GSP is skill for skill the best MMA fighter ever

BJ has amazing TDD, resisting GSP's attempts for as long as he did. I gotta say that I think that Aldo has the best all time TDD.
Totally agree. Aldo also is one with a near perfect skill set, but the mcgreggor fight showed he has some flaws in his boxing I guess.

~DaViD~

Conor fight too fresh in my mind. Purely subjective reason. Aldo is skill for skill the best up there with GSP and Jones, a little below both for me but only a little - but "greatness"? I can't get the Conor loss out of my mind.

He needs the chance to get that win back.
This is what I was talking about when ranking fighters lol. I do it as well.

This is what I was talking about when ranking fighters lol. I do it as well.
yeah, it's purely fantasy - just for discussion purposes

Sometimes i can't get a particular image out my head. I descredited GSP for a long time because I couldn't forget about him taping to Serra

Fedor all the way. He was undefeated during his legendary run where as GSP was knocked out by Serra and lost to Hughes as well.

Could you imagine if GSP had show case fights against the likes of Frank Trigg or Triple H between title fights?

It's easy to descredit BJ Penn in hindsight, or to laugh at his nuthuggers, but BJ is the biggest waste of talent in MMA - Watch him at his very best and the eyetest says there's not a LW in history that can beat that guy. He changed tactics at some point, I think to address what he perceived as a cardio issue, and that hurt him. He was an awe inspiring offensive grappler, I mean dude used to pass directly into quarter mount from guard on the regular

I mean
the guy took down young GSP iirc, that's ridiculous. If LW had been solid in the UFC when he was coming up and he would have remained there he could have had a ridiculous prime. He's a guy like Rampage that I think would have been better served NOT getting counter oriented on the feet

What this guy said

You know you are a bad mofo when you are called a waste of talent and you are still an all time great lmao Jones is the same shit but on a different scale.

BJ Penn is known for having issues whit being motivated with is a shame i mean just look at this video in preparation for the Diego fight (which was one of his best fights).

If he had those guys for the majority of his career who knows what we would be talk about right now about BJ. The guy was a BJJ Black Belt in 3 fucking years ffs.

Could you imagine if GSP had show case fights against the likes of Frank Trigg or Triple H between title fights?

This is one of the best perspectives i ever read about it lmao

PRIDE FC was a freakshow.

Well yeah. GSP got a little stale since he fought the exact same fight for about 5 matches in a row, but the guy was a marvel in terms of skill and execution. His strength of schedule was mental. GOAT, and I don't actually feel it's that close - and I am not a fan of his 'safety first' approach.

The way Frankie Edgar had NOTHING...and i mean NOTHING on Aldo both fights but especially this second was some scary shit. Aldo is a beast, i really want to see him at 155. There is some sick match ups waiting for him there. At 145 he only really has Holloway left and i think he takes the kid to school.
Frankie fight proved once and for all Aldo's TDD. Normally these wrestlers could only keep him down when he was tired. Now it seems he can muscle them around all night.

Totally agree. Aldo also is one with a near perfect skill set, but the mcgreggor fight showed he has some flaws in his boxing I guess.

~DaViD~
I can't believe that Aldo did that. At least he improved his striking defence in the Frankie fight.

Not discrediting jones but I feel along with his tremendous skill, his physical gifts (size/reach) are tremendous factors in to why he has been so successful. GSP was never a huge for ww. He just worked his ass off to be better than you at everything. So I'd have to agree

Conor fight too fresh in my mind. Purely subjective reason. Aldo is skill for skill the best up there with GSP and Jones, a little below both for me but only a little - but "greatness"? I can't get the Conor loss out of my mind.

He needs the chance to get that win back.

Understandable, the inactivity hurts him a little too but his reign was far better than MM and one loss shouldn't totally erase that, despite it being so brutal.... He isn't at the very top but I have him higher than MM because his competition was a lot tougher and he never really struggled, as much as MM did at times.
I agree, IF he wins the rematch, he will be the p4p goat (considering he has to beat Khabib or Tony to rematch Conor)

Well yeah. GSP got a little stale since he fought the exact same fight for about 5 matches in a row, but the guy was a marvel in terms of skill and execution. His strength of schedule was mental. GOAT, and I don't actually feel it's that close - and I am not a fan of his 'safety first' approach.

Good post

Yeah he's not my favorite at all
But there's something to be said (in any sport) of the guy who does the same thing every game/match and still wins.
DONT LET GSP TAKE YOU DOWN and DONT LET HIM JAB YOUR EYE OUT OF ITS SOCKET
Everybody knows this - not one person could stop him, until Hendricks.

I think that Aldo needs to forget about a Mcgregor rematch. He just needs to keep on fighting top fighters like Holloway, and move up if there is nothing left at FW. The only way I see a Conor rematch happening right now is in the end of Conor's career or as a retirement fight.

Conor knows that it is going to make a lot of money, but could be really damaging for his career if he loses, since KO'ing Aldo was his biggest achievement.

Fedor is probably the most skilled. He beat BJJ wizards, elite strikers, and world class wrestlers in his reign.

I'm going to be that asshole that splits hairs here and disagrees that Fedor was the most SKILLED. Instead, I'm going to say he was the most EFFECTIVE. On the ground, he was skilled, yes. But if we're being honest, Fedor was not a skilled striker from a technical basis. But his timing and power made him the hammer of Thor when it came to effective striking.

GSP is still more skilled in all aspects. But less effective in many.

This is one of the best perspectives i ever read about it lmao

PRIDE FC was a freakshow.

It's crazy, Fedor has one finish in PRIDE HW title fights, and it was against Mark Hunt who was a replacement, coming off a loss.

There are room for showcase fights, it really helps fighters, Fedor is going to be living off that padded streak for the rest of time, while GSP's fighting ability is going to be questioned.

Fedor has one finish in PRIDE HW title fights, and it was against Mark Hunt who was a replacement, coming off a loss.

kvpaw.gif

Frankie fight proved once and for all Aldo's TDD. Normally these wrestlers could only keep him down when he was tired. Now it seems he can muscle them around all night.

I can't believe that Aldo did that. At least he improved his striking defence in the Frankie fight.
Yeah he's always had really good defense but he can't throw those shitty Muay Thai combos like that. I'm seeing a similarity in Brazilian Muay Thai practitioners just like werdum who lunge in too much. Hell, even shogun did it in his prime too.

~DaViD~

I'm going to be that asshole that splits hairs here and disagrees that Fedor was the most SKILLED. Instead, I'm going to say he was the most EFFECTIVE. On the ground, he was skilled, yes. But if we're being honest, Fedor was not a skilled striker from a technical basis. But his timing and power made him the hammer of Thor when it came to effective striking.

GSP is still more skilled in all aspects. But less effective in many.
That's a good way of putting it

~DaViD~

It's crazy, Fedor has one finish in PRIDE HW title fights, and it was against Mark Hunt who was a replacement, coming off a loss.

There are room for showcase fights, it really helps fighters, Fedor is going to be living off that padded streak for the rest of time, while GSP's fighting ability is going to be questioned.

Yeah, it really doesn`t help your case in terms of credibility that you beat Mirko Cro Cop and your next fight is Zuzulinho i mean c`mon.

Yeah he's always had really good defense but he can't throw those shitty Muay Thai combos like that. I'm seeing a similarity in Brazilian Muay Thai practitioners just like werdum who lunge in too much. Hell, even shogun did it in his prime too.

~DaViD~
Aldo:Let me just charge in against the dude with the best KO power in the division. He'll never expect it.
<mma1>
I gain more and more respect for Conor as time goes on though. Hated him when he beat Aldo though, which is funny cos I sorta liked him after beating Mendes.

Good post

Yeah he's not my favorite at all
But there's something to be said (in any sport) of the guy who does the same thing every game/match and still wins.
DONT LET GSP TAKE YOU DOWN and DONT LET HIM JAB YOUR EYE OUT OF ITS SOCKET
Everybody knows this - not one person could stop him, until Hendricks.
Exactly!

Jab, jab, superman punch, leg kick, TD.....the best of the best in a crazily tough division were powerless to stop this. Exciting? Nah. Effective? Always. and he did it for 25 mins with metronomic reliability every single time.

Back