• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GSP: " I never enjoyed one moment of my fights."

Watch him pre and post Serra. He didn't like to fight, he takes less risks, It's obvious.

He never took risks. He got more finishes before Serra, but there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't do the same thing to the opponents he finished before Serra

Everyone trying to hard to explain this is a GSP type of thing, and others like Silva or Lawler enjoyed fighting....stop.

Save the gifs of them smiling while they fight too. Ppl smile in a fight for many reasons, it does not always mean you are having a good time (that trick works on you).

If you have read enough fighter autobiographies you know all fighters get nervous and anxious and do not enjoy the fight. But they enjoy the challenge, the high stakes life of a fighter.

The biggie for Anderson for me though isn't Jones, its that he didn't step up and fight Shogun, Rashad, etc at LHW.

Anderson is clearly a bigger man than GSP and Jones is clearly a bigger man than Anderson but is Shogun bigger than Anderson? in the UFC I would say not really so its moreso Anderson who avoided fighting the best guys his own size and instead took some weak MW title defences.

People dont like to hear that but Shogun is the much better Fighter. Worlds better ground Game, better wrestling and stand Up also an advantage with better kicki g Game. All that fancy shit works vs someone like Lutter or Cote but not Shogun. He had better defense, better Kicks , equal thai clinch, equal punches

<{monica}>

backstory, did i miss something? back in the days there was a rumor that GSP got a chick pregnant, after he retired post Hendricks fight. does it have to do with his private life??? im out of the loop guys...

He never took risks. He got more finishes before Serra, but there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't do the same thing to the opponents he finished before Serra

Why is his nickname "Rush"? For not taking risks? Lol

I was going to make a thread when I saw this article, but I knew someone else would, and I knew the GSP fanatics would spin this whole thing and claim that this makes him the GOAT, even though it's evidence of the opposite. It's pointless to use logic and reasoning when attempting to discuss things with people who have an absurdly blind bias.

Does it speak well for him to have accomplished what he did and do so well in a sport that he didn't enjoy competing in? Yes, of course. However, it showed in his results that not only was he doing it for status and money only, but that he was scared and afraid to truly test his limits. The greatest of all time is not a status you achieve by being scared, minimizing risks, cherrypicking opponents, or playing it safe. To admit fear and flat out say he didn't like it does not prove he's GOAT. It proves he never took that extra step to embrace his talents and push it as far as possible. He retired at 32 - we missed his best fighting years because he wasn't confident in himself to continue winning. That's not GOAT shit.

People dont like to hear that but Shogun is the much better Fighter. Worlds better ground Game, better wrestling and stand Up also an advantage with better kicki g Game. All that fancy shit works vs someone like Lutter or Cote but not Shogun. He had better defense, better Kicks , equal thai clinch, equal punches

I do think Anderson would have been vulnerable to the tactics Shogun used on Machida, Silva might have a MT background but I don't think his kicking game was ever that impressive in terms of low and mid kicks.

In GSP's case I tend to think that the main argument against him being the GOAT is circumstance, that he was fighting in an era were natural 170lbs were lagging behind in development due to there not being much money on offer in Japan(unlike HW, LHW and LW) but with Anderson I think it was more that the best potential MW sized guys in that era were at LHW. He had the chance to chase those matches and he didn't.

Why is his nickname "Rush"? For not taking risks? Lol

I was going to make a thread when I saw this article, but I knew someone else would, and I knew the GSP fanatics would spin this whole thing and claim that this makes him the GOAT, even though it's evidence of the opposite. It's pointless to use logic and reasoning when attempting to discuss things with people who have an absurdly blind bias.

Does it speak well for him to have accomplished what he did and do so well in a sport that he didn't enjoy competing in? Yes, of course. However, it showed in his results that not only was he doing it for status and money only, but that he was scared and afraid to truly test his limits. The greatest of all time is not a status you achieve by being scared, minimizing risks, cherrypicking opponents, or playing it safe. To admit fear and flat out say he didn't like it does not prove he's GOAT. It proves he never took that extra step to embrace his talents and push it as far as possible. He retired at 32 - we missed his best fighting years because he wasn't confident in himself to continue winning. That's not GOAT shit.
But wouldn’t all of that speak even more of his greatness?
That despite being “scared” as you like to put it, he still accomplished what he did. It appears he had to overcome even more than most if his mindset is considered a negative. To finish his career on a 13-0 streak and to finish the last man he faced in the octagon is some definite GOAT shit.

Let's not start acting like "nobody enjoys to fight". What else explains all the dudes fighting over a few hundred dollars? They're probably not doing it for the pay.

There are, most certainly, a ton of MMA fighters who enjoy to fight. GSP just wasn't one of them.

Yup, doesn't like to fight and still dominates. Imagine if he liked to fight.
Hed probably be less successfuk

Most of the GOATS arent the just bleed "i live for this!" kinda people

Let's not start acting like "nobody enjoys to fight". What else explains all the dudes fighting over a few hundred dollars? They're probably not doing it for the pay.

There are, most certainly, a ton of MMA fighters who enjoy to fight. GSP just wasn't one of them.
Agreed,but i think there are many more who dont,but arent willing to be candid about it like GSP is

why isnt Wanderlei Silva in jail for life?

Google "how did GSP get his nickname". What will you find? This quote from the man himself:

GSP: "I got the nickname “Rush” because in the beginning of my career I used to beat my opponents all in the first round, very early."

You fanatics are so blindly enthralled in your obsession with the man, that you don't even listen to what he says. You just make up your own shit to make him seem better. Why though?

Now, I don't know for sure, but I believe Wanderlei got his nickname because of how he looks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But wouldn’t all of that speak even more of his greatness?
That despite being “scared” as you like to put it, he still accomplished what he did. It appears he had to overcome even more than most if his mindset is considered a negative. To finish his career on a 13-0 streak and to finish the last man he faced in the octagon is some definite GOAT shit.

There she is! Scared isn't how I put it, the man himself has stated (numerous times) he's always scared when he fights. Now he's saying he never enjoyed one second. It speaks well of him because he accomplished so much, as I stated before, but it doesn't make him the GOAT as you so desperately want him to be. It was a detriment in the long run because it deterred him from accomplishing HIS ultimate goal of finishing his opponents. It also deterred him from breaking Silva's title defense record. Silva and Jones just did it better. No shame in that. GSP has WW on lock and likely won't be surpassed for a long time.

Last edited:
There she is! Scared isn't how I put it, the man himself has stated (numerous times) he's always scared when he fights. Now he's saying he never enjoyed one second. It speaks well of him because he accomplished so much, as I stated before, but it doesn't make him the GOAT as you so desperately want him to be. It was a detriment in the long run because it deterred him from accomplishing HIS ultimate goal of finishing his opponents. It also deterred him from breaking Silva's title defense record. Silva and Jones just did it better. No shame in that. GSP has WW on lock and likely won't be surpassed for a long time.
McDego can’t have a debate without hurling attempted insults. I attempted to a have a civil debate with you but your insecurities got the best of you again.

McDego can’t have a debate without hurling attempted insults. I attempted to a have a civil debate with you but your insecurities got the best of you again.

Lol. Finally yellow carded for your childish nonsense? You didn't attempt to have a civil debate, you never do. You have no rebuttal, so YOU try to insult, and fail. Is normal.

Lol. Finally yellow carded for your childish nonsense? You didn't attempt to have a civil debate, you never do. You have no rebuttal, so YOU try to insult, and fail. Is normal.
McDego,
Go back and reread our exchange in this thread. My reply to you stayed on topic and contained no insults.
I’ve never insulted you until after you’ve initiated it.
“Childish”? Nothing is more childish than a grown man such as yourself running 2 accounts on an mma forum in an attempt to win arguments. Then lacking the awareness to not use the same verbiage and debating style on both.
No one but you uses “there she is!”
and “PeeWee Herman defense” repeatedly. And you do it on both of your accounts.
The yellow was for an apparently inappropriate comment in response to a picture. It wasn’t the result of exchanges with another poster.

Strange how a statement like this is in the minority.

Most fighters are all "woo, I love being in the ring, yeeeaa!!!"

I could understand all or the glory but training to your limits, fighting someone who is capable of seriously injuring you in front of millions of people doesn't sound "fun" in the least. Sounds like if you're doing it right it should be stressful, like GSP said.

Even the Diaz bros say that they don’t enjoy the fighting. But that’s just bitchthink, according to sherdog basement wizards.

Back