Lettuce
Spinach (fresh)
Broccoli

Non-leafy that are also good:

Snow Peas
Green Beans
Zucchini
Cucumber

It's best to get fresh vegetables and cook them either boiled, steamed, or baked, pan fried isn't terrible but use a natural olive or vegetable oil. If you use canned veggies be sure to get the ones that come in their own juices, otherwise it's sugar-water.

Corn and carrots are alright in moderation, but they're mostly sugar.

Whole grains (to replace white starches):

Instead of white bread use wheat - Any wheat with 2% daily fiber intake per serving is best. I use Nature's Own Honey Wheat. Soft and tasty, and much healthier than white, less salt and sugar used in making it.

Instead of white potato use Sweet Potatoes. You can prepare them all the same ways, even fries.

Instead of white rice, Brown Rice, or Long Grain Wild Rice. The best way to cook Brown Rice is in a pressure cooker, or else it takes forever, but is much healthier.

Avoiding side-dishes is a key factor these days. Mac and cheese, potatoes with cheese, all these side-dishes add nothing more than sugar, salt, and saturated fat to your meals and are hardly necessary. They're alright on occasion, but do not benefit a person to eat day-to-day.

Meat:

Leanest cuts possible, tends to be more expensive, but worth it.

Beef:

99% Lean Ground Beef
Eye-round roast
Brisket
Cubed cut

Chicken:

Boneless, skinless breast
Skinless breast
Wings

Turkey:

Ground Turkey
Wings
Breast
99% Fat-free Turkey Bacon (pretty tasty, too)

Pork:

Boneless Chops
Loin cuts
Leg meat

Fish:

You basically can't go wrong here, though some fish have more fat than others.

Here are the better fruits:

Cantaloupe
Apples
Fresh Apricot
Bananas
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Oranges
Papaya
Peach
Plum
Strawberries
Tangerines
Tomatoes (also has Lycopene, very healthy for eyes)

Dairy:

Eggs are actually fine. Nothing wrong with them.
Cheeses are not horrible but use the lowest fat cheeses you can find.
Skim Milk
Yogurt is great, has acidophilus, keeps your digestive system bacteria-free. Low fat and sugar is a good way to go.

Here's some snack ideas if you HAVE to snack:

Chips - Use Sun Chips or Baked Lays. Also Wheat Thins works, much healthier.
Sweets - Anytime I crave sweets hardcore I usually either have one of the bars from GNC, or I have some Oatmeal. Oatmeal is GREAT, and cures cravings for cookies. Jello also works good.
Soda - Crystal Light Iced Teas. They have no salt or sugar. If you feel like you NEED soda, using the diet sodas is good. I use Diet Vanilla Pepsi, Diet Sprite, and Diet Dr. Pepper.
Cereal - I crave cereal hardcore. I use the Honey Bunches of Oats, the kind with fruit in them. Works wonders. No more Lucky Charms.

Almonds - Raw almonds are a GREAT source of good fat and protein.
Raw Cashews
Peanuts

Black and Red beans are very good, as are kidney beans.

It is a very good list, hwever I would try to stay away from the snack food section and the soda section completly. Despite the name Wheat Thins actually have a pretty good amount of fat.

But thanks King, I wrote down a few of your ideas.

Some things I eat and buy alot are

PROTEIN-
tuna paced in water
chicken breast in a can with a pop top, you can drain it and eat it on the go when nessecary.
egg whites ( like egg beaters)
salmon
cod
halibut
round teak
top sirlon

COMPLEX CARBS

baked pottato
oatmeal
whole wheat bread
pita bread
whole wheat pancake mix
lentils
chickpeas
brown rice
sweet potatoe

CARBS SIMPLE

apple
cantaloupe
strawberries
orange
pear
lemon
peach
banana
grapes
grapefruit
tangerines
cherries
skim milk

CARBS COMPLEX FIBROUS

asparagus
broccoli
cabbage
celery
mushrooms
bell peppers
spinach
squash
green beans
cauliflower
cucumber
lettuce
tomato
zucchini

GOOD FATS

peanut butter
extra virgin olive oil
flaxseed oil
fish oils
avacado

Hope that helped some, I know lots were repeats from King's list but this is my usual list.

Note that the snacking part says "IF YOU HAVE TO SNACK"...generally that's a no. But let's face it, not everyone eats perfectly all the time. Something that resembles chips made of wheat (and actually they come reduced fat and low-sodium), and sodas with no calories (notwithstanding all the hoopla about aspartame) on an occasional basis aren't going to kill anyone.

King Kabuki said:
Note that the snacking part says "IF YOU HAVE TO SNACK"...generally that's a no. But let's face it, not everyone eats perfectly all the time. Something that resembles chips made of wheat (and actually they come reduced fat and low-sodium), and sodas with no calories (notwithstanding all te hoopla about aspartame) on an occasional basis aren't going to kill anyone.

Oh I wasnt dogging your list by any means. I just try to stay away from the stuff at alll costs. Im not much of a snack food eater by nature anyway, which is good. I was just trying to give a little of my own input, but by all means your list was impressive (I even took a few of the ideas for my own).

I havent drank anything other than water or milk in over 6 months so so far so good

Yeah, it's always the best way to go, but Rj who posts up here made a good point in that a lot of these kids looking for advice have not the will-power, nor incentive (since their fighting isn't substanciating their income) to refrain from cheat-foods entirely. Taking that in-mind, the next-best thing a person can do is give them the least-harmful alternatives to junk.

Dang Kabuki that's a nice list there. What about the frozen veggies? I usually get the big frozen bag of broccoli and steam them. Are those good too?

I prefer fresh to Frozen. Frozen is cheaper, but less-effective for all the nutrients and benefits of green vegetables.

Thanks for the list KK. A few questions:

If you had to choose between frozen veggies or canned which would you choose (or does it depend on the vegetable itself)?

I have about two acres of land and have more chicken, duck, goose and quail eggs then I know what to do with (they're free roaming pets, not really farm animals) so would they be healthier for me then say store bought or egg beaters?

If I don't have pasta at least three times a week I'm not myself so are there any healthier alternatives to bleached flour pasta (was thinking about buying a pasta maker and making whole noodles)?

Happnin' Mojo said:

If you had to choose between frozen veggies or canned which would you choose (or does it depend on the vegetable itself)?

I have about two acres of land and have more chicken, duck, goose and quail eggs then I know what to do with (they're free roaming pets, not really farm animals) so would they be healthier for me then say store bought or egg beaters?

If I don't have pasta at least three times a week I'm not myself so are there any healthier alternatives to bleached flour pasta (was thinking about buying a pasta maker and making whole noodles)?

Typically I would say that frozen is better than canned because the canned veggies usually have sodium or other things added whereas the frozen are less likely to. Also the heat involved in canning would destroy more nutrients than freezing (I don;t have any evidence to prove this but thats what I have always learned)

The free roaming eggs are MUCH better than regular eggs, no hormones, no antibiotics, better nutrient content in the eggs, etc.

Most markets sell whole wheat pasta (or spinach pasta), check in the pasta aisle next time you are there.

Canned veggies have preseratives.
Frozen veggies usually are missing some nutrients.

Better off getting fresh and steaming them for 2 mins. If you over steam, you lose nutrients.

King Kabuki said:
Note that the snacking part says "IF YOU HAVE TO SNACK"...generally that's a no. But let's face it, not everyone eats perfectly all the time. Something that resembles chips made of wheat (and actually they come reduced fat and low-sodium), and sodas with no calories (notwithstanding all the hoopla about aspartame) on an occasional basis aren't going to kill anyone.
I think the best thing I did for my diet was invest some time in making healthy snacks. I eat granola bars instead of cookies now and I really feel like that's a significant improvement.

My whey powered banana ice cream wasn't the healthiest thing in the world, but it was a small step ahead of eating a bowl full of store bought stuff. Stay tuned for a whey packed cookie recipe some time in the near future. While ice cream and cookies will always be junk (cheat) food, you CAN make them a little healthier and make them contribute more to your goals. But it's still like worrying about a cut on your arm when you just got shot in the stomach.

Happnin' Mojo said:

very good idea, pasta is one of the easiest thing to make
1 egg for every 100g of whole wheat, one spoon of virgin olive oil, salt, done !

Spinach pasta > all other types of pasta.

Whole wheat would be next IMO.

Fresh veggies > all others.

Happnin' Mojo said:

frozen is much better, less sodium and ther preservatives.
as for pasta give whole wheat pasta a shot

I think this grocery thread would make a pretty good sticky.

Thanks for all the info guys. And I agree with the sticky suggestion or perhaps merge this with the recipe sticky....

Back