Grip Strength - BJJ

Caio terra and marcelo garcia, 2 world champions and some of the best p4p conpetitirs in bjj today dont strength train or condition outside of their jiu jitsu training and have admitted they find it unnecessary

Okay, evidence was a poor choice of word. Could you offer up some proof?

So, that's a no?

thats a source, which is is enough evidence for you.
but seeing as how you spend all your time in the S&C forums make me realize that you dont know much about JJ and it pains you too see athletes who dont weight train have the ability to dominate in their sports. good day sir

point was grip training is overrated for bjj and there are top athletes who dont do any.
proof was my sources

I think the opinion of two athletes does not prove that grip work is useless, nor would any amount of opinions, and you think it does. We can be done here.

Thats ridiculous. He wont gain weight from grip training. Also he fights guys much bigger than him and wins openweight titles. The guys he beats weight train while he doesnt. He admitted he dislikes training outside of bjj.

Caio terra and marcelo garcia, 2 world champions and some of the best p4p conpetitirs in bjj today dont strength train or condition outside of their jiu jitsu training and have admitted they find it unnecessary

I didn't say Caio would gain weight just from training his grip. I said he would gain weight from strength training in general, so it's in his interest not to lift weights if he wants to stay a roosterweight. Caio beats bigger guys in the absolute division at smaller, regional tournaments because those guys are way below his skill level. He does not beat other top-ranked competitive black belts who are much heavier than him. He also whines when he loses to people in his own weight class, claiming they must be on steroids, because they feel ten times stronger than him.

And MG is to BJJ as MJ is to basketball. It doesn't matter what kind of S&C Marcelo does, he is just that good.

And yeah, it is possible to get really, really good at a sport just by doing that sport a lot and nothing else. But proper S&C training in addition to your sport training improves your physical attributes, giving you a distinct advantage. Furthermore, if you're already very, very good, the marginal benefit of a couple hours per week of S&C could easily outweigh that of a couple hours of more sport training. I don't think this is even controversial.

If your technique sucks on the other hand, obviously you should spend most of your free time learning and practicing good technique, not doing grip strengthening exercises.

Last edited:
Caio does S&C, just this year after a win he was quacking about how his hands were shredded from doing too many pull ups

snoop dogg, your avatar looks familiar. did you by any chance post some controversial stuff in the grappling forum before? i cant place it..

point was grip training is overrated for bjj and there are top athletes who dont do any.
proof was my sources

that proves shit

First athletes lie all the time about their training regimen to keep their edge

Secondly, using two exceptions who have been rolling for all their lives many hours a day and a probably genetically gifted as the rule is plain stupid.

It's like saying " I can do the front fullsplit without a warm up because i'm hypermobile so flexibility training is bullshit and no one needs to do it "

The fact that they doesn't need to adress this specifically doesn't mean the average Joe doesn't

that proves shit

First athletes lie all the time about their training regimen to keep their edge

Secondly, using two exceptions who have been rolling for all their lives many hours a day and a probably genetically gifted as the rule is plain stupid.

It's like saying " I can do the front fullsplit without a warm up because i'm hypermobile so flexibility training is bullshit and no one needs to do it "

The fact that they doesn't need to adress this specifically doesn't mean the average Joe doesn't
okay so while youre chilling on your couch working your grips using a tool you got from big 5 sporting goods, your opponent will be on the mat rolling or doing something useful. train how you want, its just advice

People being successful without grip training =/= no need for grip training.

It's stupidly easy to get extra grip work in and it has absolutely zero negative consequences. Can't imagine why someone would be this zealous about not doing grip training.

Anyway, IMO the only two kinds of training you should do for bjj (or judo, or any other gi-based MA) are regular exercises with a lapel and wrist work.

I have a pair of lapel attachments for machines (or barbells, or whatever) in my locker that are WAY better than throwing an actual gi over a chin up bar or whatever. I'll check the brand and repost tonite.

For wrist work, absolutely nothing beats sledgehammers and there's a lot of info on the "Lever Shot" thread somewhere here.

okay so while youre chilling on your couch working your grips using a tool you got from big 5 sporting goods, your opponent will be on the mat rolling or doing something useful. train how you want, its just advice

And while my fight gym is closed, rather than just sitting on the couch, I'm heading down to the normal gym, to help me improve my abilities rather than to sit and do nothing. And when I'm at home chilling with my partner, because in a relationship you spend time together, I might be able to get in that little bit more work to supplement what I already do in the gym.

There's no point in being in a relationship, all you need to do is roll.

Its funny that you say these things, when you're just a high school blue belt.

Any grip training routine, especially for BJJ, that lacks wrist roller and sledgehammer work is incredibly flawed.

Kind of like snoop dogg's grasp of logic.

Back