GSP and poor striking - Jake Shields?

I don't understand people who disregard the threat of takedowns. Sonnen vs Silva I and Cain vs JDS II are prime examples of pure strikers getting outstruck. It is easier to get hit when there are other things to worry about.

The thing is, who cares about pure striking? This is MMA, not kickboxing.

How good you are at striking in MMA includes how good you are at take downs and dealing with them. If someone out strikes you because you're afraid of their take downs, their MMA striking was better than yours.

Excuse me, but you must have some serious issues if you do not see a difference between GSP from April 7th, 2007 and nowadays GSP.
He has been improving ever since.
If we follow your logic, Silva lost to Takase lol.
You are too new here to make such statesments for me newb.

Funny how you didn't address him nearly getting KO'd by Condit :redface:

Silva is a much better striker than GSP, it's not even close.

Power dos'nt eq technic not every good striker have alot of ko's. Change your name to facepalm!

So he's the greatest striker in the WW division, and has no power? Gotcha I'll get right on that.

Not dismal but BJ almost defeated GSP in the first round using his stand up advantage.

I think people saying GSP is the best stand up fighter at WW, or one of the top 5 in MMA wouldn't know great stand up if it hit them in the face.

GSP's stand up is very good, technically, but it works because of how well he mixes it with his feints and TDs

besides hendricks, marquardt, and alves, not that many.

Wasn't Alves outstriked and even dropped in his fight against GSP? And yes, I know about the takedown threat.

GSP's stand up is very good, technically, but it works because of how well he mixes it with his feints and TDs

That's the beauty of MMA.

Now if you want to talk wrestling, yeah I'll rank him as the best wrestler in the WW division.

Power dos'nt eq technic not every good striker have alot of ko's. Change your name to facepalm!

Do you even understand what you wrote? They aren't sitting in for a technique examination, if you are saying one guy is unable to finish on the feet how the hell can he be the best striker.

MMA fans have such an obsession with technique, like that is all that matters. Power, speed, reflexes, even chin, are all huge factors. You don't hear boxing fans say, yea that guy knocks everyone out in the first round but he doesn't keep his hands high enough so he's not that good.

the entire title of yesterday's poll was "pure striking". Does anyone here truly believe he is the best "pure striker" in the WW division? BC the poll was laughable.
You have never seen him in a pure striking match. So until you do don't act like you know what would happen. Against pro thai/kb's he would prob lose to the top guys. But I against other mma fighters from his dif in a pure striking match I think he would be fine.

Funny how you didn't address him nearly getting KO'd by Condit :redface:

Silva is a much better striker than GSP, it's not even close.

Yes, he missed a kick but he continued his domination; and Condit isn't a bad striker by any means. Everybody misses strikes here and there. He is not invurnerable. Moreso his chin is what will eventually be his downfall. GSP can lose by flash KO, but nobody can decision GSP at that point. That's what technique is all about; GSP is the best when it comes to this.

I've always been a big fan of gsp. But lets face it. The guy hasn't stopped anyone in years. His style right now is jab, jab, an occasional right hand, maybe a leg kick, then take down and hold the opponent on the ground the whole round.. every round is the exact same thing. A true striker finishes fights. Silver has finished almost everyone he's faced in the ufc aside from a couple of matches. at the top of my head, the only guy he didn't stop was Damian Miaia.

I remember a few years back, watching gsp beat the ever living hell out of the "muscle shark sherk guy. blasted him with elbows. stopped him. Where is that guy now? The guy that went after you to try and end the fight. that guy is non existant. Now, its takedown, hold you there all round. repeat, every single round. That would be ok, if he stopped some guys down there or submitted some, but no. I can see the end coming very soon for gsp. sad to say.

Do you even understand what you wrote? They aren't sitting in for a technique examination, if you are saying one guy is unable to finish on the feet how the hell can he be the best striker.

Beacuse he dominates all of his opponents standing up?

I can see the end coming very soon for gsp. sad to say.

Sorry, he's better today than he has ever been. The reality is that a lot of these so called "knock out artists" either end up getting knocked out themselves, or losing matches. And don't compare him to Anderson. GSP is a wrestler/grappler primarily.

Yes, he missed a kick but he continued his domination; and Condit isn't a bad striker by any means. Everybody misses strikes here and there. He is not invurnerable. Moreso his chin is what will eventually be his downfall. GSP can lose by flash KO, but nobody can decision GSP at that point. That's what technique is all about; GSP is the best when it comes to this.

He stood with Condit and got dropped by a headkick, he got outstruck. He didn't drop Condit or seriously hurt Condit with his strikes on the feet. Condit is the better striker but this is MMA and obviously striking isn't everything. Yes no one can decision a fighter like GSP, can't argue that one...

Beacuse he dominates all of his opponents standing up?

You have to understand that apparently finishing power is the only standard used to determine quality of stand up.

MMA fans have such an obsession with technique, like that is all that matters. Power, speed, reflexes, even chin, are all huge factors. You don't hear boxing fans say, yea that guy knocks everyone out in the first round but he doesn't keep his hands high enough so he's not that good.
Not saying he is the best! Take bisbing very little ko's great tech. Hendo bad tech alot of ko's. All i am trying to say is that GSP is one of the best strikers in dif. Can you understand that? Or should I just say because he has'nt ko'ed any with striking scince houghes his striking is shit!

What strikers do you put ahead of him?

In a pure striking event, Daley would left hook his head off. Also as a boxer I feel Nick Diaz would beat him. The TD threat changes a lot, thus MMA striking is a whole different animal...and GSP has proven he can stand with everyone and at least hold his own.

Regardless of the td threat or not, it is what it is, and gsp has outstruck fighters that were supposibly better strikers than gsp.

Gsp is easily by far the best effective striker in ww

Striking is striking and mma is mma.

He's one of the top 5 mixed martial artists in the world.

He is not one of the top 5 strikers in the WW division.

If he were he would have a finish in the last 4 years.

This, so much.

I'm reading some posts in this thread that are genuine insanity.

Remember folks, Chael Sonnen outstruck Anderson Silva on the feet because of the threat of the take down.

For the love of God, Chael Sonnen is not a better striker than Anderson Silva, and the threat of the take down is absolutely nothing like having a long reach.

One of those you keep in a pure striking match. Hello?

This, so much.

I'm reading some posts in this thread that are genuine insanity.

Remember folks, Chael Sonnen outstruck Anderson Silva on the feet because of the threat of the take down.

For the love of God, Chael Sonnen is not a better striker than Anderson Silva, and the threat of the take down is absolutely nothing like having a long reach.

One of those you keep in a pure striking match. Hello?

I was actually just going to post this.

Chael is still ahead of Anderson in terms of strikes landed in the standup. Based on the first fight alone he was clearly a superior striker to Anderson Silva during the period between their fights. The threat of the takedown means nothing, and Chael is the better striker and that's all there is to it.

Back