Grocery List

yeah i agree with the sticky idea maybe not THIS thread but KK should make a sticky grocery one because everyones knows WHAT they can eat but for some reason i like others just wind up getting chicken and brown rice with a big jug of water lol so its always nice to have some reference sitting somewhere

I have to add ***Fresca***

Delicious, cool, refreshing, 0 calories. I hate diet sodas, and didn't even notice Fresca uses aspartame, it's pretty tasty.

Canned Salmon
I make salmon burgers. I completely stopped eating any other burger. I can give you a recipe, but I'm going to bed.

Also another canned fish: albacore, similar to tuna but has more of a bite and better texture so it holds up well and can be used for other things such as a topping on a pesto dish.

not even just different groceries, but doing something different with the same stuff. For example, ill eat chicken like 3 times a week, sometimes i barbeque it, sometimes i make fajiitaas with onions and green pepper, sometimes i make gumbo/jumboliya.

Or eggs for that matter, plain old eggs get boring, add some mushrooms, onions, peppers... yummy stuff thats healthy..

About sweet potatoes, not only are they great for you, but i prefer the taste of them to regular 100x, they are seriously fuckin awsome.

same with oatmeal, you can add so many different fruits and nuts, a little cinammon and brown sugar...

Search for a good chili recipe, chili is awsome and keeps you fed for days

Fish of any sort is sweet and you can prepare it so many ways..

+1 to whomever mentioned salmon bugers, they taste really good and are healthy and relatively inexpensive.

Good suggestions, I will be coming back to this thread when I am a tad more conscious to study it.

amandakissnhug said:
Canned Salmon
I make salmon burgers. I completely stopped eating any other burger. I can give you a recipe, but I'm going to bed.

I'd be interested in seeing that recipe, when you get a chance.

King Kabuki said:
Spinach pasta > all other types of pasta.

Whole wheat would be next IMO.

Fresh veggies > all others.
Agreed. Make sure to watch out for spinach pastas with too much added oil to the recipes (just check the fat content).

Also, Kabuki, you got broccoli in your "Leafy" section, but unless I'm mistaken, broccoli is considered a cruciferous vegetable, not a leafy veggie. Plus, I'd add Chard to the leafy section. Swiss Chard (the red one) or regular Chard (the green one). Chard's on par with Spinach. So is Kale, but I haven't figured out how to cook with it, and it's always difficult to find simple recipes including veggies that are also healthy. I fucking hate those recipe books where recipes all have like 20 ingredients and 7 or 8 of them are like 1/4 teaspoon.

Now that I think of it, I found this page perusing Wikipedia a while ago. Perhaps it could go in the sticky with the thread or an official Sherdog Grocery List:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetables
Now that's comprehensive.

Bman said:
yeah i agree with the sticky idea maybe not THIS thread but KK should make a sticky grocery one because everyones knows WHAT they can eat but for some reason i like others just wind up getting chicken and brown rice with a big jug of water lol so its always nice to have some reference sitting somewhere
Yeah, I agree, Kabuki, you should devise an official list from this thread, then start your own, close it, and sticky that.

Yeah I been meaning to do that but I been lazy this week. Wait no I haven't. I been posting threads with studies in them. I been lazy for editing.

I put Broccoli in the leafy section because most people don't eat the stalks (from my experience), but I do. Counting the stalk I could see it being cruciferous, but just the heads I believe are considered leafy. Could be mistaken though. I'll devise a list sometime relatively soon. Man that's gonna make the FAQ long as Hell. lol

King Kabuki said:
Yeah I been meaning to do that but I been lazy this week. Wait no I haven't. I been posting threads with studies in them. I been lazy for editing.

I put Broccoli in the leafy section because most people don't eat the stalks (from my experience), but I do. Counting the stalk I could see it being cruciferous, but just the heads I believe are considered leafy. Could be mistaken though. I'll devise a list sometime relatively soon. Man that's gonna make the FAQ long as Hell. lol
IMO, it's becoming the best primer in the whole forum.

King Kabuki said:
Spinach pasta > all other types of pasta.

Whole wheat would be next IMO.

Fresh veggies > all others.

I too like pasta and have tried most of the healthy noodle alternatives i could find and not only is the spinach pasta better for you than even the whole wheat but it tastes beter imho as well.

I even like it better than the standard noodles just significantly more expensive in comparison to the dirt cheap regular noodles.

Additionaly hav eto keep in mindthat most whole wheat products still use some forum of enriched flours.

My random two bits:

-diet pop - a workmate has claimed that the bad thing about diet pop is that the carbonation makes you feel hungry and that leads to binge snacking. Better than sugared pop though.

-brown rice + refried beans (made from black beans) go well together. My biggest issue with brown rice is that often I douse it with soya sauce (AKA sodium sauce) to make it more palatable. Mixing it with refried beans sort of solves this. Great tex-mex side dish. A work mate made refried beans with lots of cilantro and chilies which somewhat negated the need to add salt to bring up the flavour. Very yummy. You may fart like crazy for a while but your body soon adjusts.

-broccoli/spinach/potatoes all roughly blended together with some curry powder is another awesome side dish for anyone who may not like the taste of the individual ingredients on their own or who wants to avoid fundamentally healthy foods that are somewhat comprised by the addition of things like butter, sour cream or a sauce.

The best advice I ever heard about grocery shopping is, only shop around the outer edges of the store (produce, dairy, butcher etc). Avoid the center aisles altogether (unless you're shopping for toilet paper or something), most of the packaged crap is no good.
99% of my shopping is done in the produce section.

Here's what I just bought:
1 25 pound bag of organic brown rice
1 5 pound bag of frozen skinless, boneless hutterite chicken breasts (hutterite chickens are freeranged and raised organically. hutterites are similar to the amish and sell their livestock and vegetables for money)
5 1 lb bags of mixed frozen organic vegetables, consisting of chopped asparagus, brocoli, carrots, green beans, lima beans, and peas
2 lbs of 99% lean ribeye steaks
2 lbs of 99% lean ground beef
1 2.5lb pork loin
4 cans of black beans
5 cans of kidney beans
1 gallon of organic whole milk
1 pound of baby carrots
3 loaves of whole grain wheat bread
2 pounds of organic peanut butter

I wanted to buy some nice Gjetost or Wensleydale today (Cheese is my weakness, I'm a cheese connoisseur) but I didn't have enough money.

Back