he is not even close to be GOAT if you ask me.

Last edited:
I think there are three criterias to determine who the GOAT is.
Resume, dominance, and being/not being on PEDS.
Let's say our 5 contenders here are Jones, GSP, Khabib, Anderson and Fedor

If we talk about resume, I think Jones had undoubtly the best. His streak is just phenomenal, wins the wins over DC being the most impressive ones. Then come GSP, whose resume is amazing too. Then I would put Anderson's and Fedor's resumes, since both have incredible streaks, but stayed around too long at spoiled all that. Then comes Khabib, with his best wins being Conor, Poirier and Gaethje.
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson=Fedor
-Khabib

Now, in regards to dominance, Khabib is the best 100%. Guy engaged in the most brutal sport in the world, yet never got dropped or cut open... How amazing is that? Has one controversial dec win over Tibau though. Then comes Jones who also never got dropped but got hit bad by Gus 1, Reyes, and even DC in the second fight (to a lesser extent). He also lost to Reyes, struggled to win against a blown up MW with a fucked up knee in Santos. Then we have GSP, who displayed crazy dominance in many fights, beating guys in their own speciality, and won against anyone he has ever faced but lost twice (and arguably lost to Hendricks too). Then we have Anderson, whose striking was insane when in his prime. And finally Fedor
-Khabib
-Jones
-GSP
-Anderson
-Fedor

So if we only took those two first criterias into account, it would appear as crystal clear that we have Jones>GSP>Khabib>Anderson>Fedor

But we have to take the PEDs into consideration. Look at how Jones has looked without Peds. Lost to Reyes who got ktfo by Jan. Struggled against one legged Santos who got choked out by 40 year old Glover. Nothing tells us that Jones would have been the same without PEDs, actually I think it would have been the exact opposite, Jones has never looked as bad as in his early 30's, which IS PRIME... And now he has just become the GOAT in ducking everyone, and he isn't far from losing soon if he ever fights again if you ask me.
Same thing can be said for Silva, that's why I think Fedor deserves place number 4.

So my take on all that is
GSP
Khabib
Jones
Fedor
Silva

Argue
<PlusJuan>

Back