GSP and poor striking - Jake Shields?

GSP had a bad night against Shields. He still pretty much dominated..

The threat of the takedown is the most important aspect of his standup.

No.

People always overstate that.

That fact is, GSP ranges from good to very good to great in many aspects of the mma striking game like: speed, footwork, movement, technique, distance management/awareness, feints, takedown threat, striking diversity.

The threat of the takedown is in there of course but many people would be surprised at how good his pure standup is if there was a striking only tournament in the UFC WW division. He would have a good shot at winning it IMO.

I saw a story recently in the Quebec media that talked about much earlier in his career when he was trying to improve his boxing going at the top boxing gym in Montreal. He was having an intense sparring session that everybody was watching in the gym with Nicholson Poulard (who is a quality pro journeyman boxer in Quebec... brother of ex world champ Jean Pascal) and he was beating him. Poulard was apparently very discouraged after that session as he was preparing for a fight.

Note that GSP was still VERY green back then, it was BEFORE he trained with great coaches like Howard Grant, Freddie Roach and St

Without the threat of the takedowns he got tko'd by Serra. That's why he starts most of his fights with a takedown attempt.

i dont think that GSP is the best pure striker in the division
i dont think that GSP is the best pure wrestler in the division

i do think that GSP is the best at utilising both in an effecient fashion in the division.

i do think that GSP is the best at utilising both in an effecient fashion in the division.

6ep36t.gif

well done, sir.

Although I would be interested to see GSP and Kos in a pure wrestling match. I wouldn't bet against him being a top 2 or 3 wrestler in the WW division.

St Pierres striking is very technical, and he's shown how powerful it can be (his early fights were especially crazy with striking) but he sticks to the fundamentals and makes sure that he doesn't open up the opportunity of getting caught with a big shot to the chin

in short, GSP has high level striking, some of the best at WW actually (I'm pretty sure he outstruck Condit pretty heavily), but he refuses to use much more than his jab, kicks and the occasional superman punch to keep himself going. It's not a deadly combo, but it's highly effective, and more importantly, sets himself up for the takedown

Agreed, only a crackhead would label GSP`s striking as poor.

Its clearly poor to anyone who knows anything about fighting. It is very one dimensional and stiff, and consists of robototic jabs, and telegraphed overhand right, and repeat.

He is clearly one of those guys who is not a natural striker and never will be, no matter how much he trains. Compare that to Daniel Cormier , who comes from a wrestling background, but throws down like a bad ass.

Its clearly poor to anyone who knows anything about fighting. It is very one dimensional and stiff, and consists of robototic jabs, and telegraphed overhand right, and repeat.

He is clearly one of those guys who is not a natural striker and never will be, no matter how much he trains. Compare that to Daniel Cormair , who comes from a wrestling background, but throws down like a bad ass.

Ah yes. Throwing down like a bad ass. Good evaluation, "Roids". Weird how everyone gets outclassed by GSP's one dimensional striking.

The only time GSP has ever looked bad was in the shields fight, which is why haters mention it.

GSP's striking prowess has come into question twice- round 1 of the first fight against Penn, and the last two rounds against Shields. The common denominator? Anyone that has to ask is a moron.

And Serra too.

What is obvious? That Silva got destroyed on the feet by a wrestler for 4 and a half rounds, while GSP IMO hasn't lost a single round in striking since when... BJ 1.
Even with the several intentional eye pokes, Shields did nothing to George. I had it 50-45 GSP.

He is the best p4p striker in all of the UFC IMO.

Huge GSP fan but no.

Back