GSP and poor striking - Jake Shields?

all you people saying his striking is so amazing, please elaborate? I see him jab, circle, jab, circle, jab, circle

wooow amazing striking

GSP doesn't circle much, he's almost always the one in the center of the octagon. You just exposed yourself as someone who don't know what hes talking about.

Its clearly poor to anyone who knows anything about fighting. It is very one dimensional and stiff, and consists of robototic jabs, and telegraphed overhand right, and repeat.

He is clearly one of those guys who is not a natural striker and never will be, no matter how much he trains. Compare that to Daniel Cormier , who comes from a wrestling background, but throws down like a bad ass.

clearly you know a ton about striking technique since daniel cormier is your example.

...clearly.

you gotta understand GSP always has that threat of a takedown which usually always leads to him holding people down for an entire round, thus taking better strikers out of their element

in a pure striking fight i'd take Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, Nick Diaz, Dan Hardy, BJ Penn, Martin Kampmann and new to the UFC WW division Robbie Lawler, Nate Marquart, Jordan Mein, and Patrick Cote

without that threat of takedown GSP would be demolished by a lot of people in the striking department

Completely Irrelevant this is MMA not K-1 GSP outstruck them live with it.

Out-working somone standing up during 5 rounds > dropping somone with one kick

I thought we were discussing MMA, and not "pure striking"? Who is the best MMA striker at WW? And what do you mean by "at least hold his own"? He has out-worked all of his opponents standing up, except maybe in the first Penn fight, which was very close.

At least hold his own means he can stand until he feels like he's in a vulnerable position, or nearly KTFO by Condit, and he takes it back to the mat.....

GSP is a FAR BETTER MMA wrestler than MMA striker, hows that Cochise?

tumblr_m85e8mw00m1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

I needed a good laugh this morning, thank you

Who's better? :icon_lol:

i dont think that GSP is the best pure striker in the division
i dont think that GSP is the best pure wrestler in the division

i do think that GSP is the best at utilising both in an effecient fashion in the division.

You my friend I'd like to meet and I'd buy you a beer. Very well stated. You must be another impartial fight fan that can evaluate, criticize, and not be all butthurt cause your views are skewed by your like or dislike for any given fighter. Nice post.

There are a couple better standup WW's, and Hendricks could likely outwrestle him...and I'd question Askren as well. But in MMA he hasn't been beaten in forever and he is always fighting the best contenders in one of the best divisions out there with a huge fighter pool. People need to cut him some slack.

his striking was bad even before the eyepoke.

In a pure striking event, Daley would left hook his head off. Also as a boxer I feel Nick Diaz would beat him. The TD threat changes a lot, thus MMA striking is a whole different animal...and GSP has proven he can stand with everyone and at least hold his own.

boxing is a sport with rules that allows limited clinching so it is not pure in terms of striking. same with K1 & Muay Thai. they are out. I guess we are talking about TQD and Karate when we say Pure Striking.

and in those pure striking sports I think GSP would be the favorite.

trying to measure in other none pure striking sports who would be better under a different set of restrictive rules is dumb. GSP out strikes guys in the sport of mma and therefore is the better mma striker.

I think his footwork and speed helps his striking game a lot, specially defensive-wise.... But there is so much more involved into the striking game than jabs, circle to the left, superman punches and some kicks, i think his offensive striking is pretty average, even for MMA. It only becomes effective when you put it together with his grappling game, which is almost perfect and scares the shit out of every opponent.

You my friend I'd like to meet and I'd buy you a beer. Very well stated. You must be another impartial fight fan that can evaluate, criticize, and not be all butthurt cause your views are skewed by your like or dislike for any given fighter. Nice post.

There are a couple better standup WW's, and Hendricks could likely outwrestle him...and I'd question Askren as well. But in MMA he hasn't been beaten in forever and he is always fighting the best contenders in one of the best divisions out there with a huge fighter pool. People need to cut him some slack.

im a HUGE GSP fan.

hands down he is my favorite fighter.

im just a realist and i just try to call it how i see it.

appreciate the love though and if we do meet, ill hold you to that beer :p

I don't think so either. Haters will use that one mediocre performance to discredit all of Georges' wins. GSP is a basic, but very technical striker. He has solid fundamentals, and that puts him ahead of a lot of strikers that "should" be better than him. His takedowns also help.

Yeah, I wouldn't say he has poor striking, just over-rated striking. He uses his jab very well and obviously has some nice kicks, but overall he is very basic like you said.

I don't think he is some sort of striking god like some would have you believe. He does the basics well and has a very solid jab. I think the biggest asset to his striking game though is the fact he can take his opponent down whenever he wants. His opponents are never allowed to get truly comfortable striking which in turn allows GSP to take control on the feet.

The only time GSP has ever looked bad was in the shields fight, which is why haters mention it.

I wouldn't say he looked good in his first fight with Penn.

Or his first fight with Serra.

You don't realy believe he is not a good strike. Do you?

I say he's not a bad striker but he's definitely not a good one either.
He's extremely fast and dynamic and the few punches he knows are almost flawless.
But take a closer look at those recent over hand rights for example and tell me that's perfect technique, you get my drift.

When is the last time you saw GSP throw a left hook?

Have fun.

What is obvious? That Silva got destroyed on the feet by a wrestler for 4 and a half rounds, while GSP IMO hasn't lost a single round in striking since when... BJ 1.
Even with the several intentional eye pokes, Shields did nothing to George. I had it 50-45 GSP.

He is the best p4p striker in all of the UFC IMO.

Admit it, you never watched Silva-Sonnen.

He stood with Condit and got dropped by a headkick, he got outstruck. He didn't drop Condit or seriously hurt Condit with his strikes on the feet. Condit is the better striker but this is MMA and obviously striking isn't everything. Yes no one can decision a fighter like GSP, can't argue that one...

Is that why GSP had more strikes and more significant strikes in round 1,2, and 5? GSP beat Condit on his feet and on the ground. Condit is one of my favorite fighters, he had two good moments in the whole fight.

I keep reading about how poor GSPs striking is because of the Jake Shields fight.

On SD you also regularly hear one of those 'truths':
- GSP lays his way to victory
- GSP cannot take a shot
- GSP has no heart
- GSP is boring to watch

Never mind the idiots is what I say.

Back