Greg Hardy: How does an elite NFL athlete not have cardio built up from years of training?

The same reason an Olympic sprinter doesn't have the cardio to go longer than 10 - 45 seconds. American football isn't an endurance sport.

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...

Ya.heres why

.FOOTBALL AINT SHIT COMPARED TO FIGHTING

A LEVEL ATHLETE NON SENSe

Running with a ball is nothing compared to punching kicking and grappling for 5 mins at a time

As you can see from his fights he can bull rush any opponent and overpower them, however his conditioning was meant for short explosive bursts

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...

NFL players are trained to play in short, violent bursts. How long does each play last? 3 or 4 seconds? Then rest and reset. Fighting is non-stop for 5 minutes. The two sports are worlds apart.

There's a reason why marathon running translates much better to in ring stamina than swimming.

Football plays are like 10 seconds. He tries to beat the guy or two guys across from him and if he gets to the QB cool and if not the ball is thrown and he's essentially done with the play. He might semi-jog to where the play is going but it's very rare he'd still be the one to make a play.

Because sherdoggers have always confused cardio with endurance, whereas there is overlap between the two, they're not the same thing.

NFL athletes at his position are designed for short quick bursts of energy and then they need a break before they're able to do it over again. That's cardio, but not great endurance. Take a long distance runner and have him perform in the same way that Hardy does for the NFL and he'll be gassed before Hardy.

You’re mixing things up

what you’re talking about is sport specific conditioning.

Cardio is ability to breathe efficiently as intensity increases (lung function/capacity)

endurance is ability of muscles to sustain an activity for longer period (muscle adaptation)

Long distance runner will have elite cardio, however his endurance will be sport specific.

Have you ever watched an NFL game?

They are never required to exert themselves for more than a few seconds at a time.

Big difference in the sports. All the points have already been said. Defensive lineman need the short burst per play. You'll see up tempo offenses will tire out out DLs pretty easily without huddling when they just run back to back plays. DLs in those situations can't wait for a quick huddle, timeout or to be relieved by a backup.

How long is the average NFL play TS ?

NFL players sprint for 5 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, rinse, wash, repeat, then they sit down for 10 minutes while the other side of the team is on the field. There are NFL players who are morbidly obese, LOL.

Football is not a cardio-intensive sport. They go full speed in short bursts. It's strength and power based. It aint marathon running.

NFL doesn’t have USADA. Every football fan knows they used PEDS, if you think pro football players are clean, you’re crazy.

I know the ins and outs of football and that was not the point here. He's been training as an MMA athlete for over three years, that is the point here. Just because he played football doesn't mean he still trains as a football player.

Some of you seem to be incapable of holding these two thoughts in your head at the same time and are missing why his panting in the post fight interview was remarkable.

because american football = fake sport so that fat ass mcTrumpers can feel good about themselves

It also shows that transition from one sport to another might not be as straightforward as simple improvements on cardio.

Also, was this Hardy's longest fight?

Football is the wrong sport to transition to mma from. Yes you will most likely be big and strong and have good hand to eye etc, but you train specifically to be able to go 100 percent for 5 seconds or so at a time, with a 20 second break in between plays. I started wrestling young and it was so much more intensive training than football that by the time I hit hs football the practices were a joke in comparison. I think the best major American sport to transition from would be basketball, you have prolonged periods where you need to somewhat reserve yourself because you don't know exactly when the next break will be, you have parts where you need to explode and parts where you can rest a little. Imagine Kobe, who's work ethic and ferocity were legend, who had a great 2 way game which requires excellent cardio. He was 6'6 with a 6'11 armspan and obviously incredible hand to eye, that guy (or Jordan obviously) could have been the greatest fighter ever if he trained mma like he did basketball. The NFL could for sure bring us some ngannou like talents, but it's the nba that could bring us a true god of fighting imo.

JR Smith would be champ with two months of honing his spinning shit skills.

cQAehiJ.gif

Football = High intensity, short bursts. About 30 -40 seconds of rest between plays

combat sports = varied intensity, long intervals 3/5 minutes with 1 minute of rest between rounds.

Its not rocket science ts.

get what you’re saying, but long distance runners can also pump out short bursts of energy and be fine. They just don’t have as much power. Anyone that can pump out a 5 minute mile is not going to gas doing sprints or short interval work, they just won’t generate as much power.
I don’t believe that is true. If you get an iron man type of athlete and make them play an entire soccer match of 90 minutes the conditioning doesn’t translate that well. Happened to my friend to who was doing iron mans. Once he switched back to soccer the endurance didn’t translate that well.

Have you watched football? Lol, what kind of question is this?

Back